Ladies strength training diet. Then vs now???

Options
ZRx4
ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
Hello fellow lifters!

I'm a newbie lifter (7weeks in) and lately I'm struggling with my diet. I did whole30 for about a month and once I started lifting I was craving cheese, bread, peanut butter and unsweetened whole wheat muffins, anything I really wouldn't eat on whole30. So I've given into my temptations and can't help but feel like all those yummy things are gonna throw off my results, plus I haven't been tracking anything. But I'm so HANGRY all the time!!! How many calories did you start off with, while losing? How many do you currently eat? Do you really need pre or post snack? Should I avoid butters and dairy?

I'm about 10-15 lbs to my goal, but at 5'7" and 153lbs I could just lean out a bit, but have no idea how to do that. Do I need to stick to 1600 a day? I'm starving all the time!!! Please help a HANGRY sista out!

TIA!!

Replies

• JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Hey girl, I was heavy into lifting about 2 years ago and I am slowly moving back into it in the coming weeks. I can relate to that hunger - I was eating like a Hobbit (multiple breakfasts and dinners) - and after about 8 weeks I was also very hungry for other things :wink:

How much protein are you having a day? If you are lifting seriously, and heavy, 1600 calories sounds like far too little for you. I'll wait for someone else to jump in with more specifics since I am a bit rusty, but have you tried using a TDEE calculator?
  • JessHealthKick
    JessHealthKick Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Just to add, here is my diary from when I was doing a recomp, not losing/gaining but lifting heavy when I was 5"7 and 140lb

Comfortably over 2k calories per day, over 150g protein per day.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/JessHealthKick?date=2014-01-29
  • aprilricks86
    aprilricks86 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I would suggest looking into IIFYM.com's calorie counter or Scooby's calorie calculator to see what that says as far as calories you should be consuming to lose weight. Those are my go-to calculators and after watching my intake (off and on) for nearly 4 years now, I've found those 2 to be the most accurate. I'm around your height and am currently sitting at 141 pounds, to lose weight I am eating around 1750 calories / day and I'm 30. Your numbers may be different acc' to your activity level, time you're giving yourself to lose weight, etc. . . Give it a try!

Also, I have been lifting weights for about 3 years now and I remember when I first started I was absolutely starving! Esp. when I really started to lift heavier and challenge myself. Not sure if it's because I'm a bit older or just used to lifting but my hunger isn't as intense as it once was, so that may subside for you as well but who knows.

Good luck!
  • ZRx4
    Options
    Hey girl, I was heavy into lifting about 2 years ago and I am slowly moving back into it in the coming weeks. I can relate to that hunger - I was eating like a Hobbit (multiple breakfasts and dinners) - and after about 8 weeks I was also very hungry for other things :wink:

How much protein are you having a day? If you are lifting seriously, and heavy, 1600 calories sounds like far too little for you. I'll wait for someone else to jump in with more specifics since I am a bit rusty, but have you tried using a TDEE calculator?

Thanks for the reply. I just checked out your diary and that was a huge help. Thank you!

I eat around 80-120 grams protein a day, guesstimate. I haven't been tracking very well lately, as I have been eating all things and have been kinda down about that lol. I have protein shakes in the morning and sometimes later in the day along with chicken or whatever for dinner. Lately I'm not really digging meat and am thinking of trying to sub that out, by way of nuts, butters, eggs, legumes and protein shakes. I eat really well otherwise, all homemade and not so processed.

I've been reading on lift days you eat more and lots less on off days. I'm super active tho and not eating much scares me. But I guess that would put me around 2100 lift days and 1600 non lift days. I guess I'll check out the calculator next! Mfp wants me to eat 1560 a day!
  • ZRx4
    Options
    I would suggest looking into IIFYM.com's calorie counter or Scooby's calorie calculator to see what that says as far as calories you should be consuming to lose weight. Those are my go-to calculators and after watching my intake (off and on) for nearly 4 years now, I've found those 2 to be the most accurate. I'm around your height and am currently sitting at 141 pounds, to lose weight I am eating around 1750 calories / day and I'm 30. Your numbers may be different acc' to your activity level, time you're giving yourself to lose weight, etc. . . Give it a try!

Also, I have been lifting weights for about 3 years now and I remember when I first started I was absolutely starving! Esp. when I really started to lift heavier and challenge myself. Not sure if it's because I'm a bit older or just used to lifting but my hunger isn't as intense as it once was, so that may subside for you as well but who knows.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info! I'll check out those calculators. I'm just now getting into heavy, 105 lb deadlift, 80lb squat, 75 bench, OHP and rows. So perhaps that is influencing it. I was also thinking my monthly friend is about due to visit, so that could be playing part too. I'm 32 btw. I'm hoping it subsides and soon! Tho I haven't gained, so that's good lol :smiley:
  • ZRx4
    Options
    Iifym recommends 2030 to cut. Interesting Info!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I tried doing paleo before I started lifting. As soon as I did I found out I needed to eat more carbs. I've been lifting for two years now and don't restrict any foods. I maintain my 116lbs (5'2", 47 yrs old) on around 2000 calories with exercise.
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    I was an eating machine when I was lifting heavy. You need those calories to build that muscle!
  • bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Options
    Keep your deficit small - maybe 10%. Do you find that you are hungrier the day you lift? The day after you lift? You can try eating a little less when you are not so hungry so that you have more calories available for the days you are. Think of your calorie goal as a weekly one not a daily one.

Pay attention to how full certain foods make you feel. (Potatoes fill me up. I think the yukon gold potatoes are flavorful and I can eat a hearty portion with just a little pepper.)

You do not need a pre or post workout snack - but have one if it makes it easier to stick to your goals.

You don't need to avoid any foods. Definitely don't avoid fat. Fat plays an important role in body functions. Just be aware that certain foods may make you retain water (a higher sodium day or a very carb heavy day). It is just water weight and it will go away in a few days - nothing to be feared.
  • ZRx4
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »
    Keep your deficit small - maybe 10%. Do you find that you are hungrier the day you lift? The day after you lift? You can try eating a little less when you are not so hungry so that you have more calories available for the days you are. Think of your calorie goal as a weekly one not a daily one.

Pay attention to how full certain foods make you feel. (Potatoes fill me up. I think the yukon gold potatoes are flavorful and I can eat a hearty portion with just a little pepper.)

You do not need a pre or post workout snack - but have one if it makes it easier to stick to your goals.

You don't need to avoid any foods. Definitely don't avoid fat. Fat plays an important role in body functions. Just be aware that certain foods may make you retain water (a higher sodium day or a very carb heavy day). It is just water weight and it will go away in a few days - nothing to be feared.

I think I'm hungrier the day after, but after my sat night lift, I came home starving! I had an after work out snack (1/2 banana and peanut butter), not typical for me to do that.

I love the idea of eating any food I want, but I really have plateaued on losing. After adding SL I've lost about 2 lbs in 7 weeks. Not in a rush and as long as I see the scale moving, I'm happy. I know this is a long term kinda thing, lifting and eating. I'm just worried all my eating will screw my hard work. I do love fats, I've never shied away from them. Sugars and carbs (grains), yes. I've always been one of those people who did lots of cardio and hiit, after a recent injury, I needed a break and thought lifting would be fun to try. It just seems too easy, only workout a few days per week and eat all things, as opposed to don't eat much and workout 5-6 days a week.
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    I tried doing paleo before I started lifting. As soon as I did I found out I needed to eat more carbs. I've been lifting for two years now and don't restrict any foods. I maintain my 116lbs (5'2", 47 yrs old) on around 2000 calories with exercise.
    You look amazing! AMAZING! I hope to achieve your bulk! You give me hope that I can eat what I want and when I want lol! Thanks for the reply!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,912 Member
    Options
    randeortiz wrote: »

Thanks for the reply. I just checked out your diary and that was a huge help. Thank you!

I eat around 80-120 grams protein a day, guesstimate. I haven't been tracking very well lately, as I have been eating all things and have been kinda down about that lol. I have protein shakes in the morning and sometimes later in the day along with chicken or whatever for dinner. Lately I'm not really digging meat and am thinking of trying to sub that out, by way of nuts, butters, eggs, legumes and protein shakes. I eat really well otherwise, all homemade and not so processed.

I've been reading on lift days you eat more and lots less on off days. I'm super active tho and not eating much scares me. But I guess that would put me around 2100 lift days and 1600 non lift days. I guess I'll check out the calculator next! Mfp wants me to eat 1560 a day!

MFP wants you to eat 1560 a day BEFORE exercise.

Sounds like you are undereating, which triggers binges, which wipes out your calorie deficit. Try eating back at least 50% of the calories you get from exercise from MFP.
  • ZRx4
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    [

MFP wants you to eat 1560 a day BEFORE exercise.

Sounds like you are undereating, which triggers binges, which wipes out your calorie deficit. Try eating back at least 50% of the calories you get from exercise from MFP.

I never ate my exercise calories back. I always read you shouldn't. Definitely gonna up my protein and track my calories for a bit and see if upping my protein/ calories help. It could be like you say too much deficit. Thank you!
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    bioklutz wrote: »

I think I'm hungrier the day after, but after my sat night lift, I came home starving! I had an after work out snack (1/2 banana and peanut butter), not typical for me to do that.

I love the idea of eating any food I want, but I really have plateaued on losing. After adding SL I've lost about 2 lbs in 7 weeks. Not in a rush and as long as I see the scale moving, I'm happy. I know this is a long term kinda thing, lifting and eating. I'm just worried all my eating will screw my hard work. I do love fats, I've never shied away from them. Sugars and carbs (grains), yes. I've always been one of those people who did lots of cardio and hiit, after a recent injury, I needed a break and thought lifting would be fun to try. It just seems too easy, only workout a few days per week and eat all things, as opposed to don't eat much and workout 5-6 days a week.
    Sumiblue wrote: »
    You look amazing! AMAZING! I hope to achieve your bulk! You give me hope that I can eat what I want and when I want lol! Thanks for the reply!

Aw, thanks! I feel better than I ever have, truly. Lifting weights had been life changing for me. It's taught me that I can take something that seems huge (weight loss, fitness, projects, cleaning my house-haha) and break it down into sections and get it done.

I have a lot less stress about food now. I plan for splurge meals and nothing terrible happens. I love to cook and eat and I get to enjoy all that.

I eat my exercise calories from lifting and Fitbit activity and enjoy every last one
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i eat more protein and complex carbs after i lift - a banana and peanut butter aren't gonna help you build strength and muscle like oats or bread and egg whites or greek yogurt.