Smith machine squats

Options
amiwills
amiwills Posts: 46 Member
Hi everyone. Yesterday I tried the smith machine for squats for the first time, just to try it out. I recently started lifting and I only go up in weight when my partner comes with me on a Sunday, so that he can spot me. So I thought smith machine would be helpful due to its self spotting and I'd have more confidence to go heavier when I'm on my own. My back really hurts today and I'm never going to go near it again.

Just some quick questions. Should I wait until my back feels better to do squats/lifting again? I usually do it every third day. Also, does the smith machine allow you to squat heavier than you usually would?

Replies

• clay0904
    clay0904 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Smith machine in general is just awful and I highly recommend not using it for squats. You don't need a spotter for squats unless you are moving serious weights (like competition bodybuilder type which I doubt you are). Try to use a free bar for a more natural range of motion as smith machine can restrict range of motion causing the injury.
  • uggins311
    uggins311 Posts: 2,204 Member
    Options
    Smith Machine=Garbage.... I only use the one at my work's gym for pull ups, it is not designed to go with any range of motion that is natural to your squat. Squat again once your back stops hurting.
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Three days should be enough recovery unless you really screwed the pooch. See how you feel on lift day.

The smith constrains the bar to a perfectly vertical path. If you have perfect form on the squat, it shouldn't be an issue, but in reality it almost always is. Don't you have access to a squat rack or power rack? Shouldn't need a spotter if you're using either of those. And how are you determining your increases? Almost sounds like you're just randomly increasing weights instead of following a programmed progression...easy to get in over your head that way -- probably why you tweaked your back.
  • amiwills
    amiwills Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I was using a barbell for squats and was only on 20kg. I only put 10kg on either side of smith machine, I just wanted to see how I liked it. It felt extremely unnatural and I will never use it again. I have literally only just started following strong lifts, for the first few weeks I was doing squats with body weight so that I would get the form right. So don't worry guys, I am looking to do this properly! I do have a power rack at my gym and that is what I'll be using. Thanks again
  • Shawshankcan
    Shawshankcan Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Smith machines are also normally counter balanced.
  • 2015Jason
    2015Jason Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    This is an interesting thread as I messed up my lower back last Thursday doing squats with a Smith machine. My gym is a Planet Fitness and doesn't have much on free weights- just dumbbells and Smiths. IF I do squats on the machine again, I'm getting the trainer to work on my form.
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    i have never seen anyone doing a squat in a smith machine that is anything close to the form of a barbell squat. You are better off squatting less weight with a barbell , than you are doing some heavier, awkward form squat in the smith machine. You're better off on the leg press or hack squat machine than the smith machine