Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Weight Loss Clothing Issues!

2»

Replies

• dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    During my weight loss process, I switched to skirts. They are so much easier to deal with because the fit doesn't have to be perfect.

I like this idea. I've been buying a lot of skirts and dresses lately, too, not just for cost and comfort, but also because I'm finally getting down to a size where dresses look better on me. I used to hate wearing them because I felt like I was too fat, and the cuter ones were always too small.
    I agree that second hand is the way to go during weight loss mode, as well. I saved a lot on clothing that way. Now that I'm getting close to my goal, I'm ok with buying new again.
    My one problem is with some tops and dresses. I have trouble fitting in the smaller sizes, not because of my waist for once, but because the bust is usually way too small for me.

• tlflag1620
    tlflag1620 Posts: 1,358 Member
    I bought used jeans on eBay for the intermediate sizes (I also need a long inseam). There are specific brands that I know fit my body type well and I just looked for those; was able to find them for an average of $15 per pair (normally they would be in the $60-$80 range; I don't believe in $150 jeans). And I find I only need two or three pairs available - I wear them two or three times before washing, unless they get spilled on or something. Now that I'm at goal weight I don't mind spending a bit more on clothes, but i feel your pain - it sucks having to spend money on something that you know you'll only wear a short time, yet you want to wear flattering clothes as you lose weight!
  • KDar1988
    KDar1988 Posts: 650 Member
    kmbrooks15 wrote: »
    KDar1988 wrote: »
    Love that I'm shrinking, but hate when I put on my clothes they hang on me so sloppy. I have blown through sizes where I've only worn something a few times (and I don't have a lot of clothes anyway!) I have to have clothes so I just buy a couple new tops here and there, fortunately I have 2 pair of black pants I wear to work and alternate them, at least they still fit for now. I hate to give away my big clothes "just in case" I gain weight, but hope that's not in the plan!

See, if I keep my big clothes "just in case", it makes it that much easier to gain back. I have to get rid of them if I want to stay motivated. :)

I have, unfortunately, had to return to the big ones after regain :( Determined not this time!
  • callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,626 Member
    thrift stores are your friend.

jeans (and undies/bras) are the only thing i consistently buy new. i only wear one or two brands of jeans lol
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    goodwills and such are you friend
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Thanks for all the ideas and commiseration so far! Like I said, I wish I was finding anything at the church thrift store but they seem to be heavy in plus sizes and 00's- not much in the way of 8's :/ . I'll have to try on some skirts/dresses now that its summer I guess and hope for the best as I have had terrible luck with Old Navy's staying power (I'm actually waiting on a refund from them right now for some Rockstars that fell apart in the wash haha).

On the positive side a friend of mine has some 31's for me to grab today, bless her- I need 29's but they're smaller than what I have now at least!
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    Thanks again to everyone who contributed above! I found out there was another thrift store here in town that is actually bigger and got a few things today (with all three of my kids with me it was a little too hairy to do any detailed looking you know? Found out I'm more of a 6 than an 8! Good things all around, glad I asked in here!

tk3kodk0a6dn.jpg
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,759 Member
    JessicaMcB wrote: »
    Let me preface my post by saying I am very grateful I've been able to lose weight well enough to this point that I have issues like this and I'm not trying to be whiney.

Since February 1 I've lost 45lbs and plan to lose 28lbs more. I've gone from a 16/18 to an 8 (6 in select fits). About a month ago I bought some size 12 jeans online because we live in a small town where haute couture is Walmart haha, they're now obviously falling off and it feels like $150 down the tubes. I tried a bunch of different places in another town over and I'm consistently in an 8 but struggle to find any jeans under $100 because I require a long inseam :( . My inseam requirements make it basically impossible to buy used in town as well.

How do you know when you're able to invest in clothes again? Does buying clothes stress you out because of the potential for it to be a waste? Is there any way to suss out what your body's potential "end size" would be? I'm so over being the mom with athletic leggings on...and they're getting too big too! Help!

You might try to sell the ones that are too big and use the money to buy new ones. Any other women with long inseams in your area, you might want to organize a clothes swap party?

I also love thrift & co-signment shops, I have the opposite problem, too short inseams equally as hard to come by, the ones at these shops usually have already been altered.

Did you check the Levi lines online, they are hard to beat for quality and sale pricing is good too.

I would think you could find good jeans for less than $100+, most I had to layout for a pair is $85, that was at a dept. store sale, I'm working towards getting back into those, they are a 6, I had regained some weight and it will be a while before those zip up again.

Good luck.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    I can't find a waist band small enough it is super frustrating! I didn't think I would stay this size long so when I decided to get clothes this size I basically found out they don't exist by the time I knew I'd be hanging out here long enough to buy clothes. So, unless I'm going out, it's leggings or yoga pants for me! I wear scrubs at work fortunately so I don't have to worry about a super well fitting expensive wardrobe. I have found Aeropostale carries the smallest junior size at 000, and they're usually on sale super cheap. They don't look too "teenagery" and for the price I wouldn't feel bad tossing them if I gain weight. They also come in long inseams!
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    I am lucky in the fact there are a couple Goodwill's near. I don't find a lot there, but I check in every week or two.