Deployed soldier

Options
Hi my names missy and I'm not too new to this app just to these forums. Ive been using this app since 2013. My weight has been up and down since then, but it seems that it's been more up ever since I joined the army. The food we have to eat wreaks havoc on my metabolism. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get my weight back in check id love to hear it. Thx

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    In what way do you think the food you're eating is affecting your metabolism?
  • MissyTheScientist
    MissyTheScientist Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    We work long hours and often don't have time to eat meals or easy MRED. In my case most of the food that's being cooked by the dfac is processed or out of a can.
    I try my best to always cougar the salad, the vegetables and fruit.
  • jnord8729
    jnord8729 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Actually, DFAC food is not bad. Yes they do have crap, just you have to pay attention. You also have to reject the assumption that processed food automatically means less healthy. It takes a while, but learning how to read labels, and estimate portion size and you can eat really healthy there (Just don't look at your sodium intake). I can say my last deployment I was in the best shape of my life. Of course it was a Kuwait deployment where there wasn't much to do but go running or go to the gym in between helping senior officers justify their existence.

Rambling aside, you absolutely can eat healthy in the DFAC. I did it ;)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    We work long hours and often don't have time to eat meals or easy MRED. In my case most of the food that's being cooked by the dfac is processed or out of a can.
    I try my best to always cougar the salad, the vegetables and fruit.

Not sure what that has to do with your metabolism?
  • 4BabiesStrong
    4BabiesStrong Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    jnord8729 wrote: »
    Actually, DFAC food is not bad. Yes they do have crap, just you have to pay attention. You also have to reject the assumption that processed food automatically means less healthy. It takes a while, but learning how to read labels, and estimate portion size and you can eat really healthy there (Just don't look at your sodium intake). I can say my last deployment I was in the best shape of my life. Of course it was a Kuwait deployment where there wasn't much to do but go running or go to the gym in between helping senior officers justify their existence.

Rambling aside, you absolutely can eat healthy in the DFAC. I did it ;)

Thanks, I am here in Kuwait and was thinking the same thing. To eat healthy you have to control the portions & what you eat. I have lost 15 since I've been here but it does take some will power as well. Good luck on your journey.
  • MarvinsFitLife
    MarvinsFitLife Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Are you working long hours sitting down? If that's you in the pic, you don't see overweight or obese. I know most army of not at all have gym, if you're not working hi the gym. The food you can't get around not eating so I suggest make every sweat count at the gym or wherever you workout
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,080 Member
    Options
    @4BabiesStrong awww I miss the super unhealthy DFAC in Camp Buehring, I was there for 4 months in 2009 alongside the British Army. mmmm Jalapeno Poppers! They did have some awesome salad bars though, much better than the Brit ones in Basrah! I lost 3 stone in a few months out in Iraq but that was mostly cos I was wearing body armour constantly and walking miles a day in the heat.