Opinions on weight loss with NO excercise?

Options
13»

Replies

• TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Villae81 wrote: »
    Want to lose weight without putting physical effort? that's just lazy -.-

This is her journey, not yours. Her goals may be very different than yours. Besides formal exercise is a fairly new 'thing' and 50 years ago was not pushed the way it is today. Our grandmothers era definitely did not go to the gym and wouldn't go for a run in the morning yet there were a lot of trim healthy people who are still around and healthy in their older years:)
  • csuhar
    csuhar Posts: 779 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Personally, I've never seen where losing weight by dieting without exercise was outright advised against. It is entirely possible to lose weight without adding an exercise regimen to your normal activity level.

Dedicated exercise simply helps by increasing the calorie deficit. This helps by either increasing the rate weight is lost or by letting you eat more while losing at the current rate.

For example, my sedentary TDEE is 2486 calories. If I wanted to lose a pound a week, my goal is 1986 calories. If I eat the same amount but move more, I lose weight faster. Alternatively, by having a dedicated exercise program, my TDEE jumps up to 3211, meaning that I can lose a pound a week while eating 2711 calories a day. As a result, I'm losing weight while usually looking to find MORE food to reach my goal instead of focusing on avoiding it.

So it is entirely possible to lose weight without adding exercise. And as long as you're not flirting with malnutrition or nutrient deficiencies, it's perfectly safe. Exercise simply gives you options with the added benefit of establishing a habit that can help improve overall health and well being beyond simple weight control.
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Weight Loss- with or without exercise is hardly an easy way out LOL
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Yes it can be done. But I have found that when I am not exercises, even though I get to a reasonable scale number goal, I am still very flabby. Exercise is important for FAT loss, not only weight loss. If I weight 140 pounds and have 30% body fat percent, I'm not going to be very happy, I want to be under 25% body fat percent.
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I did it recovering from a surgery that laid me up for quite a while. However, once I got back to goal weight I still had a gut...even though was at the exact weight I was before my injury. Now that I am far enough into recovery, I am working out again to get rid of the gut.

Moral of this story: Diet AND exercise will make you look better than diet alone.
  • ReaderGirl3
    ReaderGirl3 Posts: 868 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I did it recovering from a surgery that laid me up for quite a while. However, once I got back to goal weight I still had a gut...even though was at the exact weight I was before my injury. Now that I am far enough into recovery, I am working out again to get rid of the gut.

Moral of this story: Diet AND exercise will make you look better than diet alone.

I don't have a gut, even without exercise (my profile picture is recent). Looks are pretty subjective though-I'm actually pretty happy with how I look, especially considering that I'm almost 38 years old, have lost a lot of weight and I've also gone through 3 pregnancies.

We each need to figure out what works for us and then focus on that, keeping in mind that we're all different :)
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,898 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    This all makes me feel a bit more at ease thank you, i havent got the time (or energy after a long day at work) to do much extra than what im already doing. But Since I gave up the swimming I have been losing still and not really any slower thinking about it. I used to swim 1 mile 3 times per week, you would think that would help wouldnt you!

If you're not losing weight slower now that you're not swimming three miles per week, something is wrong with your logging, either of calories in or calories out.
    I think you misunderstood, i am still losing weight- average around 1-2lb per week, the same as I was when I was swimming. why is that a problem?

I think you missed my word slower. How many calories do you burn from swimming three miles?
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    Options

I don't have a gut, even without exercise (my profile picture is recent). Looks are pretty subjective though-I'm actually pretty happy with how I look, especially considering that I'm almost 38 years old, have lost a lot of weight and I've also gone through 3 pregnancies.

We each need to figure out what works for us and then focus on that, keeping in mind that we're all different :)

Nope - you don't have a gut - quite the opposite - you look very slim and trim. Congrats on that. You must be one of the lucky ones.

But I still stand by my earlier comment that diet and exercise will make you look better than just diet alone. But I will concede that there are always exceptions to any generalization.

I also agree that each person should find what works for them.

Cheers!
  • xjessicaxrx
    xjessicaxrx Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    This all makes me feel a bit more at ease thank you, i havent got the time (or energy after a long day at work) to do much extra than what im already doing. But Since I gave up the swimming I have been losing still and not really any slower thinking about it. I used to swim 1 mile 3 times per week, you would think that would help wouldnt you!

If you're not losing weight slower now that you're not swimming three miles per week, something is wrong with your logging, either of calories in or calories out.
    I think you misunderstood, i am still losing weight- average around 1-2lb per week, the same as I was when I was swimming. why is that a problem?

I think you missed my word slower. How many calories do you burn from swimming three miles?

No i did see that word? My Misfit speedo would say around 350cal per session, it used to to take me around 35 mins non stop. And i never ate back my calories.