should i have grilled sardines

Options
2»

Replies

• emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    i have grilled sardines not canned....i don't know about the serving, we order 2 and a half kg of sardines for 5 persons....so each one has 0.5 kilos of sardines...they are really small fish :)
    and it doesn't look like alot at all...i think
    i will post a picture about my sardines serving in 3 hours...stayed here :)

No matter how you look at it .5 kilo is more than a US pound and is quite a lot of protein in one meal. Of course if you grill them whole you might actually eat less because I assume you won't eat the head, tail and bones.
    I eat the sardines that come in the big oval can and I usually eat 3-4 oz.

Half a kilo of protein in one meal over the course of a day sounds like dinner. Do I have to break up my protein into bits or can I eat it all in one go?

Brace yourself; sardines are eaten whole. Double up on the calcium.
  • zazielascaux
    zazielascaux Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Maybe the sodium comes from the salt in the sea water. They are sea not fresh water fish.

I think you do not need to worry about the fat content, portion size or sodium content of fresh sardines one little bit.

The omega 3 fats in them are very good for you for brain function and protection against heart disease. Not all fats are bad. Your body needs fat. Some vitamins are only soluble in fat. Fat is not a total boogey man.

As for portion size, as long as you don't force yourself to eat them when you're not hungry, it's ok.

Just enjoy a very healthy, delicious, nutritious natural meal.
  • MaryJane_8810002
    MaryJane_8810002 Posts: 2,082 Member
    Options
    Eww sardines!
  • umieto
    umieto Posts: 46
    Options
    Sardines provide a lot of omega-3. This is important because omega-3 is not synthesised by the body and therefore we have to eat it to get it into our systems (hence being called an essential fatty acid). Fats aren't scary, they are delicious and essential for life.

Also grilled sardines are ridiculously tasty. I'm jealous now haha
  • Serg_Ironman_Vargas
    Options
    Put some hot sauce on them.
  • Rocbola
    Rocbola Posts: 1,998 Member
    Options
    No. Too much fat and sodium, not enough fiber and micro-nutrients. Anything in a can is usually packed in oil. Eww.
    You can get them in olive oil, which IS good for you! :smile:
    NO oil is good for you, it's just that some are less harmful than others.

Oil is one part of a plant, that has been removed from all other parts of the plant. Just like sugar. It is refined fat. Fat in it's purest form. Oil is the most calorie dense food on the planet, no matter what plant it gets processed from.
  • emergencytennis
    emergencytennis Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    NO oil is good for you, it's just that some are less harmful than others.

Oil is one part of a plant, that has been removed from all other parts of the plant. Just like sugar. It is refined fat. Fat in it's purest form. Oil is the most calorie dense food on the planet, no matter what plant it gets processed from.

Could you please quote the authority you are referencing? I think you could be equating "calorie-dense" with "unhealthy".

Calories are healthy. They are healthy like oxygen is healthy.