30+lbs in 5 months?

Options
I'm 4'10 and 158lbs, and would like to be 126lbs by September. Is this possible? I don't like to eat below 1200, as I know it's not healthy, but because I'm so short, it means that my BMR is lower, and weight loss is slower. Any advise?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    My advice is to eat at a moderate deficit, which for you very well may mean a deficit that is going to net you less than a pound a week of fat loss. Don't put a timeline on your weight loss. They freak people out when they realize that they aren't going to meet them and they're really arbitrary. I mean, if you get to the end of August and are 145 pounds are you going to say "screw it" and put the weight back on? I would certainly hope not :)
  • FatMomRun
    FatMomRun Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Dec 7th was my start date for my weight loss, I weighted 178lbs, as of this morning the scale read 132lbs, a total of 46lbs gone in 4 months and 27 days, so yes it is possible. I took control of my eating habits, stopped drinking pretty much anything but water, reduced my refined sugars and processed foods greatly and started to train for a 10K (I did not exercise at all prior).

When I first started I set my goal weight at 140lbs, I have reached and surpassed that and set a new goal of 125lbs, but I am starting to teeter totter on that. When I started I was wearing a size 15/16 pants and extra large shirts, I now wear a size 4/5 pants and a small/medium shirt. I'm not sure I would like how my body would look if I dropped an additional 7lbs.

I do have a doctor's appointment tomorrow and I'm sure my wieght loss and my goals will be a main topic. I'm currently training for a 10k (No walking) in June, then after that a 1/2 marathon, those will need to be considered as I need to fuel my body.
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You are small and your goal is a light weight. You cannot lose weight at the same absolute rate as someone who is 6' and weighs +200lb. There are plenty of other people who lost weight at that absolute rate (myself included), but that doesn't mean it is healthy for you.

With that said, if your diet and nutrition is spot on, then I'd say yes, you can hit your goal weight in September, but I wouldn't count on it. You'd have to lose 1% of your bodyweight every week for 22 weeks straight. From personal experience you probably won't want to do that for more than ~2 months, at which point hopefully you won't quit, but instead you'll take a tiny break, and then get back on the plan probably at a less aggressive rate. Even then, 1% may not be practical for you since your TDEE is going to be lower than most people's and you have to make sure you are getting sufficient nutrients which will be harder compared to someone who is larger and has more calories to play with.

So, due to diet breaks, life events (birthdays, holidays, vacations, etc...), just not wanting to sustain a large deficit and so forth, for such a long time, it isn't practical and I wouldn't aim for it myself. Maybe start with an aggressive 1%/week now, and then taper it off over time and allow yourself special days (not weekend cheat days, but maybe a day at maintenance for a birthday party or whatever) or even a diet break along the way.