Stress and weight loss?

Options
Hey guys,

I just recently started a new job as a manager and it's very stressful (plus I have a three year old). I eat right (the best I can), exercise and try to get enough sleep, but the stress is overwhelming and I think it may be affecting my ability to lose weight. I feel as though it takes over my life sometimes and in turn I take it out on others. What are some tips/advice on managing/getting rid of stress??

Thanks!!! :)

Replies

• bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Wow, you have a lot on your plate! My main stress relief is exercise, which you're already doing, and doing the crossword puzzle first thing in the morning (it's a distraction). But when things get really crazy at work, I let my standards slip elsewhere. Didn't make the bed? Oh well, no one else sees the bedroom except my wife, and she works at the same place and is probably equally stressed. No time to cook? Sandwiches for dinner! We don't have kids, but our friends with a 3-year-old give him a little more screen time than ideal when they are feeling overwhelmed and need a break.

Some people find that progressive muscle relaxation helps a lot in relieving the physical tension that often accompanies stress and makes it worse. I used to do that because my violin teacher told me I was carrying a lot of unnecessary tension in my body, and it helped a lot.

Good luck!
  • smanto00
    smanto00 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the only time I'm available to go to the gym during my work days is 4am which means I need to be in bed by 9pm or I never get enough sleep. Which is hard when you have a little one that hates bed time. I do find that when I exercise I feel a lot better, but sometimes my body won't let me get up at 4am. I get stress knots in my back as well. I might try the progressive muscle relaxation. I need to do something because I'm about to go nuts!
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I definitely find it harder to lose weight when I'm stressed. Keep in mind, when you're already stressing your body strenuous exercise can actually make the issue worse. In times of stress I knock back high intensity exercise in favor of lower intensity things like yoga and walking to help reduce stress while still getting some exercise in.
  • smanto00
    smanto00 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Kimo159 wrote: »
    I definitely find it harder to lose weight when I'm stressed. Keep in mind, when you're already stressing your body strenuous exercise can actually make the issue worse. In times of stress I knock back high intensity exercise in favor of lower intensity things like yoga and walking to help reduce stress while still getting some exercise in.

That's a great idea :)
    There's a yoga class in the mornings at my gym that I've been wanting to try. Maybe now is the time to start!