Calorie Reduction as you lose weight - suggested by the MFP app.

Options
fnub
fnub Posts: 34 Member
Since the start of my weight loss journey, I've noticed that MFP suggests you reduce calories as you lose weight. After I lost the first 80lb's, started a plateau that would last 320+ days. I started at 312lb's and the goal is to lose 150. I am still currently morbidly obese.

My Dr recently told me that my blood work results were better than his. I told him about MFP's recommendation to reduce my calories to 1600. He freaked. Two weeks prior to seeing my Dr, I upped my calories to 1920. He said that was good but thought I should be consuming 2200, 2300 / Day. I've been at 1920 calories for a while now. I can finally say I'm starting to lose weight again. I'll be upping the calories is 22/2300 just as soon as I star to build more muscle.

So for those who are plateauing - be careful when considering a caloric reduction. Calorie reduction cost me at least 320 days of going through all kinds of mental stress from the weekly failure to lose weight. The stress from underachieving caused cortisol production. Added curcumin to my diet to aid with, well, a lot of things. ( https://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-turmeric/ ) Problem solved.

Bottom line. Say no to calorie reduction. As time goes on, you're becoming more and more active. This requires more energy to execute; meaning more food + more movement in combination with proper rest. How could you not lose weight? That's what I'm doing and it's working. After almost a year of not losing, I'm back losing weight = WINNING! :-)

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    fnub wrote: »
    Since the start of my weight loss journey, I've noticed that MFP suggests you reduce calories as you lose weight. After I lost the first 80lb's, started a plateau that would last 320+ days. I started at 312lb's and the goal is to lose 150. I am still currently morbidly obese.

My Dr recently told me that my blood work results were better than his. I told him about MFP's recommendation to reduce my calories to 1600. He freaked. Two weeks prior to seeing my Dr, I upped my calories to 1920. He said that was good but thought I should be consuming 2200, 2300 / Day. I've been at 1920 calories for a while now. I can finally say I'm starting to lose weight again. I'll be upping the calories is 22/2300 just as soon as I star to build more muscle.

So for those who are plateauing - be careful when considering a caloric reduction. Calorie reduction cost me at least 320 days of going through all kinds of mental stress from the weekly failure to lose weight. The stress from underachieving caused cortisol production. Added curcumin to my diet to aid with, well, a lot of things. ( https://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-turmeric/ ) Problem solved.

Bottom line. Say no to calorie reduction. As time goes on, you're becoming more and more active. This requires more energy to execute; meaning more food + more movement in combination with proper rest. How could you not lose weight? That's what I'm doing and it's working. After almost a year of not losing, I'm back losing weight = WINNING! :-)

Do you exercise? Do you eat the exercise calories back?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options

Anyway, 1600 sounds incredibly low for a man who is still morbidly obese. I'd ask the same question as Hornsby about exercise and also think about activity level.

That said, I don't believe that anyone loses more weight by eating more. What I do think is that many people end up not sticking to their goal (whether through uncounted/binge days, unlogged food, all sorts of things) when too low and end up consuming more calories than when they have a more reasonable goal. I also think that you may end up moving less when the goal is too low.

Estimating TDEE is often a good approach.
  • moe0303
    moe0303 Posts: 934 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    ^ What both of those folks said.

Also everybody is different. 1600 might be fine for someone who is not exercising much. Also if you're moving more, you might have to change your activity level in mfp.