Squats

Options
I am a 38 year old, 310 pound, male, beginner to fitness. I want to start a daily squat challenge. How many should I start off with? And how many / how often should I add?

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't do it. Daily challenges like that can easily lead to overuse injuries with overweight beginners. Strength training is still a good idea, just not on consecutive days. I'd follow a structured strength program, like Nerd Fitness, New Rules of Lifting for Life, etc. If you need a daily "challenge", how about walking? :+1:
  • ShrinkingSloth
    ShrinkingSloth Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I need to do squats! I'm only 38, and I struggle standing up.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options

That's because you need to loose weight. If I were you, I would start with leg press. Then work your way up to squats.
  • ShrinkingSloth
    ShrinkingSloth Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks @Cherimoose
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Don't focus on squats, look at the Nerdfitness bodyweight programme and work your way up to being able to complete it.
    Don't worry that everything is a challenge, start doing parts, push-ups against a wall, planks for 5 secs, and slowly work up to the programme.
    A squat challenge is great, once you are physically capable. Take it slow to start.

Cheers, h.

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I always feel like we should learn from babies. They first crawl then walk then squat. I know strength training is important, but if you haven't really used your body in the past few years, then why not simply start with walking first. Then do as the others suggest. Strength, flexibility, mobility, etc are all important parts of our health. I was inactive for years before I decided to lose weight.I was your weight at 5'6, I started with walking , weight machines, and stretching. I Still have much to lose though. Good luck and just don't dive straight in... Stick your big toe in first. Learn how to spell cat before you can spell some six syllable word. My opinion. Happy losing.
  • RachNRoll
    RachNRoll Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    cgvet37 wrote: »

That's because you need to loose weight. If I were you, I would start with leg press. Then work your way up to squats.

This, or skip the leg press and start 5x5 program with progressive overload on the weight. You'll gain strenght and improve your condition. Just make sure the form is correct!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options

i'm a big fan of using the TRX for learning squats especially if you are overweight. You can use them for assistance when body weight is too much, so you can get your form correct while building the strength needed and losing weight. look up trx squats.
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Squats are a great way to build up your legs, but require the right movements, and form to complete correctly. I would not jump into a squat with weight on my back if you've never done them before. Perfect your form first. Start with a dumbbell that you hold in your hands between your legs, and start squatting that way. Get your form down, then move on to an empty bar. If your just starting to get into fitness, I would also recommend checking out Mind Pump. They are a fitness podcast on iTunes. They have a lot of great material that they discuss, along with great programs that you can get into once you get your feet wet. Best of luck!
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »

i'm a big fan of using the TRX for learning squats especially if you are overweight. You can use them for assistance when body weight is too much, so you can get your form correct while building the strength needed and losing weight. look up trx squats.
    This.

And box squats are a good way to get started.
  • SugarBabyGirl
    SugarBabyGirl Posts: 7,026 Member
    Options
    OP, I disagree about the leg press, first of all. If you're new to fitness then you may not know how to keep from hurting your back on a leg press. But we're talking the squat challenge here, so, body weight squats. I agree about using the TRX, but if you don't have access to one, get on Google and see how to do a squat or get someone to show you. Go easy do a few and take a day off... it's all got to start somewhere! :) Best of luck!
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    if you dont have access to a trx you can just throw a rope over a tree branch , or around a fence post or something.