Mexican restaurants

Just needing a few suggestions on what to order at a Mexican restaurant that would be low in calories? Thanks!

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,219 Member
    It sort of depends on the place. Sometimes you can order ala carte and sometimes you can't. If it's a chain restaurant there's usually somewhere online with calorie counts.

A good choice is generally grilled chicken and vegetables. Sometimes they serve exactly that, but fajitas are nearly the same thing with the addition of tortillas. Only use one tortilla because they can add to calorie count quickly without feeling satisfying. Avoid cheese, guacamole, creams, and sauces because that adds extra calories. Avoid items that are sauteed because that means cooked in oil/fat. Salsa has very little calories, but adds flavor.
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Avoid re-fried beans.
    A place I heard of mixes them with LARD to make them taste good.
    * Restaurants do not give a **** about your health.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Water.
  • Tydeclare44
    Tydeclare44 Posts: 572 Member
    Avoid re-fried beans.

Don't be afraid of fats! Eating fat does not make you fat.

But I do agree that restaurants do not give 2 ****s about your health

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,764 Member
    I get steak fajitas, skip the beans, rice and tortillas but keep the cheese, sour cream and guacamole.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I avoid them because I can make tasty things at home for less calories. But if I go, I like the salads, I just ask for salsa for dressing.
  • Meranda29
    Meranda29 Posts: 27 Member
    I treat Mexican restaurants as a treat. I cut out calories earlier in the day/week to make room for what I really want to eat (Pork Chili Verde) with corn tortillas - no cheese - no sour cream - but add guac/lettuce/pico! Add a bud light lime and you're good to go!
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Also, skip the free chips and salsa. That can easily be 100s of calories.

Alternately, get nothing but free chips and salsa. And water. Tip well.
  • Losewtforlife4him
    Losewtforlife4him Posts: 423 Member
    Also, skip the free chips and salsa. That can easily be 100s of calories.

Alternately, get nothing but free chips and salsa. And water. Tip well.

This. Since my hubby and I have done away with tortilla chips at restaurants and in our home(!), we have both lost a combined weight of 66 lbs! We both agree that not even having these things in the house has helped us greatly. Too much of a temptation and it's hard to stop with just a few!

• MaGrl523
    MaGrl523 Posts: 101 Member
    lucys1225 wrote: »
    Avoid re-fried beans.

That's how they are traditionally made...

I usually get some sort of fajita without tortillas, rice, beans or any cheese,sauce or cream, a side of roasted vegetables and mix it all together with salsa.

So basically get grilled chicken with peppers and onions. :| Live a little and cut back on your other meals for the day. I do agree with cutting out the tortilla but get the guac and cheese.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Avoid re-fried beans.

but lard is delicious. it's not bad for you. just gotta be careful with calories.

I typically go with fajitas and skip the tortillas- or get the fajita in the taco bowl and don't eat the bowl.
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    I am going to one tomorrow. I plan on getting a taco salad with no beans, sour cream or guac. Not eating shell. Maybe a few chips and salsa before hand.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,396 Member
    I like to get carne asada. Depends on how your place makes it though.
  • Amazon_Who
    Amazon_Who Posts: 1,092 Member
    If you want beans the charro beans are better. They are soupy and no lard.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    JoRocka wrote: »
    Avoid re-fried beans.

but lard is delicious. it's not bad for you. just gotta be careful with calories.

I typically go with fajitas and skip the tortillas- or get the fajita in the taco bowl and don't eat the bowl.

Those bowls, man. Some of them are not great, but the nice fried ones... gosh. Probably 300 calories just for the bowl but so tasty!
    nosajjao wrote: »
    Sometimes you can have your cake, but not eat it. Try making something Mexican at home, you won't find any health options at a Mexican restaurant.

Seriously... that's why I don't go to Mexican restaurants anymore. I can make that Americanized version of Mexican food at home easily (especially if I'm going to end up eating fajitas or a salad anyway), and I have complete control of the calories.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    edited May 2016
    I avoid the free chips and salsa and any thing fried. Other than that everything is fair game. A lot of times I'll order tacos a la carte. Most mexican places allow this. Then I can customize them and get what I want.

Oh, and if you do get a cake...don't call it bizcocho. That is what Puerto Ricans call cake...but for mexicans it means a ladies private parts. I've made that mistake...not cool.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Avoid re-fried beans.

A lot of Mexican food is made with lard. That's the traditional way to make flour tortillas and biscochitos, as well as beans and many many more dishes.

I agree with the suggestion to get fajitas. You can skip the tortillas since those tend to be fairly high calorie, as is the guacamole, cheese, and sour cream if those come on the side.

If you want to eat tortilla chips, salsa will be much lower calorie than guacamole or queso. Also, skip the margaritas :'(

Of course now I want fajitas and margaritas....
  • jaga13
    jaga13 Posts: 1,149 Member
    I get a steak fajita without the tortillaS or condiments because I'd rather save some Calories for a beer or sangria with my meal and because it's not really my favorite food any way.
    But if you have a favorite, you could always eat half (like a meal that is about 1000-1600 calories could be split for sure)

If it's a chain restaurant you can look up the calories online ahead of time to
    Decide. If it's not a chain, use a chain site (like chillis). It won't be exactly precise but similar enough to estimate the calories.