Almond milk

Options

Replies

• enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I drink true dairy...I love almond and cashew milk, taste-wise, but I just found out I'm mildly allergic to both almonds and cashews. Now I know why my intestines were so mad every time I drank it. 2% for me.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I like the taste. Love it on cereal. Less calories. Lots of calcium (fortified, not natural). Longer shelf life.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I LOVE unsweetened cashew milk.

It lowers the calories in my coffee to only 10. It tastes great in a glass with cookies. The transition was easy because I was drinking 1% milk anyway, and very little of it at that. Non dairy milk lasts so much longer too, so I'm never tossing any out.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I don't enjoy cows milk. I only like it in my cereal but I discovered almond milk tastes better for fewer calories so I switched.
  • _roby_p
    _roby_p Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    here's a thought, how are we the only species on earth to drink the milk of another species along with being the only one's who drink it after infancy? Dairy isn't what you think it is, and research proves it.

Store bought almond milk is also quite the farce however, should you have the time to make your own nut milks you'll definitely see a difference in taste and 'performance' for those training.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2016
    Options
    _roby_p wrote: »
    here's a thought, how are we the only species on earth to drink the milk of another species along with being the only one's who drink it after infancy? Dairy isn't what you think it is, and research proves it.

Store bought almond milk is also quite the farce however, should you have the time to make your own nut milks you'll definitely see a difference in taste and 'performance' for those training.

Simply put, we are the most advanced and most intelligent. Research has not proven otherwise.. feel free to post actual research if you want.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options

We're the only species on Earth that does a lot of things.

We're the only species that, no matter your thoughts on it, has a justice system. We're the only species that can communicate with another member thousands of miles away thanks to technology.
  • AmandaDanceMore
    AmandaDanceMore Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I don't drink a ton of milk of any variety, unless I have a craving for chocolate milk (then it is chocolate almond milk). I don't drink cow's milk mostly because I am sensitive to a lot of dairy products and also, to a lesser extent, I ethically try not to support the dairy industry as much as possible (I can eat cheese, which I love way more than I should, but I do limit my intake and hope to one day kick the habit).

I typically use plain almond milk in recipes calling for milk as it keeps longer. I also have a vegan brother, so when I bake for family gatherings, I prefer to bake things we can all enjoy.

I didn't like cow's milk all that much even when I was still drinking it....it was mostly just something to dip my Oreos in. I like the taste of almond milk, and it's nice to have an alternative that agrees with me on the rare occasion I eat cold cereal or want some chocolate milk. When I drink coffee, it is either black or with soy or almond milk (prefer soy lattes to almond milk lattes, for some reason).
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    here's a thought, how are we the only species on earth to drink the milk of another species along with being the only one's who drink it after infancy?

We can. We thought of it and have hands. As a result, many of us have lactase persistence, which is a cool trait. Other animals will, in fact, drink the milk of other species as adults too, given the opportunity.
    Dairy isn't what you think it is, and research proves it.

How could you possible know what I think dairy is?
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I use almond milk because I have sinus issues which react badly to dairy for some reason, I guess it sticks to the mucus (yuck). Protein I get from eggs, fish, lentils and pulses to name a few.
  • JShailen
    JShailen Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I agree that the lack of protein in almond milk is depressing :/ Its why I use soya milk. I always have trouble meeting my protein macro so every little bit helps.

I still use almond milk occasionally because it's yummy, especially in porridge.
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I don't get it either - it doesn't taste good, not much difference in cals to skim milk, and costs 3-4 times as much. Not for me.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options

Here's a thought...how are we the only species on earth to drive cars? TO BUILD cars? To go to the moon?

Oy vey.

And dude, there are PLENTY of instances where mothers of one species have adopted and nursed animals of a different species. Puleeez.
  • Miles_to_Go
    Miles_to_Go Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use it in my smoothies because of the lower calories compared to milk. I also drink it straight in small amounts, I rather like the flavor. I do not like it with cereal for some reason - seems to glutinous.

I also just recently realized the protein content was low and decided to try vanilla light soy milk to increase protein content. It works well in a smoothy, I haven't tried it alone yet. I may end up switching to soy milk for my smoothies.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    ericatoday wrote: »
    I drink almond milk because milk is terrible for you. Your body isnt meant to drink it. Cows milk is not easily digested by humans. Almond milk is easier digested and contains less carbs and sugars. If youre looking for good protein then id buy a protein powder. I am in no way vegan or vegetarian but i buy the vega protein + greens protein powder. It has 2 servings of greens in every serving of powder and is all plant based protein.

Millions of people have been drinking milk from animals for years. It's fine.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    here's a thought, how are we the only species on earth to drink the milk of another species along with being the only one's who drink it after infancy?

We can. We thought of it and have hands. As a result, many of us have lactase persistence, which is a cool trait. Other animals will, in fact, drink the milk of other species as adults too, given the opportunity.

How about cats drinking cow's milk?
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I like the taste of it. Lower calories.
    I would rather get my protein from something I can chew, higher satisfaction.
    30 calories per cup for unsweetened almond milk vs 90 calories for 1 cup skim milk
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    kmbrooks15 wrote: »

How about cats drinking cow's milk?

It's typically not good for them, as adult cats are lactose intolerant, but they certainly want to drink it.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It's typically not good for them, as adult cats are lactose intolerant, but they certainly want to drink it.

That totally depends on the cat. Farm cats generally never become lactose intolerant, because milk is a regular part of their diet. Every cat I have ever had, has had milk daily. And not a one of them had any lactose intolerance.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

That totally depends on the cat. Farm cats generally never become lactose intolerant, because milk is a regular part of their diet. Every cat I have ever had, has had milk daily. And not a one of them had any lactose intolerance.

My cat vomits every time she has milk, but she can eat bucket loads of cream and cheese and be fine.