When can you start running every day?

Options
I am a beginner runner. I've only been running a couple months, I'm doing c25k week 5, and I can comfortably run about a mile before I need a walk break. Right now I'm doing some running every other day. I am getting quite addicted to running, and I could love to be able to run every day, but I know I shouldn't push myself too much or else I could risk injury. My question to you is, at what level does it become feasible to run every day? That will give me something to work towards...

Replies

• drwilseyjr
    drwilseyjr Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Whenever you feel comfortable doing so.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Yesterday.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    Complete the program. Then keep running a few times per week, then keep adding more days or longer runs SLOWLY. It does not matter if you can do it or not, your body needs to get used to it. An injury from trying too run too much too soon will set you back for weeks.
  • jayfo1994
    jayfo1994 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Great question! I wondered that myself. I'm on W7D1 and I long to be one of those "runners" that can do this the 5-6x a week.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    In general it's not a great idea to run every day, at least for your first year or so. String together three or four days and then take a rest day, and see how you feel/what's aching, etc. Running every single day is verrrrrry tricky and likely to cause stress fractures if you aren't prepared.

IF you do choose to run daily, look into what people on running streaks do. Generally they have easy days where they run 1-2 miles just to maintain their streak, and then run higher volumes on other days.

Personally, even at the height of half marathon training I couldn't push past 5 days per week. Typically I would do an easy 5 miler, 4 miles where the middle two miles were broken out into speed intervals, an 8 miler, a rest day, 6 miles, and then an easy 10-12 mile long run, then a rest day before I did it all over again.

EDIT: If you want something to work towards, pick distance and/or speed goals...decide you want to run a whole 5K without stopping, or you want to run a mile in under a set speed, etc.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I'm doing c25k week 5, and I can comfortably run about a mile before I need a walk break.

There are several variants of the C25K plan, but the most common implementation of the original would have you running by time, rather than distance. The distance variant would have you running two miles on day three, building on the preceding sessions, none of which would have you running for a mile. If you're having to break at the one mile point to walk, then you're running too fast and should ease back the pace.
    Right now I'm doing some running every other day. I am getting quite addicted to running, and I could love to be able to run every day, but I know I shouldn't push myself too much or else I could risk injury. My question to you is, at what level does it become feasible to run every day? That will give me something to work towards...

The question I'd ask is what you'd hope to gain by running every day? Some people do it, but it can take 2-3 years to develop the endurance to be able to sustain that without injury. I'd also add that cross training has significant benefit, so veering towards doing other things on some days; resistance training, rowing, cycling etc.

I'd suggest once you finish the C25K plan you cast about for an objective. I'd also highlight that none of teh training plans I've followed would have me running every day. At the moment, in a marathon cycle, I'm only on four days per week.

• RespectTheKitty
    RespectTheKitty Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options

The question I'd ask is what you'd hope to gain by running every day? Some people do it, but it can take 2-3 years to develop the endurance to be able to sustain that without injury. I'd also add that cross training has significant benefit, so veering towards doing other things on some days; resistance training, rowing, cycling etc.

I'd suggest once you finish the C25K plan you cast about for an objective. I'd also highlight that none of teh training plans I've followed would have me running every day. At the moment, in a marathon cycle, I'm only on four days per week.

That's really good to know. Right now on my non-running days I do the elliptical and strength training. The reason I want to be able to run every day is because out of all the types of exercise I do, running is what gives me the most boost to my mood (I have depression-dominant bipolar), and I'd like it to be a daily part of my treatment program. That, and I just really really really like running.

I suppose if I make it a daily thing, I might burn out on running, and I don't want that to happen. I want it to be something I do for the long haul. But that won't stop me from wanting to run on the days I don't run. :smile:

• litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I think the answer is 'when it's easy' in two senses:
    1) when you find running so easy that it wouldn't occur to you to need a walk break, and
    2) if you are only running easy and not trying to work on speed.

I used to run every day (after a couple of years of first running three times a week, then running every other day; it was a natural progression for me because I had too much energy and like to be outside). But this was when I was NOT interested in racing or improving speed, though I did gradually get a little faster as I got fitter. I did ALL of my running at a comfortable aerobic pace where I could have chatted to someone. As Meandering Mammal says, when I eventually decided to do races and train for speed, I cut back to take rest days because I needed them with the structured training.

Now that I'm a LOT more experienced and running high mileage, I don't need rest days every week any more. But this is years down the line. And I still do a lot of EASY running.
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Its never feasible to run every day. Cross train on non running days with activity that enhances running but doesn't replicate (cycling, swimming, rowing). and at minimum you should have 1 rest day for recovery.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i know many runners, and very very few run every day. most that i know only run 4-5 days a week max.

if you are still at the point that you need a walk break, you are from from the "run every day" stage.