Need a yogi to help me with a new mat! TIA <3

285to170
285to170 Posts: 330 Member
Title says it all. I'm in desperate need of a new yoga mat. Any recommendations?

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    edited May 2016
    I haven't found any difference in brands. A hard-core Ashtangi might have a different experience. Otherwise, I'd just pick up a mat at Walmart.

I have regular thickness mats from Tapas Mat and Yoga Aeromat but the one I use is an extra thick mat from Aerex.
  • MsAmandaNJ
    MsAmandaNJ Posts: 1,248 Member
    I absolutely ADORE my Gaiam Sol mat. It's dense and is sticky on one side, my hands and feet don't slip anymore. It's pricey, wouldn'tve spent the $80 myself, got it as a gift.
  • 285to170
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I haven't found any difference in brands. A hard-core Ashtangi might have a different experience. Otherwise, I'd just pick up a mat at Walmart.

I have regular thickness mats from Tapas Mat and Yoga Aeromat but the one I use is an extra thick mat from Aerex.

How do you like the regular thickness vs the extra thick? I heard that the thicker ones are harder to balance on. Is that true? & thank you :)
  • 285to170
    MsAmandaNJ wrote: »
    I absolutely ADORE my Gaiam Sol mat. It's dense and is sticky on one side, my hands and feet don't slip anymore. It's pricey, wouldn'tve spent the $80 myself, got it as a gift.

Ty! I need something that helps with my slip. I have super sweaty slippery feet. I know gross tmi lol thanks again!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,052 Member
    285to170 wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

How do you like the regular thickness vs the extra thick? I heard that the thicker ones are harder to balance on. Is that true? & thank you :)

I don't have an issue balancing on it, but then I have big wide feet and good balance in general.
  • tatilove1988
    tatilove1988 Posts: 330 Member
    I actually picked one up at my local winners last year. It's a bit thicker than the average yoga mat, but still quite light and easy to carry. I don't have problems balancing on it and it feels better for the knees. I guess you just have to make sure whichever one you buy is light enough to carry around when going to class, especially if you have a gym bag on one shoulder.

Good luck!
  • 285to170
    I actually picked one up at my local winners last year. It's a bit thicker than the average yoga mat, but still quite light and easy to carry. I don't have problems balancing on it and it feels better for the knees. I guess you just have to make sure whichever one you buy is light enough to carry around when going to class, especially if you have a gym bag on one shoulder.

Good luck!

I scoped out winners. My local one has nada. High five to my fellow Canadian though! :)
  • ncboiler89
    ncboiler89 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Title says it all. I'm in desperate need of a new yoga mat. Any recommendations?

Fly signs on an interstate ramp or try a kickstarter.
  • tatilove1988
    tatilove1988 Posts: 330 Member

Good luck!

I scoped out winners. My local one has nada. High five to my fellow Canadian though! :)

Whooohooo Montrealer here. You?

It's a bit odd though because all winners I've been to here have a wide selection of yoga and pilates mat. Good luck on your search for the perfect mat.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,788 Member
    I think you should avoid thick and soft. Thick is ok, as long as it doesn't give. My favorite are mandukas, but the cheap ones work well.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Manduka
  • Arathels
    Arathels Posts: 6,883 Member
    I just picked up the cheapest mat I saw and it worked fine until I got a puppy who loved to chew on it ;)
    I need a new one for Hot Yoga though and I'm looking at this one now.