lost weight but not on belly

Options
HELP !!! I feel like im fighting and losing battle, when I started my weight lose journey 1 year ago I weighted in at 11stone 11lbs ( 165lbs) I'm now 3 stone lighter weighting in at 8 stone 11lb (123lbs) I exercised throughout most of my weight lost journey but stopped about 3/4 months ago (due to work and money problems), just started exercising again now at home... The help I need is I can't seem to get rid of my belly, its still on the big side, I cant put a bikini on or look at myself without clothes on.it has shrunk a little but not much, my legs are really thin and i'm happy with everywhere else its just my belly, I do ab work outs and I have just started Jillian Michaels: 6 Week Six-Pack Abs Workout- Level 1 on you tube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ8Zdj0OPMI I would appreciate any advice or tips. please help women in desperate need. Thanks xx oh yeah don't be fooled by my picture you cant see it with clothes on :) xx

Replies

• Cyclingbonnie
    Cyclingbonnie Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    Spot reduction isn't really possible. To loose fat, you eat right and exercise. At 123 pounds, I doubt there is a lot of fat and it is time to consider that it is you physical make up. With that said if the muscles are not developed you could be a little saggy, so a good ab workout could tone up those muscles. Most muscles benefit from a day off, but there are so many little bundles of muscles in your abs you can work them out every day. Good news, no special equipment is necessary. Crunches and leg lifts do wonders although they can be a little boring. There are many, many exercise routines to be found out there on the internet, youtube is loaded with them. Remember we have organs in our abdomen and it can only get so small. Good luck with achieving your goals, and congratulations on reaching your goal weight.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    Bonnie nailed it. Our bodies lose weight where they want to - we don't have much of a choice. Overall fat reduction will bring all the trouble areas down. Be patient. It will happen.
  • mrsobcripps
    mrsobcripps Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ok thanks for your advice and tips. I hope I can tone up its really getting to me its like all my hard work for nothing i've always had a problem with my belly its like I have 4 boobs (if you get me ) that's what bothers me the most, thank you very much really appreciate it xx
  • janinealfke
    Options
    I hear you. I've lost a lot of weight and what is left is all sitting from my hips to my mid thighs. It's maddening. I am going to the pool and doing 90 min of aquacise every day and then I do 20 min more at home later on my bicycle.....it's working, but it's a process! You're doing all the right things. I hear Jillian Michael's workouts are good...you can't go wrong there. Also, you can lay on the floor or your bed, and put your legs together, and lift them 6-10inches off the floor or the bed....and hold it for a couple of seconds...then go down, and back up ....hold it ......that makes you tighten those tummy muscles....Lord knows I need help there too!!! Good luck, and feel free to friend me if you like. Keep on working girl, you'll get there!!!

Janine Alfke
  • MzHornedOne
    MzHornedOne Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more clean if you want to see more of a drop in your body fat percentage. It's all a matter of what you put in your mouth and of course cardio and weight training. But mostly what you consume.

Eating clean is super hard but well worth the effort if you can achieve it.

Not saying you for sure what abs but getting a flat stomach/abs is 80% diet and 20% working out.
  • tarynchatfield
    tarynchatfield Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Abs are made in the kitchen! I noticed my stomach flattened out the most with plenty of water, protein, and vegetables while keeping my sugar at or below the recommended levels.
  • Labouffecestbon
    Labouffecestbon Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    This is my concern too: losing weight yet keeping the belly. Ugh. Hope it all goes away together. Good luck to ya!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    I've just accepted that I'll always have a big gut. Wishing OP best wishes on getting rid of theirs.
  • Zaniejane
    Zaniejane Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Since having children, this is where I usually lose fat last. I have found that concentrating on building muscle elsewhere and continuing to eat in a way that works for me keeps it away.
  • ladyark
    ladyark Posts: 1,101 Member
    Options
    It seems like this is the last place that goes away. For myself i think i will always have something there just from being so heavy ( extra skin maybe) But, eating cleaner with less sugar and junk will usually make a big difference too.

As someone else said...you can work your abs every day. That wont make them flatter until the fat is gone that is covering them but, when it is, you will have a nice strong core.

I bet you could wear a bikini too....i do and i still look a few months pregnant lol

Good luck!
  • sweetchildomine
    sweetchildomine Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I wish I knew the answer because I have the same problem. I dont understand why I can't be one of those people that gets to their goal weight and has a perfectly flat belly. I reached my goal weight (128) recently and I still can't wear a bikini. I don't really want to lose much more weight because I'm happy with the rest of my body and don't want to look too thin but this belly has got to go!! I'm going to attempt to clean up my diet even more and see what happens. Good luck.
  • mrsobcripps
    mrsobcripps Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all your advise, I eat fairly healthy but do go over my sugars a lot mainly from fruit or sweets this habit is hard for me to kick, I don't know what weight my body wants me to be before im happy with it I think being in the 8 stone mark is low but ovs not. I am only 5ft 2 so im on the short side does this make it harder? im goin to give it a good go with these work outs and TRY cut out all sweets. Good luck with all your journeys and thanks xx
  • janemontgomery71
    Options
    Been there, done that. I think everyone goes through this, and it depends somewhat on how old you are. The older you are, the more your internal organs get layers of fat. Therefore, it seems you may not be loosing your belly fat, but pay attention to how your clothes fit. If they fit better, you are losing weight...everywhere.
  • Brad805
    Brad805 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    That is the last place where it goes for many. The reason is partly due to the different receptors in those regions couple with less blood flow in the area. A more detailed explanation can be found below.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/why-is-stubborn-fat-stubborn.html

Motivating the fat cells to release the energy stores is going to take a change in the diet and/or more cardio activity. Starch and sugars are not part a big part of that diet :(