Replies

• Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    tumblr_lp3twjD9cI1qzbjdso1_500.jpg
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    By some standards I would have had an eating disorder in 7th and 8th grade because I would only eat 1 to 2 meals a day (and no one realizing that a lot of it had to do with at home circumstances).

Now, to an extent I probably do have "disordered eating" because there are times where I ask myself "am i going to get fat from eating this?" but that is usually when I am eating a cookie or something like that. Unfortunately, that comes from when my mom was alive and she would basically berate about my weight and how she wished I would have looked like a college cheerleader or dancer and why did i have to be the fat kid and blah blah blah. it also doesn't help when my husband says to me "I'm hungry. O wait, you are counting your calories today."

I think when someone comes on and says "I'm eating such and such calories" that it can be cause for alarm. but in the amount of time I have been on mfp, when someone says that, it usually means they are eating too little.

My cousin was 569 this time around when he started trying to lose weight (his heaviest in his life was 1200), and he is now down to 371ish (he drinks 2 shakes a day and one meal). Do i say "that's not right you need to do this instead." nope, because eventually he will learn.

Psychology is an area that i don't understand so therefore i can't give advice on. But some here on mfp have been on here for years, and so they give their 2 cents in hopes to help out and maybe the old saying "another year older, another year wiser" holds some truth.

Also OP, congratulations on the weight loss!!!!!!!!!!

Why would eating one or two meals per day mean somebody has an eating disorder, I don't get that bit, I wonder why some people would think that?

I only have two meals per day and no, I do not have an eating disorder before anybody thinks I do :laugh:

and to the OP, I agree that "eating disorder" is thrown around too much and usually by people that really haven't got a clue what they are on about.

I should have clarified. In the town that I was going to school in, I was told that I had an eating disorder because the meals I would eat would equal out to 500-700 calories a day. But nobody knew that a lot of the times it was either I ate or my mom ate (usually school lunches were nasty enough to make me wanna hurl so I wouldn't eat lunch at school and we didn't have money for me to take lunch to school), and so it went on until i hit high school which is when i finally started breaking down and eating lunch.

I'm not saying you do, there are times still to this day where I will eat only one or 2 meals a day, other times more. And no I don't think you have an eating disorder. I would be more worried if you came on here and said "I eat 500 calories everyday and not feel hungry".

Ahh thanks I see where you are coming from now lol, had me very confused for a moment :laugh:
  • __Di__
    Options
    I have been on this site for almost a year now, and have watched the constant berating by some people for anyone that doesn't eat the same way that they do. I am not saying that a 100 lb girl eating 500 cals a day is ok. No, that is not ok. But I rarely see anything close to that on the boards. There are certainly quite a few young girls on here that definitely have serious eating disorders, but they generally stick to their own little groups and don't post in the general forums.

More often it is the mob that attacks everyone who says they eat 1200 cals a day, and insists they are screwing up their metabolism, losing all their muscle mass, their hair will fall out and they will gain all their weight back plus more as soon as they go back to eating 'normal'. And anyone who HASN'T seen these posts, is not paying very much attention.
    And don't even get me started on 'skinny-fat'.
    If MFP were to raise the limit to 1400, then THAT would be the new magic number to attack people over. SMH.

Also, if anyone says they have cut out certain foods, i.e. processed sugar, gluten, processed carbs, ice cream or pop tarts, then they are indeed attacked and accused of having orthorexia. (a word I had never even heard of before coming on here).

The internet makes everyone an expert, and the power of the typed word makes many people control-freaks. Some people simply cannot go to sleep at night until they have convinced everyone else to think and do as they do. Generally, insecurities in themselves brings this need out.

What really gets me is the newbies that come on here and read thru a few forums and are suddenly experts on the 'right' way to lose weight. Yeah, why don't you give it some time and see how much weight you lose in the next 6 months, or even if you are still here in 6 months, then you can start sharing your words of wisdom with the rest of the class!

For me, I found women around my age, activity level, and starting weight who had successfully lost weight, and friended them. I figure if it worked for them, it might work for me. So far, so good.

But I gotta say, I do really wish the girls would quit starting threads like "1200 calories and not losing", after only a week on here, because this only feeds the trolls. And it usually turns out that they aren't even measuring their food, or they don't count 'cheat days'. Yet you will get the standard reactions of "you need to eat more!!"

If you restrict your calories, then you have disordered eating. If you decide not to eat junk food, then you have orthorexia, but for some reason, if you eat 2000k a day and spend 2 hours in the gym every day burning it off, that is perfectly normal?

Eh, I will just keep doing my thing. Thanks for the platform. Rant over.

Great posting!

The bolded bit above in particular stands out, I could not agree more with what you say.
  • __Di__
    Options
    It doesn't mean it's healthy nor advisable. A shame you see no difference.
    The guy did it under medical supervision. He lived, lost the weight and kept it off.

This suggests it was both healthy and advisable as he was advised to do it. Go figure.

you're an odd duck. you choose these ridiculous points to stand your ground on. avoiding food for months at a time is not healthy. you can survive perhaps, but it's not healthy.

that rugby team that crashed in the Andes in the 70's ended up eating flesh from their dead friends. that's cannibalism. and yet, many of them survived to be rescued. by your logic, that was a healthy diet for them.

what a silly point you are trying to make.

Yarwell is not saying that people should do that "diet" he is saying that under medical supervision, the bloke in that link DID do it and was fine.

It is not a silly point, it is very relevant actually to this thread.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    around here on MFP I see.

If anyone doesnt eat enough calories for the masses, they are told they have an eating disorder.

If anyone goes under the needed calories for a week, the masses tell them they have an eating disorder.

A post I saw earlier where someone said they were scared what they were eating wasnt healthy and they were told they had an eating disorder.

If you do not eat the "right" foods you are told you have an eating disorder.

Guess what folks? Most of us are on here because we are or were fat. You get fat because you have an eating disorder! I think its A-OK to to eat a little less or not eat the "right" foods if it is going to drop some pounds. Obesity can cause heart disease, diabetis, self esttem isses, emotional stress etc etc etc. If you have to have a different type of "eating disorder" and you are already very large, you do what you gotta do.

I have lost quite a bit of weight and have not done it the "right" way according to most of the "experts" on here. I can tell you I feel 1000% better now than I did 70 pounds ago in every shape form and fashion however.

Just kills me when people are here trying to better themselves and doing a good thing and people constantly want to tell them they have an eating disorder and need to seek professional help or a doctor. In a perfect world we would all like to be able to run 10 miles, eat all the veggies and go to the gym 3 hours per day and see the best doctors and nutritionists.. Time wise, emotionally and financially that is just not possible for everyone.

So I commend everyone who is dropping weight in order to become healthier even if you have a temporary "eating disorder" for a period of time to do it. In the long run, it is still much better than being obese for the rest of your life!

I am sure I will get flamed for this, but that's ok.

Is this a joke? You write about other labeling people with an eating disorder and giving unhealthy, uneducated and unfair opinions but you are the one who gave the worst one of all... Pot, kettle Black. You did it "the right way" yet you tell others its okay to have an eating disorder??? You sir, do not make any sense at all. Everything you have said is well, ignorant. The thing you forgot to mention is that most of these people create a topic asking for advice. Its not like others are seeking them out just to criticize them. If they ask for others opinions then they should be prepared to hears ones they don't like. That goes for you too.

Tell me, how is a temporary eating disorder going to help this person in the long run? How are they going to learn how to eat for life? Basically what your saying It is okay to either starve yourself and binge and throw up to keep your weight down. All that is going to do is create a yo yo effect with their weight. They eat unhealthy for 3 months, gain weight, starve themselves for another 3 months, lose the weight...while still not knowing how to eat right properly mind you, then they gain it back, then starve themselves again.
    That's whats wrong with people like you. You think your standing up for a good cause but your really enabling them.

There are plenty of websites out there that give you the same info as nutritionist will give you. Unless these people are working 16 hour days, there is NO excuse not to educate themselves. If they have time for Facebook, if they have time to watch TV...they have time to visit a few websites!!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Guess what folks? Most of us are on here because we are or were fat. You get fat because you have an eating disorder!

I didn't have any eating disorder. By the math, I ate about 80 calories/day too many over a period of 20 years. I simply didn't notice how fat I had become since it was so gradual over time, and I never weighed myself. I finally got too big to fit comfortably in a chair, and also realized that I was wearing my old maternity clothes, so I decided to change. And here I am.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Eating disorder and disordered eating are two different things. I've seen more with disordered eating here than actual disorders. Usually orthorexia, often overeating.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disordered_eating

That is a horrible article. I read it and still have no clue what it's supposed to mean. Disordered eating....does that mean skipping breakfast? Does that mean eating a big breakfast and a light lunch and dinner? Does that mean having dessert with every meal? A better definition is needed here.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Just reposting one of my previous posts, people. Food is not a cure all.

and once again...
    From The Way To Cook, written by Julia Child and published in 1989.

"Because of media hype and woefully inadequate information, too many people nowadays are deathly afraid of their food, and what does fear of food do to the digestive system? ... I, for one, would much rather swoon over a few thin slices of prime beefsteak, or one small serving of chocolate mousse, or a sliver of foie gras than indulge to the full on such nonentities as fat-free gelatin puddings."

"The pleasures of the table — that lovely old-fashioned phrase — depict food as an art form, as a delightful part of civilized life. In spite of food fads, fitness programs, and health concerns, we must never lose sight of a beautifully conceived meal."

and....

“Life itself is the proper binge.” ― Julia Child

Great quotes!!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Obviously people don't understand what an eating disorder is. According to the FAO, the average person in the world needs a minimum of 1800 calories a day to maintain their weight and yet, people here will say 1200 to lose weight is starving yourself.

http://www.fao.org/hunger/en/

I think it's healthier to lose slowly, better for your metabolism, better for your mental and physical well-being. Also, you can't use the average calories of people who are at a normal weight to decipher how many calories an overweight person ought to eat to lose weight.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    Merely because you have lots of fat stored does NOT mean you can safely live off it. Fat has no nutrients stored. Yes, your body can cannibalize the calories. It cannot cannibalize protein, calcium, etc etc.

Actually it can work without food for a very long time. It takes months for hunger strikers to meet their end and you should familiarise yourself with Mr AB of Scotland - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2495396/pdf/postmedj00315-0056.pdf - who didn't eat for over a year.

Yes, and I'm sure they are hitting the gym daily in their weakened state. :laugh:
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    you choose these ridiculous points to stand your ground on. avoiding food for months at a time is not healthy. you can survive perhaps, but it's not healthy.

In what way was this medically supervised procedure, reported in a peer reviewed journal, "not healthy". The guy didn't eat for a year. Does that disturb you in some way ?

Weighing over 300 lbs is not healthy, the guy clearly improved his health and prospects massively. In doing it the way he did we can gain useful insight into the body's behaviour under extremes that can guide us under more sensible conditions.
    what a silly point you are trying to make.
    whatever. The point is that the assertions banded out by many are unfounded nonsense.

Try to stick to the subject and save us the ad hominem comments.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Yes, and I'm sure they are hitting the gym daily in their weakened state. :laugh:

The large majority of people have no interest in going near a gym, they can loose weight without.

In fact the solution to the "eating 1200, exercising like mad and not loosing" people may well be to drop the exercise part, as Lyle McDonald suggests.
  • siqiniq
    siqiniq Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Just kills me when people are here trying to better themselves and doing a good thing and people constantly want to tell them they have an eating disorder and need to seek professional help or a doctor. In a perfect world we would all like to be able to run 10 miles, eat all the veggies and go to the gym 3 hours per day and see the best doctors and nutritionists..

+1

The majority of people don't do formal exercise, and many would rather eat their organs than go to a gym.

At least in the UK this stupid 1200 calorie thing isn't "a thing" at all :-)

And this is a problem for you because.........??
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Also, if anyone says they have cut out certain foods, i.e. processed sugar, gluten, processed carbs, ice cream or pop tarts, then they are indeed attacked and accused of having orthorexia. (a word I had never even heard of before coming on here).
    That is the only one that has thrown me (I never heard of it before coming here either). Deciding to stay away from twinkies and eat vegetables, potatoes, meat and fat is not an eating disorder anymore than it is if you tell people you hate broccoli or all vegetables as I have seen many times on this board. Weird. Some people are really attached to the idea that you should be able to eat everything and lose weight. It doesn't work so easily for everyone, and some people chose to eat differently for health.

The times I've seen people concerned about anorexia with a poster are mostly when that poster has a history of an eating disorder listed in their profile.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options

Orthorexia is a recognized (if not relatively "new" term, coined in 1997) eating disorder. As with all eating disorders, criteria is met when the level of anxiety concerning the food you are eating damages your daily life, social living, and mental health.

It is a real thing and not simply an MFP creation.
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    Orthorexia is a recognized (if not relatively "new" term, coined in 1997) eating disorder
    I just looked it up. It's not in DSM 5, so it's not yet 'recognized' by the official diagnosis manual.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    Double post. Curses.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    Orthorexia is a recognized (if not relatively "new" term, coined in 1997) eating disorder
    I just looked it up. It's not in DSM 5, so it's not yet 'recognized' by the official diagnosis manual.

It is not in the DSMV (which is and has been under serious overhauls for a few years now as we are discovering more and more workings of the brain). But you will find many psychiatrists will use the word as a diagnosis. Often patients with restrictive diets, such as anorexia, will "switch" to orthorexia as a way to restrict foods. When your eating - regardless of how healthy it is - leads to anxiety, a refusal to enjoy food in the company of others, and consumes more of your time than is enjoyable, that becomes a problem. As such, professionals have been finding terms to label it and thus make treatment easier.
  • shannashannabobana
    Options
    As such, professionals have been finding terms to label it and thus make treatment easier.
    That's fine, people love labels, but it is not in the DSM, so I'm guessing it's because the criteria seems a little too broad or because if people have some serious type of problem (I'm not talking about avoiding gluten or some processed foods!) it is included in 'eating disorder not specified'.

Orthorexia is thrown around WAY too quickly on this site, for some pretty nonsense reasons, imo. It's not necessary to label everybody who is avoiding twinkies with a (not even officially recognized) eating disorder.
  • quirkytizzy
    Options
    As such, professionals have been finding terms to label it and thus make treatment easier.
    That's fine, people love labels, but it is not in the DSM, so I'm guessing it's because the criteria seems a little too broad or because if people have some serious type of problem (I'm not talking about avoiding gluten or some processed foods!) it is included in 'eating disorder not specified'.

Orthorexia is thrown around WAY too quickly on this site, for some pretty nonsense reasons, imo. It's not necessary to label everybody who is avoiding twinkies with a (not even officially recognized) eating disorder.

Many words are thrown on this site far too easily, I agree.