Always Hungry

Options
2»

Replies

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,137 Member
    Options
    I thought peanut butter was good for you

PB is fine if you can fit in your goals and you like it. It's not evil.
  • LPflaum
    LPflaum Posts: 174 Member
    Options

Everything in moderation. Peanut butter is extremely calorie dense- 1 tablespoon has 94 calories, 8 grams of fat, 1.5g of sugar, and 4g of protein. One or two tablespoons isn't a bad idea. A quarter of cup will give you more than half of your fat calories for an entire day.
  • PiperGirl08
    PiperGirl08 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Hi guys!

So I'm two months into my weight loss journey, down 11 pounds. Lately, I've been noticing I'm hungry ALL day. I eat healthy, protein, that jazz. But for example pre-workout I only have 330 calories to eat.

Today I had: oatmeal with raspberries
    Apple
    Chicken breast with brown rice avocado fresh fruit and Greek yogurt
    Think thin granola bar
    Celery & peanut butter

I'm eating enough but I'm hungry. What do I do?

Lose the granola bar and replace with fruit.
    Have the Chicken Breast meal for dinner.
    Have PB on whole grain for lunch.
    You should still have room for an after dinner snack.

Don't follow the advice about smoking and diet soda.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    @DisneyDude85 I understood she still has more calories yet to consume. The granola bar almost certainly has some fat, potentially milk in the oatmeal depending how it's prepped. Peanut butter is SO calorie dense without being filling that there must be other food choices that could replace it and still have some fat. It was just a suggestion for how to feel fuller on the same calories.
  • LPflaum
    Options
    Hi guys!

So I'm two months into my weight loss journey, down 11 pounds. Lately, I've been noticing I'm hungry ALL day. I eat healthy, protein, that jazz. But for example pre-workout I only have 330 calories to eat.

Today I had: oatmeal with raspberries
    Apple
    Chicken breast with brown rice avocado fresh fruit and Greek yogurt
    Think thin granola bar
    Celery & peanut butter

I'm eating enough but I'm hungry. What do I do?

Maybe replace that granola bar with a protein shake?
  • LPflaum
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    @DisneyDude85 I understood she still has more calories yet to consume. The granola bar almost certainly has some fat, potentially milk in the oatmeal depending how it's prepped. Peanut butter is SO calorie dense without being filling that there must be other food choices that could replace it and still have some fat. It was just a suggestion for how to feel fuller on the same calories.

Which ThinkThin bar are you eating?
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    you don't list the amounts you're eating, so it could be that, but you're eating most of your protein mid-day. maybe spread it out throughout the day. a non-fat greek yogurt in the morning won't add many calories if you drop the raspberries. you're already having an apple.

fruit sugars don't last as long as complex carbs, and peanut butter is calorie dense, so if you're waiting to eat more or eat more often, maybe you could replace it with a dip made of non-fat greek yogurt, dill, a little parmesan cheese.
  • PiperGirl08
    PiperGirl08 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Personally, I find PB to be filling -- I have 2TBS of fresh ground most days for lunch. PB also has numerous nutritional benefits, so the calories are not empty.
  • no_day_but_2day
    no_day_but_2day Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    LPflaum wrote: »

Everything in moderation. Peanut butter is extremely calorie dense- 1 tablespoon has 94 calories, 8 grams of fat, 1.5g of sugar, and 4g of protein. One or two tablespoons isn't a bad idea. A quarter of cup will give you more than half of your fat calories for an entire day.

Depends which kind you get
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Your 1 T of peanut butter is not the problem.

Looks like your macros are set to 60% carbs, 15% fat, and 25% protein, which is not working for you, as you are hungry. You could add protein powder, an egg, or Greek yogurt to your breakfast. Or have eggs. Since you're an omnivore, just have more meat with other meals.

I like 40% carbs, 30% fat, and 30% protein, which, FWIW, also happens to be "The Zone." I can go higher on carbs when I'm getting them from foods such as legumes. I have to be careful of foods made from flour as this triggers me to overeat. I make sure my snacks have protein as well. For example, I had cheese, almonds, and a tangerine today.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    Try more protein and/or fat. Both help keep you fuller for longer.
  • whatfatjeans
    whatfatjeans Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! Could I also be burning too much and not eating enough? I've already burnt 500 calories today at the gym and I'm about 2/3 done with my workout
  • Colorscheme
    Options
    Thank you all for your help! Could I also be burning too much and not eating enough? I've already burnt 500 calories today at the gym and I'm about 2/3 done with my workout

How are you calculating that? fitness tracker?
  • whatfatjeans
    Options

Yes that's what MFP says.
  • LeslieB042812
    LeslieB042812 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options

That's not the same as a fitness tracker that measures your heart rate. MFP is notorious for over estimating calorie burns. You're likely burning less than half what MFP tells you you are. Just eat back half your MFP calories.

I didn't look at your diary, but someone else mentioned that you have a lot sweets. Try focusing on whole foods (meat, eggs, veggies, whole grains, etc) for a few days and see how you feel. I think you'll find them more filling. There's nothing wrong with treats (I eat them most days), but it can help to try eating whole foods for a set number of days to see how that affects your hunger.

Good luck!
  • Colorscheme
    Options

I meant through a Fitbit, or just inputting exercises from the database? if it is the latter, that's very inaccurate.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Many posters suggest you halve the exercise calories given directly by MFP as these burns are considered to be inflated.

This is not the same thing as the calories a FitBit sends to MFP.
  • wortn
    wortn Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Try more protein and/or fat. Both help keep you fuller for longer.

I agree with this. I was constantly hungry and unable to loose weight. I had to switch to low carb and up the fat to 70% . While I have not weighted myself, my clothes feel looser. Plus, the hunger is somewhat under control. If I'm too hungry and have an opportunity for a nap, I definitely use it.
  • whatfatjeans
    Options
    Hi guys!

Thank you all for your input. I added protein to my breakfast to help keep me full and more veggies at lunch. Today I didn't wake up super hungry & I also drank all the water I wanted to yesterday so I think that's for sure correlated.