Experience with Wifi Scales - Fitbit Aria, Withings, etc.

Options
djsiry
djsiry Posts: 12 Member
Anybody have any experience with the Fitbit aria or Withings scale? I don't care too much about the body fat measurements (which are never very accurate) but I can't stand a scale that is inaccurate and/or inconsistent with weight measurements.

I have a Taylor digital scale that got great reviews for accuracy from Consumer Reports, but it turns out it is a software trick that makes you think its dead accurate. Once you step on the scale and the number is stabilized it remembers that number. If you step on the scale again and the reading is anywhere near that original reading, it just shows the original reading. That's technological cheating, not electromechanical accuracy!

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I have the Aria. Since mine can't just be left out (no room), the first step on weight is off typically (sometimes up to 10 lbs, but it's not supposed to be moved and the instructions say if it is moved it can take 3 times stepping on to recalibrate. Since I'm moving it I need to recalibrate it each time I use it. Once it's recalibrated the weight readings if not the same will sometimes be 0.1- 0.2 lbs different with each step on (example of what I saw this morning: 124.3 (first step on) and after that 121.3, 121.4, 121.3).
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Have you tried stepping on it, stepping off and weighing a known weight and verifying it is accurate, and then weighing again?
  • melissa6771
    melissa6771 Posts: 894 Member
    Options
    I am curious about this too. I asked for the withings for my birthday coming up. They have a version without the body fat that's $50 less. With a coupon at bed bath and beyond it will be $80. Plus I have my tanita for that which I love.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    I have a Withings scale (the one with the fat measurement). I have been using it for over a year and the only have one complaint. It sometimes loses the WiFi connection and has to be reset to reconnect. It has happened 3 times in the past 16 months. Not a major issue, but it is annoying when it happens.

I only weigh once a week so I have no idea how it would react if I did it more than one time in a row. It has been very accurate for the weekly weigh ins.

The main reason I went with Withings is because it syncs with almost everything. Many of the competing scales only sync with their company software (or a few others).
  • scorpio516
    scorpio516 Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Dcrainmaker has a nice comparison between the 4 out (withings, Fitbit, Garmin, under armour).
    Basically they are all good scales, pick the ecosystem you live in. Ie if you have a Fitbit, buy their one.
    If you don't live in one of the ecosystems, pick the cheapest or the withings.