If one's BMR is 1500 - is it wise to eat a 1200 cal diet

Options
I have been calculating my BMR to see why the last two weeks haven't been a bit more fruitful. I wasn't expecting a windfall of weight loss... but it would have been nice to see a down on the scale rather than an up.

Based on my BMR of 1532 - and a TDEE of 2106, I should expect to lose a lb per week at 1600. Not so much... but I'll stick with it a few more weeks to see if a whoosh is coming.

My question is, will it seriously mess up one's metabolism to go to 1200 (not to mention I feel like eating my children at this level)... I wouldn't want to or be able to sustain it for very long.

I have been on the 500 cal, HCG diet and ROYALLY messed up my metabolism. I feel it's back to normal now, based on a normal body temperature of 98.6. Is it wise to mess with that by dipping down to 1200?

Replies

• SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    There's no need to go that low.. you're fine at 1600. If you aren't losing at 1600 you are either over estimating your exercise calories or aren't weighing and tracking your food correctly. Also give it 4-6 weeks to see a difference if you really crack down on the food it will show! If you aren't sure about a food item always over estimate what is on mfp.
  • SarahPeters3
    SarahPeters3 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Also based on your previous posts I would suggest seeing a nutritionist for all of this.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    No, because you would be eating less than you need to stay alive, that's what BMR is.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    My tdee is 1530. So at this point I try to average out 1200 per day. Its not someting I can do for a very long time I don't think.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    keep in mind that BMR and TDEE, not to mention exercise calories, are very general, based on the average person for your height and weight. i used to be very serious into strength training at 170 pounds and ate well over 2000 calories per day to maintain that weight. i'm the same weight now, but with a much higher body fat percentage and lower muscle, so if i eat more than 1500 calories per day i gain weight.

to the OP, how tall are you and are you a woman? how hard do you work out? i'm 5' 3", and lost lots of weight eating 1200 calories per day, but decided that life's too short not to enjoy - nowadays i eat 1300 to 1450 calories, leaving room for a treat or one more small meal each day. and btw, your metabolism is adaptable - you won't ruin it.
  • shortcdngirl
    shortcdngirl Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and I had a hard time with 1200. I upped mine to 1350. Those extra 150 calories let's me have a fun snack if I want. I am happy with my meals and I don't feel like I am under eaeting. For people to say 1200 your eating to little. No. Trying being a shorty :( lol