What does your workout week look like?

Options
13»

Replies

• JulesLWM
    JulesLWM Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I don't know if the gym you go to offers free classes with your membership. Mine didn't used to, but they do now. It has helped alleviate what can sometimes become the same boring routines that I was always doing by myself. I can see how the machines would be intimidating. I was lucky enough to go to a high school where we had an amazing weight training facility, and where we got to choose from a variety of gym sessions. I was never into team sports. I am a shy and sensitive person. Team sports always made me terrified that I would mess up and let my team down. I ended up choosing sessions on weight training, archery, tennis... I really got to understand the weight training equipment in school, and I think that made me feel a lot more confident about walking into a gym. I love the classes now too! Body Pump and Yoga courses of all kind are my personal favorites. I feel more motivated in a group class, and I push myself harder than if I was alone. Even as reserved as I am, I have found some people that I am comfortable with there. The first time I went to Body Pump it took me weeks to go back. I was even lifting light, but I was sore for a week. Now I take that class 2-3 times a week, I lift more than I ever thought I would, and very little to no soreness the next day!
  • chalaivy
    chalaivy Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    MindPump1 wrote: »
    There are so many programs out there. I used to to split body parts, but found I would plateau easily after a while. If your just starting out, almost any program you pick up and do will give you results, any! But be mindful what your doing to your body. I have recently dropped to 3 days of heavy lifting and 2 days to anabolic training. I have seen far more gains doing this workout this then split body parts. Now I am doing full body while I lift my 3 heavy days, squats, deadlifts are the cornerstone of my workouts.

Do yourself a favor and do some research. I came across Mind Pump and they have helped me tremendously. They are a fitness podcast on iTunes, and I follow one of their programs while I lift. Honestly it's the best thing I have ever done in my lifting career. Best of luck in your journey!

I'm trying to research but there is, like you said, so many programs out there.. It's overwhelming and hard for a beginner to decide on their own where they should start, which program they should go with.. I will check out the Mind Pump podcast. Thanks for the info :)
  • MindPump1
    MindPump1 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    chalaivy wrote: »
    MindPump1 wrote: »
    There are so many programs out there. I used to to split body parts, but found I would plateau easily after a while. If your just starting out, almost any program you pick up and do will give you results, any! But be mindful what your doing to your body. I have recently dropped to 3 days of heavy lifting and 2 days to anabolic training. I have seen far more gains doing this workout this then split body parts. Now I am doing full body while I lift my 3 heavy days, squats, deadlifts are the cornerstone of my workouts.

Do yourself a favor and do some research. I came across Mind Pump and they have helped me tremendously. They are a fitness podcast on iTunes, and I follow one of their programs while I lift. Honestly it's the best thing I have ever done in my lifting career. Best of luck in your journey!

I'm trying to research but there is, like you said, so many programs out there.. It's overwhelming and hard for a beginner to decide on their own where they should start, which program they should go with.. I will check out the Mind Pump podcast. Thanks for the info :)

I started lifting when I was in high school and I followed the program given to us for our entire football team. Problem is, its a cookie cutter program, and split body part workouts. Chest one day, legs the next, while it worked in high school, its hard to follow those as we get older. I stopped lifting for about 5 years after high school and decided I needed to drop weight-losing 135 pounds. I followed almost every program on bodybuilding.com, and again, all of them were cookie cutter programs that tell you to do legs on day, chest the next and do 8-12 reps each time. When I came across Mind Pump I started listening a few months ago, I did it mainly for the entertainment part but quickly realized that these guys are very intelligent and have designed some awesome programs. I have 2 of them that I have purchased, one that I am working through. I have seen amazing gains in my lifts, and I am losing weight again. Best decision I have made. Hope you find what your looking for.
  • Christa_Smith
    Christa_Smith Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    No rest days for me.... I run a mile (or 2) everyday plus row 2000m AND:

M/W/F - Bootcamp
    T/Th/Sat/Sun - Zumba & Abs

Mondays I also do an hour group training session with a mix of cardio intervals & strength training.
  • Alarae21
    Alarae21 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    A typical week for me:

Mon - 1.5 mile lunchtime walk, Body Conditioning - Weights (55 mins), Bokwa (60 mins)
    Tues - 1.5 mile lunchtime walk, Pilates (60 mins), Spin (45 mins)
    Weds - 1.5 mile lunchtime walk, Upper Body and Abs (45 mins), Spin (45 mins)
    Thurs - 1.5 mile lunchtime walk, Pilates (60 mins)
    Fri - 1.5 mile lunchtime walk, Cardio Aerobics (45 mins)
    Sat - Barre Toning (45 mins), Pilates (60 mins), Body Conditioning (60 mins)
    Sun - REST DAY!!

I also throw in a Stronglifts workout if I feel up to it during the week.

At the start of this year I would have laughed at you if you said I would do this much, let alone own a gym membership! I'm totally a gym convert though.
  • shank35l
    shank35l Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Mon - 1 hour upper body conditioning, 15 minutes moderate cardio, 15 minutes stretching
    Tues - 1 hour HIIT, 30 minutes stretching
    Weds - 1 hour lower body conditioning, 15 minutes moderate cardio, 15 minutes stretching
    Thurs - 1 hour HIIT, 30 minutes stretching
    Fri - 1 hour upper body conditioning, 15 minutes moderate cardio, 15 minutes stretching
    Sat - Trail runs between 2 and 4 miles (sand and rocks), 30 minutes stretching
    Sun - Intermediate level yoga
  • lingo10
    lingo10 Posts: 305 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I try to aim for 5-6 days on and 1-2 days off.

2-3 days of Les Mills Workouts or Kickboxing or spinning, cardio (HIIT or intervals)
    2 days of pilates or barre workout
    1-2 day of strength training
    1 day of yoga/ active stretching

And sometimes 1 day of group training classes a week if I can to substitute one of the above.
  • serenityfrye
    serenityfrye Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Monday - lower body (deadlift, squat, lunge, hyperextention, abs)
    Tuesday - cardio
    Wednesday - pull (various rows, pull ups, abs)
    Thursday - cardio
    Friday - push (push ups, bench, dips, ohp, flys, abs)
    Weekends off

Fwiw I've been off on injury for a while now though
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    MWF are strength days, alternating body focus upper & lower, or some weeks I do total body workouts but with less weight. I usually do some form of cardio mixed in, like HIIT in between sets (I use FitnessBlender.com for workouts, and they have a ton of free online workouts) or at least walking my dogs, but some days it's just the weights. TThS I run 3-5 miles, and Sunday is always a rest day. Some weeks I take an extra rest day if I'm extra tired, sore, or just busy - life happens. :)
  • Stripeymitten
    Stripeymitten Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    At the moment I am doing:
    Rebounding for an hour daily
    C25k every other day
    Body By You bodyweight training every other day
    30 mins extra rebounding on non-c25k days
    Walk 40 mins every Sunday (to my mum's and back for Sunday dinner :) )

I am still a beginner as you can see. when I start at the gym at the end of this month I will also be doing lifting.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    M. New Rules of lifting for women. 1 mile run warmup, 2 miles after.
    T--rest.
    W--new rules lifting & 3 m run
    R. 20 min step video at home & sprints
    F--new rules and 3 m run.
    S--5 ish m run
    S--3 m run or rest.