Deleting this app

Options
2»

Replies

• Rushbrook60
    Rushbrook60 Posts: 95 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    My PT at the gym told me to go on Google, type in BMR and use the calculator on the BMI site, which is the first website option it brings up (no, I didn't get them wrong, they are actually two different things). My PT is also a qualified nutritionist and he said use the BMR calculator to work out how many calories you need to consume to survive, then add 300 additional calories for "activity", but not to go over 2,500 for males or 2,000 for females...so if your calories come in at 2,400, don't increase to 2,700, just consume up to 2,500 per day.

If you go into nutrtion on this app, you can change the amount of calories you can allow yourself each day by clicking on "goal". Again my PT uses this app himself, so showed me what to do, seems to be working so far.

Hope this helps some way

Are you saying this is how to figure your maintenance calories? Because I am a female, and even eating your "max" calories suggestion, I would lose weight. And if the OP is a 195 lb lean male who is doing hard lifting sessions, he probably needs more than 2500 to maintain.
    Also, the site does not suggest to just "add 300 for activity." It says to use a multiplier. Using said multiplier brought me to 2600, which as I said above is close to my maintenance. And much more than you're saying I should eat...

My PT said that to be your supposed weight for your height, then the max is the 2000 or 2500. If you're aiming to gain weight, then eat more, if you're aiming to loose weight, eat less.

With the website, he said ignore the bit with the multiply because it is assuming you will burn a certain amount of calories everyday through exercise. When you exercise, you generally know what you've burnt (whether through this app calculating it based on how much time you put into the exercise or the gym equipment telling you) so you would add the exercise to the app accordingly and you, in effect, get those calories back to eat again (and obviously you only get those calories back on the day you burn them rather than the website assuming you will be performing exercise and burning those calories everyday, and therefore able to eat them)...the website doesn't give you the option to add in your expected calories burnt from exercise so is basing it on an assumed amount from how active you may or may not be, everyday, whereas by using the app, you are getting a far more accurate reading (ie. Your max is 2000, which you eat, but in the meantime you burn 300 at the gym, which effectively means you can eat 2300 because you've gained 300 of those calories back through burning them and technically have still only eaten 2000).

Like I say the website is basing your calories on a guessed amount of burnt calories through exercise everyday so you could actually be burning more or less than the website guesses, hence why the app works better. According to the website, for me to lose weight, after the multiply, I should have been eating more than 2000 calories because it is assuming I am burning a certain amount of calories everyday, but that wouldn't work because it's over what a female should consume to make the body function so it actually not going to work because it'll just keep me fat by eating too much.

Did you know that your body burns 1000 calories each day just by functioning the likes of your heart pumping blood round your body, blinking, talking etc....I must admit, having had a nutritionist explain this to me really helped me get a better insight as to how and why we need to be sensible about eating.

If it helps to explain better, my daily calories are 2000 after the 300 activity calories have been included (based on the nutritionist/PT knowledge and advice)...on Monday, I burnt 400 calories at the gym so could technically eat the whole 2000 plus the 400 I burnt so gained back, making my total consumption 2400 (I didn't but could have)...yesterday I didn't go to the gym, so could only have up to my total 2000...today, I went gym but only burnt 250 calories, so could eat 2250 (again not that I need to).

Hope this gives a little insight
  • not_a_runner
    not_a_runner Posts: 1,343 Member
    Options
    My PT at the gym told me to go on Google, type in BMR and use the calculator on the BMI site, which is the first website option it brings up (no, I didn't get them wrong, they are actually two different things). My PT is also a qualified nutritionist and he said use the BMR calculator to work out how many calories you need to consume to survive, then add 300 additional calories for "activity", but not to go over 2,500 for males or 2,000 for females...so if your calories come in at 2,400, don't increase to 2,700, just consume up to 2,500 per day.

If you go into nutrtion on this app, you can change the amount of calories you can allow yourself each day by clicking on "goal". Again my PT uses this app himself, so showed me what to do, seems to be working so far.

Hope this helps some way

Are you saying this is how to figure your maintenance calories? Because I am a female, and even eating your "max" calories suggestion, I would lose weight. And if the OP is a 195 lb lean male who is doing hard lifting sessions, he probably needs more than 2500 to maintain.
    Also, the site does not suggest to just "add 300 for activity." It says to use a multiplier. Using said multiplier brought me to 2600, which as I said above is close to my maintenance. And much more than you're saying I should eat...

My PT said that to be your supposed weight for your height, then the max is the 2000 or 2500. If you're aiming to gain weight, then eat more, if you're aiming to loose weight, eat less.

With the site, he said ignore the bit with the multiply because when you exercise, you generally know what you've burnt and would add it to the app and you, in effect, get those calories back to eat again...the website doesn't give you the option to add in your expected calories burnt from exercise so is basing it on an assumed amount from how active you may or may not be, whereas by using the app, you are getting a far more accurate reading (ie. Your max is 2000, which you eat, but in the meantime you burn 300 at the gym, which effectively means you can eat 2300 because you've gained 300 of those calories back through burning them and technically have still only eaten 2000).

Like I say the website is basing your calories on a guessed amount of burnt calories through exercise so you could actually be burning more or less than the website guesses, hence why the app works better. According to the app, for me to lose weight, I should have been eating more than 2000 calories, but that wouldn't work because it's over what a female should consume to make the body function so it actually not going to work because it'll just keep me fat lol.

Did you know that your body burns 1000 calories each day just by functioning the likes of your heart pumping blood round your body, blinking, talking etc....I must admit, having had a nutritionist explain this to me really helped me get a better insight as to how and why we need to be sensible about eating.

You can actually set your calorie goal to include your exercise. I do this, I just ignore what MFP suggests I eat and set my own calorie goal based on my TDEE. My exercise is generally the same. Same workouts, same cardio. Every single week. No reason for me to log all of it when I already know how much I need to eat. But regardless of that...

Many women maintain their weight eating more than 2000 calories. Many women can lose weight eating more than 2000 calories. Same for men and 2500. Bodies are individual, and some people require a lot more than others. Someone who is very active will require much more than someone who is sedentary.
    There are no set numbers for which men and women cannot eat more than, like you are suggesting. Those are just recommendations, and not everyone will fall under them.
  • Rushbrook60
    Rushbrook60 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    You're right about eating more, after exercise, hence how I explained the total consumption. If you are very active, of course you will need more because you've burnt off a lot of what you've consumed. For Monday, because I'd burnt 400 calories, I could have eaten a total of 2400, which was effectively only 2000 because I'd burnt 400 of those off and gained them back and I'd still have lost weight even though I'd eaten more than 2000. Now if someone who had been inactive all day had eaten 2400 calories, then that wouldn't have had the same effect on their body because they hadn't burnt off the extra to eat. As time goes on and my body shrinks (hopefully), my calorie intake will adjust...with any luck, by being healthier, I'll be fitter and go to the gym more often, and my calorie intake will adjust to include that too. I'm not reliant on MFP site generating my calories for me, I'm using my PT's method which is far more accurate than what MFP reckons I should have, and I'm changing my calorie intake based on the BMR calculator system (tried and tested scientific calculation from some very intelligent man many moons ago, before we were even born).

I'm not saying what you are saying is wrong, I think maybe we just haven't understood each others explanations...the joys of text/written responses rather than verbal, it's not always easy to get the point across. I have no reason to doubt what a qualified nutritionist would advise on so I'm now putting it to the test.

But each to their own and we'll each do as we see fit.