What alcohol to drink

Options
trish2016
trish2016 Posts: 156 Member
I'm 40 in a few weeks time and there will be some celebrations but for someone who only has to look at food for the weight to go on I'd like to know people's suggestions for what I can drink as I usually love Erdinger Beer or wine but know they are full of calories.
I am in Ireland so if anyone knows of drinks I can have from here let me know, there is no point me saying I won't drink because I know I will and I want to celebrate but put loads of weight on.
I wonder if I did extra classes at the gym that week would it help?

Replies

• Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I'll have a light beer now and then at 99 calories. Guess I could drink 6 and skip some food on party day. Actually I couldn't drink six, but theoretically. How many beers are you planning to drink? Just hit the gym hard that morning and cut back on other stuff.
  • nknjansen
    nknjansen Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    If I drink, I drink vodka soda with lime or lemon. That way I am only getting the vodka calories and I am staying more hydrated.

You can save "extra room" by eating a little less in the preceding days, but what I would really watch out for is drunk snacking. It's my downfall. Try an plan out what food you want to eat so you can make smarter choices at the parties.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Drink what you enjoy....
  • eldamiano
    eldamiano Posts: 2,667 Member
    Options
    Life obviously doesnt begin at 40 if one considers making compromises on a once in a lifetime celebration....
  • kingrat2014
    kingrat2014 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I get my my wine from Dry Farm Wines because I like their criteria.

No sugar / No carb - all wines are <1g/L
    Low sulfites - 75ppm
    No mold / no ocrhatoxin A (mandatory EU testing)
    No additives / chemicals
    Fermented with Native Wild Yeasts
    Low Alcohol - all wines are <12.5% alcohol
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    What alcohol? Hmm? Wood or grain?
  • danich
    danich Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I like mojitos minus the simple syrup and I add stevia. Or flavored vodka and soda with lemon, lime or orange. I have to check out the dry farms wine kingrat suggested. Happy early birthday! Enjoy yourself!
  • trish2016
    Options
    eldamiano wrote: »
    Life obviously doesnt begin at 40 if one considers making compromises on a once in a lifetime celebration....

Well I don't want to throw away all my hard work as I am being really strict on my healthy eating plan and not going off it so dont want to go out one night and ruin it all but still want to celebrate hence the post.
  • trish2016
    Options
    I get my my wine from Dry Farm Wines because I like their criteria.

No sugar / No carb - all wines are <1g/L
    Low sulfites - 75ppm
    No mold / no ocrhatoxin A (mandatory EU testing)
    No additives / chemicals
    Fermented with Native Wild Yeasts
    Low Alcohol - all wines are <12.5% alcohol

I wonder can you get that here in Ireland I will check it out.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    One night, or even a few nights of celebration is not going to ruin all your hard work. If you know your going out one night then just exercise a bit more that morning. If I were in Ireland I would enjoy all of those wonderful beers you guys have over there, then cap it of with an Irish coffee. yum! Just have fun and enjoy yourself. :smile:
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym so I can splurge and drink a wonderful craft beer.
  • mswanger09
    mswanger09 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    trish2016 wrote: »

Well I don't want to throw away all my hard work as I am being really strict on my healthy eating plan and not going off it so dont want to go out one night and ruin it all but still want to celebrate hence the post.

One day isn't throwing it all away! You have to cut yourself some slack and have some fun and enjoy yourself from time to time!
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    Work out if it makes you feel better.

Wine and hard liquor will have less calories per drink than beer, generally.

I stay away from "light" beers because I want to get my buzz on! Low calorie beers are low because the alcohol content is lower.
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Getdrunknotfat.com
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    I exercise (running) to drink scotch, wine and beer on a daily basis and can lose weight doing so. I say control food, drink moderate and exercise daily. It works for me.
  • charleycartee
    charleycartee Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    trish2016 wrote: »

Unless you have an "I must be X weight by Y date for Z event" sort of thing going on... I'd personally just celebrate and let the chips (and empty bottles) fall where they may.
  • vitty1
    vitty1 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Vodka water - skinny margaritas (the brand) - light beer - red wine AND

do some extra cardio

:) ENJOY your birthday, only comes once a year~
  • ivanfawcettgibson
    ivanfawcettgibson Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Bushmills, and lots of it.