Setting weights up at home for a newbie, any tips?

Options
call3na
call3na Posts: 33 Member
I posted recently for some advice on my exercise routine which is primarily cardio ie. Running and swimming, though I do do 1 or 2 circuit training sessions every week, which is mostly body weight exercise with a few resistance band/lower weight exercises in there. I also surf and do T'ai Chi for flexibility.

I'm looking to build a bit more strength too so weights were recommended. But I'm stuck as to what is best to use at home. I have 2 dumbbells, 2kg each and that's it. I don't really want to buy masses of stuff but also don't really want to faff about with changing weights all the time when working out. What would anyone recommend? I guess I'm looking to get the minimum so I can just get on and do stuff, the 2kg barely feels like anything is there though unless I do many reps.

I do squats and push ups currently on 1/2 of the days I do cardio. I can still work on bodyweight stuff like being able to do more full push-ups as I generally wimp out after doing 5 or so by going back to my knees lol. I've seen various weights plans but all seem to need various kit that I just don't have.

My main focus is on putting on a bit of weight healthily and gaining some strength and muscle definition along the way though I'm not striving to be able to lift massively heavy. I'm trying to eat back any calories I expend in exercise and hitting at least 75g of protein a day to prevent muscle weakness as I was finding I was going backwards with my strength due to not eating enough of it (barely 30g a day before tracking). I'm around 10-12% body fat already depending on what site calculations I look at which I think is about right I think?

Thanks in advance for any advice!

I'm in the UK if anyone has suggestions on where to buy what I need. Probably online as I live in West Cornwall so not many useful shops!

Replies

• sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    You need more weight. You can do goblet squats and split squats with dumbbells or kettlebells but you need enough weight to challenge your legs.

Minimum equipment also depends on your goals and program. If you want to do a 5x5 then you'll need a power cage, bench, bar, and plates.

Peruse programs on bodybuilding.com, look at dumbbell and kettlebell programs, body weight programs (TRX straps?), look at the books starting strength and strong curves, then put together a budget of what you can afford, and start from there.

Finally, I strongly suggest you buy used equipment if you can find it. You'll save money and it's easier to trade and sell it for what you paid for it as you progress and learn more about what you want.
  • call3na
    call3na Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have looked at various different programmes but many seem to need all the kit your mention in the 5*5. I like the idea and simplicity of that workout but I'll never be able to justify the money or space for all that kit.

Second hand would be great and I'll keep my eyes out for stuff, we live right on the end of the country though so opportunities tend to be limited (also why I don't go to the gym as it's 10 miles away in the nearest town).

I'll do some more reading around. I found a few I could modify but I'm apprehensive about doing that as a newbie! Shame that doing the 5*5 needs so much kit as it seems easy to follow!
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Powerblocks are great. They take up virtually no space, and when paired with a stand are really easy and quick to change over. I have the Urethane 90s which are the best ones IMO (and the most expensive). They are by far the best equipment in my box.

They start as low as $180 for a set that adjust from 3# to 24# each.

One thing to keep in mind is there are ways to increase strength and power without adding a ton of weight. I'll give an example using squats:

Say you are using 20 pound weights for your squats, and you're starting to easily get 10-12 reps, but you don't have anything heavier.

Try things like slowing your cadence. Instead of 2 seconds up and 3 down, try 8 seconds up and 12 down.

You can also increase your time spent at the bottom of the rep ("the hole"). Try staying there for 5 seconds and then power out of it. You will find by increasing the time under tension you can still challenge yourself without a ton of weight.

Also, you might want to consider adding bands to your workouts. They are portable, cheap, and awesome.

Good luck!
  • saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Cornwall; great for scenery but bad for life if you are under 60.
    Go onto Amazon and look for the books 'convict conditioning' or 'you are your own gym'. Both are body weight programmes that work fairly well for people looking to augment existing fitness regimes and require literally no equipment other than usual household items.
  • one1fast68
    one1fast68 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    @call3na - do you have something like a Total Gym or Weider Total Body Works available in the UK?
  • Mr_Stabbems
    Mr_Stabbems Posts: 4,771 Member
    Options
    myfitnesssuperstore offer finance? I'm sure others do too.

Fitness stuff is expensive but you build it up over time. Actual weights are fine to buy 2nd hand but I wouldn't touch a rack or bench or even bar 2nd hand, you just don't know how they've been treated.

as others have said there are plenty of body weight exercises you can do. You don't need a book in my opinion, all the info is available online somewhere.

If you are tight for cash and don't mind second hand risks you can always try ebay, lighter plastic weights (basic York type and a standard bar/bench. might set you back 50 quid?
  • ZRx4
    ZRx4 Posts: 158 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    B
  • jonthemusse
    jonthemusse Posts: 106 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You're good for push-ups without weights for some time. Get up to about ten clean ones, and ramp it up by lifting your legs. Once your legs are on a chair with ten clean ones, you need to start adding weight or get acrobatic (handstand push-ups, never got very far with those), try something silly like rocks stuffed into a tight jacket (been there). Waste of time to add weight before feet are off the ground and a form is decent for ten reps give or take. That's the bench taken care of for quite some time. Ugly, and expensive piece of equipment any given day.

That leaves squats and deadlifts. For a quick solution, and assuming something about correct weight range, thrusters with sacks of rice or spuds will get you going. 1 € for a kg and edible. Can't beat that.

For deads, load a strong suitcase, strap it up and lift. ROM issues are dealt with ingenuity and household items.

In the end, it comes downs to an Eleiko Olympic bar and a set of weight. But you can get stronger before that needs to happen. Unless you forego the weights thingie altogether and embrace body weight exercises. Cheap but understandably less motivational. There is nothing like a set of micro loading washers to measure strength gains. Only a barbell will get you safely and repeatably to 98 % of your maximum effort.

Edit. With a sumo stance and a kitchen scale, a strong suitcase makes a decent deadlift. Maybe not for 5x5 but surely for 10x5.