Healthy Alternatives to Salad Dressing

Options

Replies

• JollyHodgers87
    JollyHodgers87 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I know some may think this is gross. ..vut I really love pickle juice on salad!

Actually I would totally try that! I love pickle juice. I even use dill pollen sometimes in my cooking.
  • JollyHodgers87
    JollyHodgers87 Posts: 165 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Oh my goodness these all sound so delicious! I'm glad I started this post because I literally want to try most all of these. Kudos on the mustard/ honey mustard and the pickle juice suggestions. Two things I never thought of doing. And I have hummus to use up be fore it goes bad. Will try that one as well. Shoot. I eat so many salads on the norm anymore, I'll probably eventually get to trying all of these. You all have made me hungry!
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I almost never buy bottled salad dressing. I usually do one of the following:

Really good aged balsamic vinegar (some of the flavored ones are awesome! white balsamic is good, too), a bit of good olive oil (about 2:1 vinegar to oil), and salt and pepper

Red wine vinegar, olive oil (again about 2:1), and salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano

Equal parts dijon or whole grain mustard (or a mix of the two), apple cider vinegar, and olive oil, then a squeeze of honey, a squeeze of lemon, and salt and pepper.

Semi-homemade ranch (the Hidden Valley packet) except I mix it with ~5oz fat free greek yogurt, 8oz light sour cream, and ~3oz lowfat buttermilk. This is also really good mixed with salsa. I also sometimes add a little more of the yogurt or whatever and then throw in some fresh garlic, parsley, and/or chives, just to freshen it up a little. (For some reason I just love the packet, though!)

I also really like this recipe, except I reduce the mayo down to 1/2C (and use light mayo) and bump up the vinegar to 1/2C because I like it a lot thinner and a lot tangy-er than written, and I switch between red wine vinegar and apple cider vinegar - you can play with it. I sometimes use fresh garlic or change up the seasonings, also.
  • nixxthirteen
    nixxthirteen Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I don't buy dressings anymore, except maybe ranch for dipping.

Low fat caesar: 2 tbsp light mayo, 2 tbsp water, 2tbsp lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, sriracha, a bit of grated Parmesan and a tsp minced garlic. I chop up a whole romaine heart, add 100g of shredded chicken or cooked shrimp, and drizzle 2 tbsp of the dressing overtop. And more Parmesan.

Balsamic vinaigrette: olive oil, balsamic vinegar, a bit of honey, and salt. This is my absolute favourite :)
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I had a salad for lunch today that had a bunch of goat cheese....made me not need the dressing. I also love to squeeze a lime or lemon on my salad. For dressing I usually just make my own, but have been known to use bottled dressings too.

I read some where that fat can help in the digestion and absorption of nutrients in the veggies. I don't remember where and god knows if it is true, but a little fat in the salad keeps me full longer.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    sour cream and salsa together on a taco salad - amazing!
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    - Apple cider vinegar
    - Oregano
    - Salt
    - Pepper
    - Onion powder
    - Garlic powder

So good!
  • jessiferrrb
    jessiferrrb Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    https://lisaslentils.com/2011/10/17/appetite-for-reductions-green-goddess-garlic-dressing-submitted-by-guest-blogger-nancy-vanacore/

this dressing from appetite for reduction is amazing, actually, every dressing in that cook book is fantastic.
  • liftingladybug
    liftingladybug Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    BarbieAS wrote: »
    I almost never buy bottled salad dressing. I usually do one of the following:

Really good aged balsamic vinegar (some of the flavored ones are awesome! white balsamic is good, too), a bit of good olive oil (about 2:1 vinegar to oil), and salt and pepper

Red wine vinegar, olive oil (again about 2:1), and salt, pepper, garlic powder, and oregano

Equal parts dijon or whole grain mustard (or a mix of the two), apple cider vinegar, and olive oil, then a squeeze of honey, a squeeze of lemon, and salt and pepper.

Semi-homemade ranch (the Hidden Valley packet) except I mix it with ~5oz fat free greek yogurt, 8oz light sour cream, and ~3oz lowfat buttermilk. This is also really good mixed with salsa. I also sometimes add a little more of the yogurt or whatever and then throw in some fresh garlic, parsley, and/or chives, just to freshen it up a little. (For some reason I just love the packet, though!)

I also really like this recipe, except I reduce the mayo down to 1/2C (and use light mayo) and bump up the vinegar to 1/2C because I like it a lot thinner and a lot tangy-er than written, and I switch between red wine vinegar and apple cider vinegar - you can play with it. I sometimes use fresh garlic or change up the seasonings, also.

Thanks for the ideas!
  • sarababy5
    sarababy5 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just use lemon juice or have chunks of avocado in the salad
    This is exactly what I do!

• kaspatore
    kaspatore Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    a good option for vinegar in the salad dressing is using the brine from pepperocinis. Great for a greek salad dressing with some olive oil :)
  • CorneliusPhoton
    CorneliusPhoton Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I either use balsamic vinegar or some store-bought Bolthouse (a game-changer in my house!).
  • kirakinss
    kirakinss Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    A lighter hummus (35-60calories per 2 tbsp) mixed with some yogurt (Greek or plain non fat works). Add a little bit of water and it is perfecto!
  • mayoosh_primrose
    mayoosh_primrose Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I use Tahini "sesame butter" and it tastes really good :smiley:
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I always use Dijon mustard with red wine vinegar.
  • TamiSH2
    TamiSH2 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I use cottage cheese, it is a bit creamy and adds protein.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    We usually make dressing by mixing vinegar or lemon juice with olive oil, mustard (to emulsify) and spices.

Olives in a salad can work instead of dressing, they are so flavorful. Olives, feta, a little bit of olive oil would be amazing.

If I put tuna in a salad then just a drizzle of olive oil, squeeze a lemon over the salad, salt n pepper (or just pepper).

mmm.
  • ms_nomatterwhat
    ms_nomatterwhat Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @robininfl - yes! Olives work great! I'll have to try the lemon juice/oil though thanks!
  • 1992fx3
    1992fx3 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Large bottle of balsamic vinegar (16 oz range), add a packet of Good Season's salad dressing mix and shake it up. Fat free and almost calorie free.
  • turtle2hurdle
    turtle2hurdle Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    mrzpeep391 wrote: »
    My mom never used dressing she always used plain applesauce for past 30 years.

This was my go-to for dressing in college. SO good with spinach. I thought I was the only one who did this lol