Gaining for a curvy physique

Options
Hi everyone!

After months of hard work I hit my goal weight (145lbs at 5'8") but I have found that I've lost some of my curves (butt, bust etc) and I would like to work on gaining 10 lbs in a healthy way

I go to the gym and lift weights (not super heavy but I do many reps) but I have no idea how to eat and lift strategically to have a "curvier" body- I would really appreciate any advice!

Thank you!

Replies

• jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I think you should consider lifting heavy. Find a beginner's program and follow it. Good ones are Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength or New Rules for Lifting. If you're looking for butt-specific moves, you might also look at the Strong Curves program.

As far as diet, I would suggest eating at maintenance or perhaps a bit of a surplus if you want to add mass/curves.
  • focusandgo
    focusandgo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much I did a bit of research on "strong curves" and people seem to love it! I need that sort of structure - thank you for the suggestion!
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Don't be afraid to lift heavy! Many women are surprised how much they enjoy it.
  • ChampCrucial
    ChampCrucial Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I second that. Weight loss is like a balloon. You can fill it with oil/fat or water/muscle. As you lose some oil and can replace it with water. AS you know they don't mix though. Also look at nowloss.com he has a lot of exercises to add on top of a program you start following
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Strong Curves - I've definitely put some roundness onto a previously pancake-flat butt. The first 12 weeks emphasize form more than weight, but if you're already competent at squatting and deadlifting, go for the lower end of the suggested rep range (10-12) and higher weight instead of the semi-ridiculous 20 reps per set. If you're not comfortable and confident with those lifts, the higher reps at body weight/low weight are a good idea - you need proper form to keep progressing and avoid injury.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    You can definitely lift heavy - I would say that this is the best way to give you the body you want. Women lack testosterone, so you will not get "bulky" through heavy lifting. The muscle mass monsters are all on steroids AND years of training AND eating with a goal to gain mass. You will not accidentally become "huge"! That's like going to college and accidentally becoming a neurosurgeon.

I also suggest Strong Curves - a program with a planned progression is a good program (i.e. goal to increase X lift by Ylbs in Z time). And you can adjust it to beginner or intermediate lifter.
  • jasmang
    jasmang Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i agree with all of the above... lifting heavy is how you make your beautiful muscles grow!
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    I think it's dangerous to have the goal of gaining back 10lbs (or any amount). Instead, try maintaining while getting stronger.

(But then, my own motivation is health not appearance. I don't judge either way.)
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    This butt lifts over 220lbs. It seems easy now, and my sprinting is awesome! Strong Curves and a small calorie surplus will do it. No need to eat more than 100-120g protein. Get those carbs in.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I think it's dangerous to have the goal of gaining back 10lbs (or any amount). Instead, try maintaining while getting stronger.

(But then, my own motivation is health not appearance. I don't judge either way.)

Gaining muscle won't make you unhealthy. In fact, if anything, it will improve your health. More muscle = stronger body. More support for your body. Faster metabolism. And after your bulk, you cut any fat you gained.