I Am Where I Am

Options
After a mind-blowingly, poor showing my first week back at the gym last week, and Monday,
yesterday's workout was better. Or maybe I accepted that I've been really sick for a year and a half, and I had a long surgery 3 months ago. Today is rest day. I'm just going to walk and squat. Tomorrow is shoulders! Let's see if I can blow it out. I'm going to redefine what blow-out means. Any gain right now is great. Even if it's 1lb heavier. That was true when I started lifting 20 years ago, and it's true today. I'm just embarrassed, I guess. I didn't know where to put this, so I put it here. I could use support, because this is really hard. Trying to get well, hoping I get well. Kinda scared, but I still feel pumped. Moving forward in my life. Thank you to my husband for reminding me on Monday what the last 18 months have been like, and so putting everything in perspective.

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Just take it slow and steady -- after that long of a layoff it'll take quite a while to get back to your former level. Just keep reminding yourself that an injury is just going to delay things even more, so a small gain each day is going to win over going redline every time.
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Congratulate yourself on having the strong will and motivation to push for more than you may be capable of right now. You may have been physically out of the game for a while, but your mind is still strong and as soon as your body catches up, you'll be on fire! So many people have a hard time working up the motivation and courage to get back in it after a surgery or injury, so you're already on your way.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    You are back & that's what matters. Don't worry about a "blow out". Not necessary. "Small daily improvements are the key to staggering long term results.."Robin Sharma. I would encourage you to keep a journal or log during your rebuilding process so you can be reminded of your progress. Progress pics too! You got this!