Anyone else using HelloFresh?

Options
whulfc86
whulfc86 Posts: 10 Member
I have been using Hello Fresh for a few weeks now, it has stopped me eating out almost entirely at lunch and dinner.

The only issue I have is the calories. On some meals they seem rather high around 750 per person per meal. I am receiving the 2 person box/ 3 meals a week but I am sharing with my 6 year old. We can never eat everything provided for 1 meal, we often can get 3-4 meals out of it. I also don't cook with oil when suggested.

If anyone else is using HelloFresh, how are you recording your meals? Sometimes I just put I had 1/2 a portion, but I am thinking it might be more accurate to individually add calories, the meat/fish is usually labelled with the calories so it would just be calculating everything else.

Replies

• ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    Hey, my family has Hello Fresh delivered every week. As I'm pescetarian I only eat the fish dishes and have found it easier to just add everything individually as I like a bit of creative licence in the kitchen! I thought the meals were reasonable in size and calories but I am sure that I may actually be a hippo so...
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I don't use Hello Fresh but my understanding is that individual ingredients are delivered with a recipe. Can you just enter what you actually cook into the recipe building on MFP like you would with other recipes? That way you can calculate the total amount of food by weight and determine you serving sizes from there.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    puffbrat wrote: »
    I don't use Hello Fresh but my understanding is that individual ingredients are delivered with a recipe. Can you just enter what you actually cook into the recipe building on MFP like you would with other recipes? That way you can calculate the total amount of food by weight and determine you serving sizes from there.

This. And 700 calories isn't that high.
  • angelxsss
    angelxsss Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »

High is subjective. It depends on what her goal is. We're all different.

• randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    angelxsss wrote: »

No really? :noway:
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    angelxsss wrote: »

No really? :noway:

Really, if you're on a 1400kcal diet like most women dieters on here that consumes half her daily intake of calories, so yeah I'd say that was excessive for one meal.

I'm a lad eating around 3000kcal a day and its rare one of my meals will be around the 700kcal. Unless I'm super indulgent..
  • jbee27
    jbee27 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I use BlueApron, similar to Hello Fresh. As one of the posters above suggested, I take the three meals that week and input them into the recipe builder. You can decide how many servings you'll divide each food into and set that in the recipe builder.
  • BLifts38
    BLifts38 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    woah.... this is the first time I am hearing about this concept. can I just sign up for 1 box to try it out ? or do I have to get a monthly subscription?
  • HMarcks
    HMarcks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    BLifts38 I can email you a code for a free box (3meals for two people) if you want to try it.
  • CynoO
    CynoO Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I was looking at it and read some about it, is it only for 2 people and up or can it be for just one person ? and is monthly subscription ?
  • threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I use home chef and sun basket. I used to use plated but the calories and food portions were too much. Home chef weekly has at least 3 recipes to choos from that are calorie (400-600) and or carb conscious, amd most of the meals have been yummy successes! Sun basket has a few lower calorie options as well.
  • threesixten
    threesixten Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    BLifts38 wrote: »
    woah.... this is the first time I am hearing about this concept. can I just sign up for 1 box to try it out ? or do I have to get a monthly subscription?

Most of these companies have really great deals for first timers. I swear I could eat for free for a month+ if I signed up for them all (seems like there's a new one every month)
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    My sister in law gave me a box. It was for 2 meals. It consisted of 2 small portions of pork tenderloin, a lemon, 1 garlic clove, around 5 small potatoes, dimi glace, small zucchini and cilantro. The meal was okay with calories. For the price of the box, I can recreate the same meal. I see the benefits especially for someone cooking for one or two or someone who needs recipes. It just seems feasible to buy a tenderloin, cut into portions then freeze. The rest of the ingredients can be bought in same portions. Using the recipe card, you could recreate the same meal so much cheaper.

I agree with another poster. Best bet would be to create recipes per recipe card. You may be able to go to their website, find the recipe and use the recipe importer to keep from entering manually.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    No. They all seemed really expensive considering they still require that I do more work than I typically do cooking (larger batches) my own food.