Are races "easier"?

Options
I've run for 20+ years, never had any inclination to run a race. A friend recently told me that races are "easier" due to all of the adrenaline, support,distraction etc.

Thoughts?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I think it depends on the person. The social aspect, energy, and competition of races do make the runs feel easier to me. I also find it much easier to get motivated for my daily runs when I am training for a specific upcoming race. But these are individual factors -- I can imagine that for some people, the things that I find exciting and motivating are irrelevant.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    For me, the excitement and atmosphere of a race make me run faster. I don't know about easier, but it's a lot more fun to run 13.1 miles on race day than it is running a 13.1 training run all by myself.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I'd say it depends on how you view running races.

For me, I find them stressful! Probably because I am hoping for a new PR when I run, so I'm always nervous leading up to and the day of. I can't say I feel a lot of adrenaline, but maybe. The last race I ran, the weather wasn't great and it felt like torture trying to keep pace with my training. I must saying finishing feels wonderful.

I have friends that run races purely for the social/fun aspect. And for the beer at the end.

• AdrianChr92
    AdrianChr92 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Easier? Nah.

But you will be faster
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    I've always found races far, far easier than training. Back when I was more into running, the only thing that kept me slogging through training was looking forward to race day. Just watch out for the dreaded sprint-out-with-the-leaders-then-bonk syndrome -- a little race-day adrenaline is good...too much can be very, very bad.
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I think they are, but it depends on you. I generally draw more on internal motivation, but with running I used to be the chubby short girl that would outrun anyone next to me like I had something to prove. So my first half marathon there was no way I was going to stop running and there were people that (without their knowledge) I was determined to keep up with or beat. You are also getting cheered on by strangers and there are funny signs and people along the way. I end up smiling and just happy regardless of the pain or discomfort that running can bring.
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options
    I find them to be easier and faster. I'm highly competitive when it comes to sports so throw in some adrenaline and I'm just focused on passing the next person ahead of me. The full marathon I ran didn't feel anywhere near that long.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Sort of. A 5K, definitely. I'm really not a competitive person at all, but I usually run a little faster in a race and I feel a little less tired - so that's the adrenaline, probably, plus the novelty of the different-to-me-route keeps my mind busy and less focused on whether I'm tired or my feet hurt or whatever. And there's some mental prepwork in there, probably, in the picking up the packet, pinning on the number and getting my things together, getting up a little early and driving to the place, waiting for the start, etc.

But longer races, no. When I'm doing a 10K or a half marathon, I always struggle with "the wall" and then fight mental negativity for the rest of the run, culminating in a complete emotional breakdown at the finish and a vow never to run again because it sucks and racing sucks and that guy in a duck costume sucks and hills suck and I don't deserve this stupid medal because I suck... LOL! I usually feel like a bada$$ later that night or the next day. My runner's "high" is just delayed.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    i've been a runner for... less than seven weeks. I'm on week 7 of c25k; not sure when i became a "runner" but i've got the bug now.

This past weekend i ran in a 5k. There were a few hundred people. Folks were gathered along the sides to give us high-5s and cheer us on. There was a group handing out water, gatorade, and morale. I had my partner at my side the whole time as we pushed on.

As much as i like my solitary runs following the prompts of the c25k program, the vibe during that 5k was fantastic, and i'm already signed up for my next.
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Yes for me.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I've run for 20+ years, never had any inclination to run a race. A friend recently told me that races are "easier" due to all of the adrenaline, support,distraction etc.

Thoughts?

Totally depends on the person. It's a very individual thing. I've done a few half-marathons, but I would never call them "easier" than running around the neighborhood. :/
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    For me, yes.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    For me, no, but that's been true throughout my life; I lose technique in performance, and go slower in races, so have to train to be better than I want to be, in order to even do OK.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Faster, but not easier.

This weekend I PR'd my half marathon time in a race. I was pretty much toast for the rest of the day into the next couple of days. I run up to 14-16 miles for my long training runs, so I know it's not the distance. Running as fast as you can for 13 miles is not easy.

But it is fun to run races.
  • Bluepegasus
    Bluepegasus Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I agree, faster not necessarily easier, I've often got a PB in a race because running with a crowd of people sort of pulls you along. I love how fun races are. Seeing my husband and kids clapping and cheering near the finish line spurs me on too.
  • ROBOTFOOD
    ROBOTFOOD Posts: 5,527 Member
    Options
    Faster? Usually.
    Easier? No way. Definitely not when racing for the podium.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,570 Member
    Options
    I find them more difficult for two reasons:
    I'm a slow runner (some might say I have no talent for running) and I tend to start out at the speed of the rest of the participants, which is too fast for me. Not good!
    The start is somewhat sudden for me as I stand at the back of the mass of people. I simply prefer to go outside, take a breath and just go. This kind of starting is somewhat stressful for me.
  • yesimpson
    yesimpson Posts: 1,372 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Easier? Nah.

But you will be faster

Agreed.

Mentally I find them "easier" because on a 10 mile training run I may decide I'm bored/tired/hungry/it's going to rain around mile 8 and pack it in, but there is no way I'm walking or stopping during a race because of those factors. Not when there's spectators and the lure of a medal and a snack at the end.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Faster, more fun but harder.
  • piasuffredini
    piasuffredini Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Easier. I find I run at a faster pace without really trying.