"Starvation Mode" - cue eye roll

Options
capaul42
capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
So I've been here since January and so far have lost 27lbs. No issues that the forums haven't helped me solve, losing at a fairly steady rate of 1-1.5lbs a week.

I have been to see my Dr a few times since I started and my weight loss came up a few times. He was very supportive about the way I was doing things and all that. But at my last appt, to get my bloodwork results, it was brought up again. I had scheduled the bloodwork because it's been over 5yrs since I had a full panel and I am 41 and losing weight. I wanted to make sure all my levels were good in terms of ferritin and all that. (They are), and he said I shouldn't worry since I'm losing at a good rate, the right way but that I should be careful I don't go too much further (I have 20 more to go which we don't agree on) because my body might go into starvation mode.

I wanted to laugh. Really?! I guess even doctor's think it's a thing. Makes ya wonder what they teach them in medical school these days.

Replies

• cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    He must read these boards. They only get a few hours of nutrition and weight loss strategies in medical school. Most of the information is poor and out dated which is why so many people get crap information from their practitioners. I can speak from experience since I know we were not taught but maybe 1 hour's worth in PA school (and that's even a stretch).
  • aub6689
    aub6689 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    What people don't realize is that unfortunately doctors are not that well versed on nutrition. Doctors aren't even necessarily up to date on current medical science research. Many just follow recommendations put out by NIH or CDC. Many take a long time to change screenings or patient care with new recommendations. I work in research and while some physicians are involved in clinical research and really well versed on specific subject matter, this isn't true for all of them. Additionally very few people can be an expert on all things pertaining to the human body. You can be a good doctor and know very little about certain things and consult other doctors if something is out of your wheelhouse.

Additionally many people use "starvation mode" incorrectly when referring just to metabolism adjustment.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    I would like to know why all the people incarcerated in concentration camps in WWII did not go into starvation mode..................just wondering.

Consult a doctor that specializes in weight issues.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    I would like to know why all the people incarcerated in concentration camps in WWII did not go into starvation mode..................just wondering.

Ummmm
  • Tsartele
    Tsartele Posts: 683 Member
    Options

I've been to Auschwitz in Poland and I can tell you that those people were starving. I not really sure what you meant by your comment but those people were human skeletons.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options

I would like to know if they all gained a lot of weight if they survived. Did they become obese as their bodies defended against being starved ever again?

• SonicKrunch
    SonicKrunch Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    When I was 265 pounds I had doctors say "You are a healthy guy"...I mean I wasn't hurt or injured but how do you tell a 5'10 guy at 265 he's healthy. Thankfully I knew they were full of *kitten* and made the changes I needed(I was in the doctors for a Kidney Stone).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2430660/

Interesting study done on "Status of nutrition education in medical schools"

Results:

A total of 106 surveys were returned for a response rate of 84%. Ninety-nine of the 106 schools responding required some form of nutrition education; however, only 32 schools (30%) required a separate nutrition course. On average, students received 23.9 contact hours of nutrition instruction during medical school (range: 2–70 h). Only 40 schools required the minimum 25 h recommended by the National Academy of Sciences. Most instructors (88%) expressed the need for additional nutrition instruction at their institutions.

Conclusion:

With the move to a more integrated curriculum and problem-based learning at many medical schools, a substantial portion of the total nutrition instruction is occurring outside courses specifically dedicated to nutrition. The amount of nutrition education in medical schools remains inadequate.
    after my doctor told me to stop eating eggs to get my cholesterol under control I did some checking...talked doctors in the family etc.

teh 23.9 hours is high actually due to the fact it includes specialized training done by doctors going into nutrition...smh.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I'm lucky to have the forums here. This was actually my first post because any time I had a question, boom, there it was already being asked.

Just had to share the story because I really felt like a head smack was in order.

And for the record, I was in for regular checkups, nothing directly weight loss related unless you count my curiosity over the bloodwork (I've always had issues over iron/ferratin so I wanted to make sure things were still good). But our community is rather small so of course the subject comes up wherever I go.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    Options
    Tsartele wrote: »

I've been to Auschwitz in Poland and I can tell you that those people were starving. I not really sure what you meant by your comment but those people were human skeletons.

The "starvation mode" that's being referred to in this post is the myth that if you eat too little, you body magically holds onto fat, or that you gain weight.
    You're thinking of actual starvation, which is a different thing...
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »

I would like to know if they all gained a lot of weight if they survived. Did they become obese as their bodies defended against being starved ever again?

If I remember right, some died trying to eat normal again.
  • worldofalice
    worldofalice Posts: 148 Member
    Options

That's not what is meant by starvation mode. And as someone whose body has experienced a similar level of starvation to that, I can assure you that my body was clinging on to every once of fat it could and afterwards I gained weight incredibly quickly on a tiny amount of food. People misunderstand the concept of "starvation mode", but adaptive thermogenesis is a thing, and something that any dieter should be aware of.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    "Starvation mode" is not a "myth". If you do not give your body enough food for it to function (even at rest) it does go into "starvation mode" and starts feeding on itself. I have seen the results of this; have you seen an anorexic that looked healthy? Their muscles virtually go to mush, etc.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    How fatloss works (according to people believing in starvation mode):

2e3d3753303512422f01b24270dc4341.png
  • kaylajane11
    kaylajane11 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    "Starvation mode" is not a "myth". If you do not give your body enough food for it to function (even at rest) it does go into "starvation mode" and starts feeding on itself. I have seen the results of this; have you seen an anorexic that looked healthy? Their muscles virtually go to mush, etc.

That is not the definition of starvation mode as it is widely used by many trying to lose weight. Many people believe that they are not losing weight because they are eating too little and their body is somehow magically hanging onto fat to survive. Which, as mentioned above (and as you say), is easily disputed by pointing out actual starvation victims, such as Holocaust prisoners.
  • snowflake930
    Options
    [

Exactly my point. They were human skeletons.

The "starvation mode" that's being referred to in this post is the myth that if you eat too little, you body magically holds onto fat, or that you gain weight.

When does starvation mode become starvation? My point is if starvation mode is real, why didn't the people being starved in concentration camps go into "starvation mode" to hang onto their fat stores, if it is in fact, a real mode. They kept on losing weight. Some died of starvation. Some were murdered by their captors. Some survived this inhumane treatment, and were indeed human skeletons.

• snowflake930
    edited May 2016
    Options

Agreed, starvation mode is a myth. I am kind of being sarcastic, trying to point out the myth of "starvation mode". Countless of the innocent victims would have maybe survived if they "hung on to their fat reserves". Starvation mode is ludicrous.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    griffinca2 wrote: »

So then you agree people would lose weight. People commonly refer to "starvation mode" as there inability to lose weight. So as @snowflake930 says wouldn't people in starvation camps and anorexics then not lose weight if this "starvation mode" was a real thing?