Should i lose weight first or get muscles?

2»

Replies

• Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Out of interest, if you do weight training whilst in a deficit, do you gain strength or tone? I'd have thought that you would, even if it's not a question of increasing muscle mass.

If you are new to weight training it is very possible to gain strength whilst in a deficit. Not so much if you are not new to lifting. And its not possible to tone a muscle. Muscles look more "toned" with lower body fat. So you tone by cutting body fat. You can only grow muscle in a calorie surplus (unless you are in your first 6 months of lifting and then its possible to grow muscle and lose fat through recomposition). Hope this helps.

I generally agree with whats been posted so far except for this part. I ate at a modest deficit for nearly 2 years and gained strength (increased lift numbers) the entire time so I wasn't new to lifting especially by the end of my deficit. OP while it's surely more difficult to gain strength while in a deficit, it can most definitely be done even if you're not new to lifting. My vote definitely goes for both losing weight and lifting to retain as much muscle mass as possible while you lose.

Agreed...people tend to confuse building muscle with building stength.
    I went from a 90lb DL to a 225lb DL in 2 years...that's an increase in strength....

I may have built small amounts of muscle while eating at maintenance and lifting but never bothered to check.

OP to be frank...you are not that overweight...but I do suggest lifting if you want to lose weight...the aim is to lose fat and maintain as much muscle as possible.

Exactly my point. Hell of an increased DL @SezxyStef! I went from being a weight of 200 pounds and able to snatch 45 pounds to a weight of 135 pounds and able to snatch 140 pounds while eating at a deficit. Strength and physical muscle size are not that strongly correlated.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    Maybe I view this all wrong, but I just don't get the point of weight training if you're eating at a deficit. Sure, telling the body those muscles are important. I do some planks, squats, and throw a dumbell around a little to make everything burn a bit, but it seems pointless to spend time on it if there will be no muscle growth.

But this is uneducated me, for me I don't see much point in it when I have 100lbs of fat to drop before I will even see a hint of a muscle.

The point is to retain muscle instead of losing it along with the fat.

It is easier to retain muscle than to rebuild what has been lost.

As for you at this point it would be possible for you to build some muscle due to being new to lifting and having 100lbs to lose.
  • Keladelphia
    Keladelphia Posts: 820 Member
    edited May 2016
    Maybe I view this all wrong, but I just don't get the point of weight training if you're eating at a deficit. Sure, telling the body those muscles are important. I do some planks, squats, and throw a dumbell around a little to make everything burn a bit, but it seems pointless to spend time on it if there will be no muscle growth.

But this is uneducated me, for me I don't see much point in it when I have 100lbs of fat to drop before I will even see a hint of a muscle.

As for you at this point it would be possible for you to build some muscle due to being new to lifting and having 100lbs to lose.

All of this but even aesthetics aside, lifting weights and becoming stronger makes everything in life easier from taking out the trash and carrying in groceries to making other forms of exercise like cardio easier. To me strength to do things in everyday life is the best part of lifting.

E.T.A @brb_2013 I lost a significant amount of weight twice in my life (over 70 pounds). The first time I didn't lift at all and this time I lifted throughout my entire weight loss. Both times I ended up weighing 135#. I wish I had pictures of me at 135 without lifting and now having had lifted. I looked at least 25 pounds heavier then than I do now sitting at the exact same weight.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,994 Member
    You are still in your prime muscle building years. Don't waste them. LIFT!
  • J72FIT

+1
  • J72FIT
    All of this but even aesthetics aside, lifting weights and becoming stronger makes everything in life easier from taking out the trash and carrying in groceries to making other forms of exercise like cardio easier.

Indeed. Everything in life is better when you fit...
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member

All of this but even aesthetics aside, lifting weights and becoming stronger makes everything in life easier from taking out the trash and carrying in groceries to making other forms of exercise like cardio easier. To me strength to do things in everyday life is the best part of lifting.

E.T.A @brb_2013 I lost a significant amount of weight twice in my life (over 70 pounds). The first time I didn't lift at all and this time I lifted throughout my entire weight loss. Both times I ended up weighing 135#. I wish I had pictures of me at 135 without lifting and now having had lifted. I looked at least 25 pounds heavier then than I do now sitting at the exact same weight.

This might worknsqkoe4b28ks.jpg

And I agree just carrying groceries into the house is easier...I find it funny when the clerk says "I hope this isn't too heavy..."