Binging

Options
2»

Replies

• MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    That's great news! I've been concerned about you. I hope you start feeling better.
  • elaineously
    elaineously Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Be proud of yourself for staying strong and reaching out for help instead of letting the breakup send you into a binge. Keep your head up and remember to be kind to yourself.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    That's great news! I've been concerned about you. I hope you start feeling better.

Thank you for the concern, it is appreciated
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    If you want to distract yourself with food, try distracting yourself with something else. Give yourself permission to watch netflix for like two hours (with a pet is best). Get some raw vegetables if you want something mindless to eat while you're watching, and you can eat basically as much as you want. Tell yourself that at the end of this period, if you still want to binge, you can (assuming that by the end of this you won't.)
    I was under a lot stress in the beginning of last year and binged on vegetables when I was in the hospital. In the end, trying binging on "healthy foods"or diet sodas was just a crutch that encouraged me to keep on going.

I'll finish off that tub of raw broccoli florets and bag of spinach, eat four apples or whatever we have, and then go after everything else in the kitchen to finish off the day with at least 6k. Hey, I feel like crap, but at least it wasn't all "junk food".

I wish you the best, @elphie754
  • valrockks
    valrockks Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been there before and the aftermath was the worst thing you could imagine it took me months to straighten myself out again. And there are many days where I break down again and want to throw the towel and eat crap or drink like there's no tomorrow but I drive myself to the gym cry a little and kill my workout. It helps. Tough times don't last. Remember that.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    (((Hugs)))) I hope things work out for the best, OP. Hang in there
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    You have to find ways to deal with the emotions, instead of distracting away from them.

This.

You reached out here, so maybe try to call up a friend who can help talk you through it. A good talk over tea and a human connection is a great place to start.

Ask why you want to turn to food or alcohol instead of working through the issue. You need to find the root cause and understand your triggers so you don't spiral out of control.

Usually I can avoid triggers but today has just been so messed up, it's hard to see the bigger picture.
    mommazach wrote: »
    Take a walk. Get out of the house, or sources of stress. I generally eat when I am bored, so I find other things to occupy me. Find a video to work out to. Write down reasons you are struggling so you can look back at your journey through it all. Best of luck to you.

I know the reason I'm struggling today-I broke off the engagement with my fiancé.

I am going to try and get out of the house and find and AA meeting of there's one being held tonight nearby.

That's such a good idea!
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    Afura wrote: »
    You have to find ways to deal with the emotions, instead of distracting away from them.
    I don't agree with this. Sometimes it's not a matter of dealing with a single emotion, or not a specific emotion. Sometimes you just want say bleep it, and have a few beers (or rum and coke for me) to relax, tune out the world whatever. I find distracting myself away from the bad things is a better turn for me. Play a video game, read a book, go for a drive. When I'm at home I tend to be able to snap myself out of it by bringing up MFP and looking at the calories I have left.

Edit: If it's a continual ongoing issue, absolutely dealing with the problem is the best thing. The above was a 'now and again' thing.

This isn't a "now and again" thing for a recovering addict, it's important as anything else to deal with the emotions causing one to want to return to an addiction. I'm glad ignoring your problems and hiding in games works for you, but it's not an actual solution to emotional distress.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Figure out your triggers. For me, sweets are a trigger. One Oreo can quickly turn into half the bag. So I avoid the things that I know will trigger me to overeat. At my sister's birthday party, I asked my mom to cut me the smallest slice she could and bring it to me in another room so I wouldn't be tempted. If I want a snack, I go to the kitchen, pre-measure it out into a bowl, and put the food away. Only the bowl goes with me to the den so that I don't overdo it.

I also use MealEnders lozenges. They give me a short, sweet burst, then a longer-lasting lozenge. By the time I'm done, the urge to binge has passed. They kind of cleanse the palate and make you feel full. They've really helped me to get it under control.

• kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

This.

You reached out here, so maybe try to call up a friend who can help talk you through it. A good talk over tea and a human connection is a great place to start.

Ask why you want to turn to food or alcohol instead of working through the issue. You need to find the root cause and understand your triggers so you don't spiral out of control.

Usually I can avoid triggers but today has just been so messed up, it's hard to see the bigger picture.
    mommazach wrote: »
    Take a walk. Get out of the house, or sources of stress. I generally eat when I am bored, so I find other things to occupy me. Find a video to work out to. Write down reasons you are struggling so you can look back at your journey through it all. Best of luck to you.

I know the reason I'm struggling today-I broke off the engagement with my fiancé.

I am going to try and get out of the house and find and AA meeting of there's one being held tonight nearby.

I'm an emotional eater, too. Call a friend or go for a workout of whatever kind you like. The workout will let you burn off some stress and frustration. Hang in there. You did the right thing by reaching out here on the forums. You can do this!
  • Redwineandmuscles
    Redwineandmuscles Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with this. Sometimes it's not a matter of dealing with a single emotion, or not a specific emotion. Sometimes you just want say bleep it, and have a few beers (or rum and coke for me) to relax, tune out the world whatever. I find distracting myself away from the bad things is a better turn for me. Play a video game, read a book, go for a drive. When I'm at home I tend to be able to snap myself out of it by bringing up MFP and looking at the calories I have left.

Edit: If it's a continual ongoing issue, absolutely dealing with the problem is the best thing. The above was a 'now and again' thing.

It's different for alcoholics. Some people can't have a few drinks and stop, it spirals out of control. The last thing an alcoholic needs to hear is permission to go have a few drinks when they're feeling weak. I was able to get sober for a few years and then went through a hard time. Friends who didn't know I had an alcohol problem kept trying to get me to have a few drinks to relax. I finally gave in and then went on a two year bender. I had to go back to rehab as I can't stop one I start. It wasn't my friend's fault, and I'm not saying that elphie is in the same position, but in case she is, it's terrible advice so give someone who is goes to AA. I'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful as you may not know too much about alcoholism. Sometimes, if an alcoholic is feeling down, that external suggestion is enough of a validation to go ahead and drink. I know it's not rational but neither is alcoholism.

It's different for alcoholics. Some people can't have a few drinks and stop, it spirals out of control. The last thing an alcoholic needs to hear is permission to go have a few drinks when they're feeling weak. I was able to get sober for a few years and then went through a hard time. Friends who didn't know I had an alcohol problem kept trying to get me to have a few drinks to relax. I finally gave in and then went on a two year bender. I had to go back to rehab as I can't stop one I start. It wasn't my friend's fault, and I'm not saying that elphie is in the same position, but in case she is, it's terrible advice so give someone who is goes to AA. I'm not trying to be rude or disrespectful as you may not know too much about alcoholism. Sometimes, if an alcoholic is feeling down, that external suggestion is enough of a validation to go ahead and drink. I know it's not rational but neither is alcoholism.

I just wanted to suggest here that one can research the Sinclair Method or pharmaceutical extinction, since you mentioned nalproxine. This is not a suitable treatment for someone who is sober, but I just wanted to throw it out there in case anyone reading this is looking for alternative and effective treatment.
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I just wanted to suggest here that one can research the Sinclair Method or pharmaceutical extinction, since you mentioned nalproxine. This is not a suitable treatment for someone who is sober, but I just wanted to throw it out there in case anyone reading this is looking for alternative and effective treatment.

Wow - I can't believe you resurrected a necrothread to disagree with my advice. I have no idea what nalproxine is, not so obviously I didn't recommend that. I recommended Vivitrol which naltrexone, and it's perfectly fine to use in sobriety if you are having issues with cravings and may relapse. Yes, this is perfectly acceptable advice for somebody that is sober.

Regarding the method you recommended, many addicts are in the position that they cannot control their consumption once the begin using. A method that requires somebody to take naltrexone before each drinking session seems counter productive, as getting free from addiction is really more about resolving the underlying issues motivating use, not so much about just stopping use. This method seems like it's giving the use a free pass to drink reply and also not deal with the underlying issues, so essentially they remain stagnant and don't progress forward as a human and as a person in recovery. Honestly, that sound like a special level of hell to me.

As somebody who struggled for seven years to break the addiction cycle, I can honestly say if you drink enough, you can break the through the block that the naltrexone pill imposes - so it's totally possible to "cheat" the method. I did it countless times when trying to quit. Vivitrol is more difficult to cheat, but still possible.

Naltrexone is perfectly safe to give to somebody who is sober. There are many uses for naltrexone outside of drug addiction. Vivitrol does stop cravings in sobriety, I have gotten the shot as insurance during difficult times.
    While Sinclair method may be effective for people in early stage alcoholism, but not middle or late stage alcoholism. There are many other resources available that much more wholistic and rational than Sinclair - a great alternative to 12 step programs is Smart Recovery. Unfortunately, recovering from addiction requires dedication and hard work to fix the underlying issues responsible for addiction, it's not a simple as just popping a pill. If addiction we just about stopping drug/alcohol use people wouldn't struggle and relapse as much as they do.

Last thing I'll say is you do realize you recommended the the OP, who has struggled with addiction and got sober, give in to her cravings and use - that's very irresponsible advice.

• alittlelife14
    alittlelife14 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Add me