Looking for friends who have struggled in the past with an eating disorder

Options
emmylootwo
emmylootwo Posts: 172 Member
Hi everyone. I'm looking for a few friends to add, preferably those who have recovered or are in recovery for bulimia, binge eating, and other eating disorders. Or even friends who can sympathize. May seem like a weird request, but I want to know my friends have been where I have. I struggled with bulimia nervosa for several years, and while I stopped purging a couple years ago, I continued to struggle with binge-eating. Lots of stress, depression, anxiety and I've gained back a very unhealthy amount of weight. I do NOT want to end up where I was again, but I do want to get healthy. (My goal weight is actually 170-175 pounds; which is "technically overweight" according to that *kitten* BMI scale... But that's where I first remember being in recovery and not hating myself.)

I had some bad MFP friend experiences the last time I was on here. No, I didn't join an ED community. I had just regular friends from the boards, who did not understand what I was going through in the least. Just one example out of many: My family went on vacation, and I was sharing a piece of cake (the first piece of cake I had had in a year) with my mom. I was feeling good, proud that I was allowing myself a treat in moderation, so I posted to MFP to share my good feelings. I immediately got back a response from a lady asking if I /really/ needed that cake and telling me to put the fork down before I ruined my day. I started crying right at the dinner table and restricted calories the rest of my vacation because of her triggering response -- which, I know might not seem that bad to people with thicker skin and healthy minds.

The point is: I do not want friends who will make me cry and make me feel like I'm terrible the way that some of my old friends did. I beat myself up enough as it is. If anybody is willing, please send me a request. Or let me know if it's okay to send you one.

Thank you!!!

Replies

• shaq2013
    shaq2013 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hello emmylootwo, I am with you on this. Have been trying for a long time to lose weight but I am an emotional eater and with stresses in life, scale is just going up. Lets keep each other motivated :smile:
  • RoseHC
    RoseHC Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi there! It sounds as though we share a similar story in terms of bulimia recovery and weight gain. I too have gained an unhealthy amount since quitting purging and the number on the scale just keeps going up. I want to return to the weight I had when I was happiest, before all of this began. Perhaps we could motivate one another with positivity to reach our goals.
  • jen_bush
    jen_bush Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I have... I was suffering from anorexia for 4 years. Feel free to add me, always nice to be with people who share your struggles and get how hard it can get xx