Stronglifts question

Wombat468
Wombat468 Posts: 191 Member
I'm an apple shape, and have quite broad shoulders. I've noticed them getting a bit broader since I started stronglifts, and I'd rather that didn't happen. Should I:

1) only do limited weight on ohp and bp, like 20kg (I'm currently at 25kg), or

2) keep increasing the weight but only do ohp and bp once weekly?

Thanks!

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    it this based on measurements or visual?

It is hard for women to "bulk" with weights.

I wouldn't suggest either...I would follow the program as it's designed.

I have "broad" shoulders for a women as well but never noticed "bulk"...what I did notice was more defined muscles as I lost the weight.
  • Wombat468
    Just visual. I think I must put on muscle faster than other women though - I already have impressive biceps even in a deficit.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    I would stick to the program with the prescribed weight increases. Sooner or later you will begin to plateau (in terms of additional weight on the bar) but it is important for all the stabilizer muscles recruited in these moves that you continue to do them.

I guess the issue is that you're not keen on the aesthetics that SL is giving you - that is a personal thing but it is worth pointing out that it is likely that any well designed and progressive lifting program will have the same effect and, in my experience, peoples dislikes and/or hang ups about specific areas of their bodies are not usually recognised or validated by others.

In other words - lift the weights and rock the big shoulders look!
  • Wombat468
    I would stick to the program with the prescribed weight increases. Sooner or later you will begin to plateau (in terms of additional weight on the bar) but it is important for all the stabilizer muscles recruited in these moves that you continue to do them.

I guess the issue is that you're not keen on the aesthetics that SL is giving you - that is a personal thing but it is worth pointing out that it is likely that any well designed and progressive lifting program will have the same effect and, in my experience, peoples dislikes and/or hang ups about specific areas of their bodies are not usually recognised or validated by others.

In other words - lift the weights and rock the big shoulders look!

Haha, okay thanks - will try! Cheers, both of you.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member
    CiaraCatch wrote: »
    I'm an apple shape, and have quite broad shoulders. I've noticed them getting a bit broader since I started stronglifts, and I'd rather that didn't happen. Should I:

Thanks!

Why are you doing SL? What is the goal?
  • SezxyStef
    Just visual. I think I must put on muscle faster than other women though - I already have impressive biceps even in a deficit.

what is happening is that you are uncovering the muscle already there.

It is very difficult for people in a deficit to gain muscle. There are exceptions to that rule however but I suspect this is not the case for you.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Follow the program. It's probably in your head, if you are putting on that much muscle mass doing 25kg presses body builders around the world will be SWAT kicking down your door shortly for tips.
  • Wombat468
    aggelikik wrote: »

Thanks!

My goal is to retain muscle while losing weight, and also to balance out my top heaviness by building up my thighs/bum.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Your arms and shoulders feel and possibly look a bit bigger due to water retention in the muscles. Then the layer of fat over them makes them look even bigger. Definitely keep lifting normally, following the full program, whatever program you're doing.
  • Wombat468
    jemhh wrote: »
    Your arms and shoulders feel and possibly look a bit bigger due to water retention in the muscles. Then the layer of fat over them makes them look even bigger. Definitely keep lifting normally, following the full program, whatever program you're doing.

Okay, will do - thanks!
  • clarkeje1
    clarkeje1 Posts: 1,640 Member
    I feel like I'm having that problem too, my arms have been looking bigger to me since I've started lifting. I'm hoping that once I lose more weight I will have the aesthetics I want :)
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,178 Member

Thanks!

My goal is to retain muscle while losing weight, and also to balance out my top heaviness by building up my thighs/bum.

Stronglifts is a strength program, not a program designed to help build your thighs and bottom.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member

Thanks!

Stronglifts is a strength program, not a program designed to help build your thighs and bottom.

SL is a good foundation for fitness. It can help you find your strength as well as muscle. The training is compound lifts that hit more muscles in less time. I would continue to run SL. You can stimulate muscle and gain your max strength.

If you have the energy, you may want to add various lunges, step-ups, squats with heavy weights to stimulate leg muscle since that is your goal.

You may want to try Strong Curves after SL. I think SL ingrains fundamentals of weight training that can be beneficial for your next program. Strong Curves (or any other program) can be easier to adjust to your fitness level after SL. Form follows function.

• Wombat468

Thanks!

Okay. Is there a program I'd be better following? I thought weighted squats were good for that?

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member

Okay. Is there a program I'd be better following? I thought weighted squats were good for that?
    Weighted squats are only so-so for glutes and hamstrings. They're good for the quads. Other exercises (deadlifts, weighted hip thrusts) activate the posterior chain better than squats.

As @rileyes mentioned, Strong Curves is more targeted at the posterior chain. Although I also agree with her that it's a good idea to have a solid full-body foundation before you do targeted training. Imbalances lead to injury.
  • SezxyStef

Thanks!

no...SL is a great program as it has DL's incorporated along with Squats.

The one thing people comment on to me the most is my legs and how lean and hard they are..all from DLs and weighted squats.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member

Thanks!

I agree that SL is a strength program especially suited to beginners. But, the foundations of most (probably all) barbell exercise programs, whatever their gaol, is strength and good technique. I still think is is a sensible approach for someone whose ultimate goal may be hypertrophy, to start with stronglifts, get the moves right, gain strength, and then progress on to a more specific hypertrophy program. And, in my opinion, their progress would be better than those who chose to go straight to hypertorphy.