Is there any way to gain muscle and burn fat?

Options
My brother went to marine boot camp and I told him I would be bigger when I saw him next. I see him in about a month is there a way to burn fat while bulking?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Technically, you can build very small amounts of muscle while losing fat (during recomp) but that will take a very long time and isn't very effective. You either bulk to add muscle or cut to lose fat.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    If you are a total novice, yes you can gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously. But that tapers off and you usually have to choose one then the other (i.e. cut and bulk cycles).

Though there have been times when I started a cut after a bulk, got down 10lbs, and all my friends commented on how much "bigger" I was even though I lost weight. I looked more muscular even though I was lighter than before - less fat per muscle ratio I suppose.

For you, 1 month is not enough for serious results. 6 - 12 months, depending on your age, current stats, program, etc. If you are a beginner, pick a beginner lifting program (i.e. starting strength or strong lift) and slow bulk (TDEE+250 calories) or bulk (TDEE+500 calories). Cheers
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    Don't do the recomp unless you are around where you want to be to maintain your weight and current muscle mass. You can do both during this process but it is painfully slow. No hurry, no problem...

But this does take being a novice or at least requires precision in your diet and a progressive lifting program. It is slow slow slow.. If you never lifted before, newbie gainz are awesome but the taper off quickly..

Even if you bulk now for 1 month, you will not gain very much to be noticeable.

Do bulk and cut cycles, Give you self 8-12 months..
  • KAZOGLOVER
    KAZOGLOVER Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    If you are a total novice, yes you can gain muscle and lose fat simultaneously. But that tapers off and you usually have to choose one then the other (i.e. cut and bulk cycles).

Though there have been times when I started a cut after a bulk, got down 10lbs, and all my friends commented on how much "bigger" I was even though I lost weight. I looked more muscular even though I was lighter than before - less fat per muscle ratio I suppose.

For you, 1 month is not enough for serious results. 6 - 12 months, depending on your age, current stats, program, etc. If you are a beginner, pick a beginner lifting program (i.e. starting strength or strong lift) and slow bulk (TDEE+250 calories) or bulk (TDEE+500 calories). Cheers
    I just did about a 7 month cut and dropped 50 lbs. So I should do a bulk for the same amount of time correct?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Do you know your body fat or can you see abs?
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    KAZOGLOVER wrote: »

I just did about a 7 month cut and dropped 50 lbs. So I should do a bulk for the same amount of time correct?

What is your body fat % and muscle looking like? Where would you say you are on this chart? And what are your stats? I need Age, Height, Weight, estimated bodyfat %, your lifts (squat, bench, deadlift) if you do them, how long you have been training for, etc.