Sugar Free

So we are doing a 10 day sugar free challenge at work. I am doing pretty good I think but wondering if anyone has any advice or recipes to share. I am most likely going to continue this after the 10 days are up. I think the hardest part is we get so used to packaged foods and learning to cook all over with whole foods. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Replies

• Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Check out paleo/primal recipes. Like if you want to make a dessert, just search for paleo dessert. They restrict more than sugar, but it'll help you find stuff.

I like everything wellness mama has posted. Nom nom paleo is good too.
  • snowbune27
    snowbune27 Posts: 75 Member
    I have found that the problem with trying to find sugar supplements (or rather, something to tame my sweet tooth, in place of sugar) is it just perpetuates the craving and keeps my body JUST BARELY having enough instead of making the craving go away. I end of binging at some point. Maybe better to try cold turkey? will take about a week to get rid of the craving (I know, almost your whole challenge), but then after that you won't miss it... and you can avoid sugar for YOU, not for the office challenge.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    When you say sugar free, do you meant from fruits and veg too?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Assuming you mean no added sugar, I actually think it's pretty simple if you cook from scratch. I don't add sugar to most savory dishes, after all. Roasted chicken, potatoes, green beans. Salmon, lentils, asparagus. Pork chops with sauteed apples and spinach, brussels sprouts, and maybe some winter squash. Pasta with a sauce made up of olive oil, shrimp, and whatever vegetables are on hand and seem tasty. So on.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Assuming you mean no added sugar, I actually think it's pretty simple if you cook from scratch. I don't add sugar to most savory dishes, after all. Roasted chicken, potatoes, green beans. Salmon, lentils, asparagus. Pork chops with sauteed apples and spinach, brussels sprouts, and maybe some winter squash. Pasta with a sauce made up of olive oil, shrimp, and whatever vegetables are on hand and seem tasty. So on.

That's what I was wondering, too. Added sugar or ALL sugar? I don't think you can avoid ALL sugar--fruits and even some vegetables have natural sugar in them. So does milk. But added sugar can be easily avoided if you cook at home.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    I am not convinced that sugar expanded my waistline. It was just eating too much of everything..

I cook at home every day now, but I won't stop eating my favorite snacks when I have room for them in my calorie allotment! I will say I gave up sugar added drinks a long long time ago..
  • jakkrk
    jakkrk Posts: 54 Member
    When you say sugar free, do you meant from fruits and veg too?

Wondering the same. Sugar free and no added sugar are 2 very different things.