How does salt effect you now..

Options
I made the mistake of eating KFC last night with my fiance. A couple of reasons why one I forgot how salty they are and two the water weight gain from eating them. Ever since I been improving my eating habits, trying not to eat fast food like I used to before. I have notice that my body no longer likes it as before... now it makes my stomach ill and I wind up worshiping the toilet gods. However this is the first time I have seen my body bloat like crazy from the salt... Anyone else notice this effect?

Replies

• Seefylol
    Seefylol Posts: 197
    Options
    Just drink more water and the bloating will go down, simple :) Water is great for flushing out salt/and or toxins in the body. I go through about 4-5 litres a day but that's because I'm taking Creatine also, which makes me quite thirsty.
  • Cindyinpg
    Cindyinpg Posts: 3,902 Member
    Options
    Thank goodness, I am not affected much by salt, as my intake is always high. However, ever since I've starting eating heathier, if I have something greasy, like KFC, A&W or McDonalds, I get downright ill. Stomach cramps, diarrhea, blah. :sick: Are you sure it was the salt and not the fat?
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    I swell up like crazy these days after eating any fast food,.. i usually put on 3-5 lbs too lol.
  • griffith5150
    griffith5150 Posts: 123
    Options
    Thank goodness, I am not affected much by salt, as my intake is always high. However, ever since I've starting eating heathier, if I have something greasy, like KFC, A&W or McDonalds, I get downright ill. Stomach cramps, diarrhea, blah. :sick: Are you sure it was the salt and not the fat?

Not sure what cause me to bloat, just notice I was hovering between 204/205 yesterday and today I am around 207/208, feel bloated and having cramps and diarrhea. Never again...
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    If I get overloaded with sodium, I get symptoms as if I were trying to pass a kidney stone. The last time, it was so bad I was essentially bed-ridden for 2 days and it was another 2 days after that before the pain was gone.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I have been craving salty pretzels this week, and eating them. No bloat, no weight gain. I think it has something to do with the heat, working out (losing salt), and the fact that I have low BP. I had a doctor tell me to make sure I kept my salt levels up. I thought this was weird back when he said this, but now, knowing about my low BP and watching what I eat, it seems to work for me.
  • griffith5150
    griffith5150 Posts: 123
    Options
    I have been craving salty pretzels this week, and eating them. No bloat, no weight gain. I think it has something to do with the heat, working out (losing salt), and the fact that I have low BP. I had a doctor tell me to make sure I kept my salt levels up. I thought this was weird back when he said this, but now, knowing about my low BP and watching what I eat, it seems to work for me.

See I haven't had an issues with pretzels so it really makes me wonder ifs the way fast food is... fatty and salty. Plain ol unhealthy.
  • RobP1192
    RobP1192 Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    My sodium levels are usually always ridiculously high. For me, it's too hard to avoid in a practical manner. So i just drink water constantly and try to keep my potassium levels high. I don't know if it helps or not. I'm sure i'm carrying more water weight than i need to.
  • sarahelizabeth2276
    sarahelizabeth2276 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Salt and I are very often at odds! I have very very low sodium levels and have to actually take medicine that keeps salt (and potassium/magnesium) in my blood. I drink 120-180 fl. oz. of water a day, which is a bit much, but I find it helps with the bloating. My doctor also recommends I put extra salt on all my food and eat sodium enriched foods. Isn't amazing how different everyone's bodies are?
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options

See I haven't had an issues with pretzels so it really makes me wonder ifs the way fast food is... fatty and salty. Plain ol unhealthy.
    Yeah, you could have a point there. I was thinking strictly salty, but whenever we get pizza, I'm super thirsty afterwards. Like, I can't get enough water and my stomach is full of water, and I'm stuffed but still thirsty!