Help me lose weight

Options
I'm currently looking to lose 30-40 pounds in 6 months... I count my calories and exercise regularly now. No matter what I do, I seem to be stuck at 188.6. Am I doing something wrong now? I need to lose weight quickly, but I want to stay healthy. Any advice will help

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal? Are you weighing all solid foods and avoiding generic/homemade database entries?
  • kittehkitteh88
    kittehkitteh88 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Weigh everything you eat! I found out the hard way that what i thought was about 30grams of cheese was more like 100grams! :open_mouth:
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    First, get rid of the deadline. It's a recipe for failure. Just do your best. Weight didn't come on quickly, it won't come off that way either.
    How long have you already been going - how long have you been stuck? It takes a while for things to move.
    Weigh every solid, measure every liquid.
    Only eat back half of your exercise calories.
    Take measurements and progress pics. When you stall, look at those. Just because the number isn't moving, doesn't mean things aren't changing.
    Go through the boards. Many before you have had these questions and many more will still. The advice is always the same.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I find I'll lose steadily for a bit (about .2-.4 pounds a day) for a few days, then hit a stall, then it picks back up again. And remember, the scale number isn't everything. I've lost 18 pounds as of today, but everyone tells me it looks like I've lost more than that. I've been doing strength training and am just starting to get into running. Strength training will help you maintain or possibly increase muscle mass. A pound of muscle takes up a lot less space than a pound of fat, so even when the scale doesn't move, I've still burned fat and maintained or slightly increased by muscle mass. That means that at the same weight, I can still look thinner since that muscle takes up less space than the same weight in fat does.

It's very normal to have fluctuations and stalls. That's why non-scale victories (NSVs) are so important. And ashliefisch is right--get rid of the deadline. That's probably putting extra stress on you, and stress makes weight loss more difficult. Just concentrate on eating within your calories and exercising. It will come off slowly. Hang in there!