Exercise beyond the gym

Options
cesser1
cesser1 Posts: 63 Member
I am still very much at the beginning of my journey and am currently sorting out what my fitness life should look like for the next few months. I am on weight loss and fitness gain and I really don't do well with gyms or running. My first activities are Nordic walking, swimming, and tennis. I hope to get something like body combat, boxercise or boxing proper into the schedule once I am fit enough. What else is out there, and what do you think is the best resistance training outside of the gym? And would you have any tips for me on what to do or avoid? Thank you!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I use the gym for lifting weights only...if you don't want to lift in the gym, a body weight program supplemented with some band work would probably be your best option for resistance training.

I primarily cycle for my cardiovascular work. I also do a little hiking when opportunity allows and some swimming, but getting to a pool and getting a lane can be a PITA.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Consider TRX suspension training. Can get one for home. Lots of options to progress from beginner to advanced. I would recommend some professional training on it to learn form.
  • cesser1
    Options
    Thank you for the examples thus far. I'll look into those. But what about the kind of sports that we used to do before gyms were a thing? Does anyone still drag carts or throw logs or something slightly more conventional? Or what kind of team sports are good for getting into shape and losing weight?
  • tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,715 Member
    Options
    cesser1 wrote: »
    Thank you for the examples thus far. I'll look into those. But what about the kind of sports that we used to do before gyms were a thing? Does anyone still drag carts or throw logs or something slightly more conventional? Or what kind of team sports are good for getting into shape and losing weight?

I think this depends on what is available and popular in your area. Are there organized basketball or baseball or golf leagues? Is that kind of what you were thinking? There are also things like frisbee golf, adult kick-ball, hockey, indoor or outdoor rock climbing walls, etc.
  • jpena412
    jpena412 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily resistance training, but I found it to be very helpful building up my library of various exercise DVDs. On days that I really don't feel like running and I don't want to lift since I did the day before, I'll pop in a video to get my sweat on. A few I've found helpful at T25, Insanity and 30 Day Shred. I'm actually looking to purchase some more just to give more options for switching up the workout.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Enjoy the Tony Horton products by Beachbody.
    Currently doing the new version of P90 noticed a lot of changes in the past year or so.
    There's a lot of flexibility in the program as far as modifying a lot of the moves. just to give you a little background I've had a double hip replacement and an arthritic knee that needs replacement too.
    Played golf with my daughter a couple weeks ago and she couldn't believe how much flexibility and Mobility I had cuz she seen me when I was really bad. Best comment she said
    Geeze!!!!!!!! you can actually pick up the ball.

• STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    Re-read your post swimming is a great resistance exercise. You work every muscle in ways you never realize with different swimming moves and you won't get any joint damage
  • hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    cesser1 wrote: »

Crossfit is currently the trendy thing for a lot of that (tractor tire flipping, prowler pushing as well as plenty of weight training). Strongman contests and training are out there, but quite a bit more niche-y. Just about any team sport that involves a large proportion of running / swimming / skating (soccer, ultimate frisbee, basketball, water polo, hockey, eg among many) is going to force you to up your game. All depends on what floats your boat and what's available in your area.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    Get better at your sport. Don't just play. Go to YouTube and look for techniques to get better. Or get a personal coach.

I like a variety of circuit, barbell and Plyometrics training to help my endurance and power in tennis.

Outside of my gym I may run or play in team sports.

In my gym training sessions I may superset jumps and throws and sprints with barbell lifting. I have found my tennis matches to have a lot of jumps and sprints with a variety of throwing movements so I don't find it necessary nor, perhaps, beneficial to add an extra session of lifting and Plyometrics on the same day.
  • cesser1
    Options
    Thank you all. Some really good suggestions. And quite a few things for me to look up.