Weight Lifting & Surfing Question!!

Options
Hello!

In August (t-minus 3 months) I am planning a trip to Costa Rica. I am less worried about how I look in a bikini and more interested in learning how to surf. I am not a weight-lifter, but I have been incorporating free-weights and kettle balls into my workouts recently.

My question is -- I need to make sure I have the muscles to surf! Any surfers out there that can give advice on good exercises or muscle groups to focus on so I can make the most of my trip?

Currently, my workouts include swimming 2-3x/week, hiking, abs, and kettle swings. Nothing too intense or crazy. But, I have access to a full gym so anything is open.

Thanks in advance!!!

Replies

• rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    I would get on a board and paddle, paddle, paddle. And maybe add burpees to your core work.
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Squats and balance practice.
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    Balance squats. As said above burpees. The best thing you can do is paddle. I tried surfing while in the Military. I was in good shape then, and it was exhausting. By far different then anything I had tried before.
  • kcjchang
    kcjchang Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    Work on your lower back, upper back shoulder, and neck muscles. You'll be arching your back getting in and out of the surf as the peddling techniques is a bit different than regular swim because of the board. Balance will come when you can catch the wave. Unless you are using boggie boards, you wouldn't be using your legs much except when riding the wave or righting yourself after being swallowed by the wave. Bring a boggie board to the gym and propel yourself across the pool without your legs except for navigation.

For best results (balance and technique) pay for the lesson, use their beginner long board, and let the instructor push you on to the wave. Once you have a feel how to get on the board and ride it, the above prep will let you get out to the surf zone.
  • betuel75
    betuel75 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    i surf. You use back and shoulders. Its all cardio so make sure your cardio is good. Use the rowing machine at the gym. it works both shoulders and is cardio.
  • barefootbeauty
    barefootbeauty Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!