Good Source of Carbs?

Options
Joshacham
Joshacham Posts: 467 Member
Hey guys, I have recently got on this high protein "diet" (for lack of a better word) and it seems to cut a lot of carbs out. I don't want to cut my carbs out since it is our body's source of energy, I just want to find a good source of carbohydrates that won't kill the calorie count at the same time. I've been so run down without my carbs!

Replies

• kwtilbury
    kwtilbury Posts: 1,234 Member
    Options
    A gram of carbohydrates is four calories, no matter if it's oatmeal, rice, a banana or jelly beans. If you raise your protein intake, you're going to have to cut carbs or fat to maintain caloric levels. Maybe reduce your fat intake some instead?
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Use whole grain carbs. They don't spike blood sugar levels like white carbs. I have PCOS and have to watch carbs carefully. I use multi-grain bread and pastas made from veggies.
  • jakkrk
    jakkrk Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Your body needs carbs. Good carbs. Sweet potatoes over russets. Quinoa over rice (or use long grain). Fruits and veggies. These are my goto carbs.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    jakkrk wrote: »
    Your body needs carbs. Good carbs. Sweet potatoes over russets. Quinoa over rice (or use long grain). Fruits and veggies. These are my goto carbs.

Russet potatoes and rice aren't "bad" though . . .
  • flippy1234
    flippy1234 Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    Brown rice, Brown rice, Brown rice.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Vegetables
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat are essential.
    The body can manage without carbs.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Any. A carbohydrate can be neither good or bad, it just is.

I can guarantee that despite reading the oft trotted out "insulin spike" "brown rice" "omygahd white foods will kill you" nonsense over and over again you will live your life and be successful in your goals without having the slightest clue whether your insulin is spiking, or what colour your foods are.

For the majority of the population without a metabolic disorder the nonsense posted above are just arbitrary rules that are repeated over and over. If you like brown rice or quinwawawa then eat it, but it is not necessary in the slightest nor does it give any more real world benefit in reaching your goals than white rice or potatoes.

Eat donuts to get your carbs if you want, it really doesn't matter as long as your overall dietary intake is on point and balanced.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    cityruss wrote: »
    Any. A carbohydrate can be neither good or bad, it just is.

I can guarantee that despite reading the oft trotted out "insulin spike" "brown rice" "omygahd white foods will kill you" nonsense over and over again you will live your life and be successful in your goals without having the slightest clue whether your insulin is spiking, or what colour your foods are.

For the majority of the population without a metabolic disorder the nonsense posted above are just arbitrary rules that are repeated over and over. If you like brown rice or quinwawawa then eat it, but it is not necessary in the slightest nor does it give any more real world benefit in reaching your goals than white rice or potatoes.

Eat donuts to get your carbs if you want, it really doesn't matter as long as your overall dietary intake is on point and balanced.

^^ top quality post!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Getting a variety of food is beneficial, so I find the ideas that one should eat only a very limited selection of foods and always choose quinoa as one's grain or sweet potatoes instead of potatoes (of which there are many kinds) to be strange. Sweet potatoes are beneficial and so are the various kinds of potatoes, just in different ways, which is why it's good to vary them. Quinoa is a lovely grain (or seed or whatever) but not head and shoulders above barley or oats or whatever else one likes (I'm a weirdo and don't like rice much, but if someone does, no reason to avoid it). Same with assertions to eat kale instead of spinach or the like. I'd say if you like both, eat both, as well as chard and turnip greens and collards, etc.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    OP is asking how to add more carbs without it affecting his total calories as much.. not what will spike his insulin, or if whole grains are better than refined.

Unfortunately calories from carbs are calories from carbs. If you need to add more carbs to your diet and don't want to go over on calories, you'll have to cut calories from fat or protein.