I'm not sure where to start with lifting or strength training.

Options
kgirlhart
kgirlhart Posts: 4,977 Member
I have never been athletic or even very fit. I started on mfp at the end of Sept 2015 at 195 pounds, height 5' 4.75" and age 47. I am now 48 years old and down to 150 pounds. My GW is 135 pounds. So far the only exercise I do is I walk every day for about 3.5 - 4 miles and I do have a yoga dvd that I sometimes do. I do feel a lot more fit than I ever have and I would like to start some kind of strength training, but I really don't know where to start. I have looked at a few things but I'm a little overwhelmed. I think that my husband would be interested in helping me lift weights, but I'm not sure that he is the best personal trainer for me. He is a great guy, but he has already told me that I do not need to lift heavy. I know he worries about me hurting myself and I think he is also a little skeptical about my interest in it. I admit that in the past when he has tried to encourage me to lift weights with him I have always said I wasn't interested and I never would want to lift weights. Does anyone have any good advice for a middle aged woman on a safe way to start lifting? I really just want to strengthen the muscles that I have and feel stronger. At this time I do not have access to a gym. There is only one gym where I live and it is too expensive for my budget at this time. Plus I don't like the people who run it. I have had friends who went there and they are big on pushing "boot camps" and "body assaults" where people are bragging about losing 25 pounds in 5 weeks and I am not interested in that. I do have access to free weights at home, but not an extensive set.

Replies

• bjaneb
    bjaneb Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am 51 and just started with weights. Look into strong lifts or my favorite Jefit. I found several great plans and downloaded a few to try at home. The exercises have a demonstration of the form and complete instructions. I am still so intimidated at my gym (campus rec center) that I have a hard time using the machines.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Look into a beginners program.

New Rules of Lifting for Women (book)
    Strong Curves (book)
    Stronglifts 5x5 (free website/app)

I started with Stronglifts 5x5 last year, because I liked the simplicity of it. I bought Strong Curves last month and started the Booty-Ful Beginners program last week (there is a body weight program in the book as well).
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Google body weight programs (YAYOG, Nerd Fitness...). And SL5x5 is a good beginner barbell weight training program. The books I bought are NROLFW, Starting Strength and Strong Curves. You may be able to check them out at your public library.
  • kmbrooks15
    kmbrooks15 Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I was using the weight machines at my gym and got bored. So I started taking BodyPump classes and I love it. Now if you want to lift heavy, BodyPump isn't for you (they're about high reps/low weight). You might look into the book New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • kgirlhart
    Options
    Thanks y'all. I'll look into these. I know my husband is worried about me lifting heavy. I just really want to strengthen what I have so I'm not sure if heavy weights or high reps is the way to go.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    I just really want to strengthen what I have so I'm not sure if heavy weights or high reps is the way to go.

Relatively heavy weight and lower reps. But you won't be starting with heavy weight - you'll be learning correct form with easier weights for a while.. ideally videoing yourself to check your form. :+1:

A good program for your age group is New Rules of Lifting for Life.
  • kgirlhart
    Options
    Thanks @Cherimoose. New Rules of lifting for Life sounds like exactly what I need.
  • wutaday1
    wutaday1 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I have also used www.bodybuilding.com for free programs.