4 am work out, 1200 calorie diet, & no energy!!!!

Options

Replies

• mpt1110
    mpt1110 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    rsclause wrote: »
    Not sure if 1200 is a good amount with exercise I would up it and add more snacks like almonds. Me, I get up at 4:30 AM and run six miles. I follow that with real oatmeal with almond milk, fresh strawberries, blueberries, banana, Chia seeds and walnuts. Last time I logged it was over 1000 calories and at ten I am eating a 250 calorie bag of almonds. When I went way below my projected deficit once I felt so sick and weak I had to quit exercise for two days. Slight deficit including exercise calories works best for me.

Here I thought I was the only one that I worked out @ 4 am. It seems as though 5 am is the earliest popular time! I'm also glad I'm not the only one that went through this, lol I do eat healthy snacks but like you & I have said....I'm eating all my calories by dinner time & still no energy! A change is definitely needed....glad I didn't keep doing this & burn out.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    mpt1110 wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    Not sure if 1200 is a good amount with exercise I would up it and add more snacks like almonds. Me, I get up at 4:30 AM and run six miles. I follow that with real oatmeal with almond milk, fresh strawberries, blueberries, banana, Chia seeds and walnuts. Last time I logged it was over 1000 calories and at ten I am eating a 250 calorie bag of almonds. When I went way below my projected deficit once I felt so sick and weak I had to quit exercise for two days. Slight deficit including exercise calories works best for me.

Here I thought I was the only one that I worked out @ 4 am. It seems as though 5 am is the earliest popular time! I'm also glad I'm not the only one that went through this, lol I do eat healthy snacks but like you & I have said....I'm eating all my calories by dinner time & still no energy! A change is definitely needed....glad I didn't keep doing this & burn out.

I feel like it's always easier to start slowly and add more later than it is to over-do it and then pull back. Chances are, if you over-do it at first, you'll end up quitting instead of just down-shifting.
  • mpt1110
    Options
    I'm on about the same schedule as you, but with higher calories, and energy hasn't been an issue. I think you need to up your calories a bit.
    Also, it may just take you awhile to adjust. Or if you REALLY need the extra sleep, you should ditch your workout buddy ;)

Do you mind me asking how many calories your on?
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,008 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine getting up at 3:30 in the morning for any reason. As far as I am concerned that is the middle of the night. I guess if you went to bed at 8:30 that will help, but since I usually go to bed around 11 and get up at 7 that seems as hard for me as getting up in the middle of the night. I do think that getting that little sleep and that little calories is not going to work well for you in the long run. Do you have a job? Sedentary is really for people who don't move much during the day like at a desk job. If you are more active during the day you need more than 1200 calories. And if you are working out also you should eat back at least half of the exercise calories. Plus you don't have to make all these changes at once. Start with the diet and then you can add the exercise. Your diet will help you lose weight, your exercise will help you be fit.
  • FitFLNana
    FitFLNana Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Two days you've been at this and you're exhausted, really?????
  • jpdbigbend
    jpdbigbend Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree that you need more sleep. Plus, figure out your actual calorie burn from workout and ADD it to the 1200 calorie goal. Also, give it longer, my current program took several days before I saw more than an ounce difference, but then I lost almost 2 lbs! I also found eating high fiber foods helped me not be as hungry. Favorite is fresh broccoli and cauliflower with dill dip made from fat free sour cream, dried dill, garlic salt, and a little lime juice. Good luck!!!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I would say the sleep for sure.

I don't function well on 6 hours either...I go to bed usually shortly after 9:30...up at 6...so about 8 hours of sleep.
    FitFLNana wrote: »

some people don't do well on little sleep...not a big deal.
  • jpdbigbend
    jpdbigbend Posts: 3 Member
    Options

Whether you intended or not, your comment was not nice or helpful.
  • walking2running
    walking2running Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I've followed a similar plan since December and I'm doing ok. If anything, I have more energy now. I go to bed at 8:30 pm and I get up at 4:30 am. I eat on average about 1400 calories.

If you're at 1200 calories before dinner, you can have a smaller dinner (400 calories) and NET 1200 calories (if that's your goal). I go to bed early so I have less opportunity to snack at night. Usually, I'll have a small dinner (but big on volume) which consists of a BIG chopped salad, steamed vegetables, and a protein.

Or, you can try to curb your snacking. If you create a habit of snacking every hour, you may not be actually hungry, but just following a habit. Have a cup of tea instead, or some coffee.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    RGv2 wrote: »
    This^^^

And are you talking 1200 net, or gross?

Absolutely disguise math so I'm going to say that I was set at 1200 to eat daily, if I burned 400 calories...it would add 400 to 1200 - does that give you the answer?! lol

So you're actually aiming for 1600 calories total?

I agree with everyone else that you're probably having a tough time with only 6 hours sleep. That's about what I get in per night if I go to the gym the next day, but almost always find a day in the middle where I can sleep in an extra 45 min's or so.
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    More of everything...sleep, calories and time.
  • sebedina
    sebedina Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    i think 1400 is more realistic and better for your body
  • deluxmary2000
    deluxmary2000 Posts: 981 Member
    Options
    I'm on about the same schedule as you, but with higher calories, and energy hasn't been an issue. I think you need to up your calories a bit.
    Also, it may just take you awhile to adjust. Or if you REALLY need the extra sleep, you should ditch your workout buddy ;)

Do you mind me asking how many calories your on?

I'm not a good comparison, because I'm about 9" taller than you ;)
  • Kimo159
    Kimo159 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I'd rather work out alone then sacrifice sleep to work out with a friend. I'm such a selfish person ;) In all honesty though 1200 calories might be a little low for your body. I'd aim a little higher and go for a 1 lb/week loss, that's sustainable. I would also try to get more sleep, whether that's going to bed earlier or ditching your gym bud to go a little later, whatever works for you.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options

She's not eating enough or sleeping enough. Of course she's exhausted.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I'd say you need to eat and sleep more, both are crucial; A healthy lifestyle should include 7-9 hours of sleep every night. When I received my Fitbit, by using the Sleep monitor feature, I quickly adjusted my lifestyle and went from getting 4-5 hours a night to between 8 - 9 a night. WHAT a difference it makes in EVERY day! My workouts are stronger, my mood is better, I'm just more productive. Yes, one can exist on much less than that, but quality of life should be of utmost importance. As to your calorie goal, you may believe by sticking to 1200 calories you're helping yourself to lose weight faster. But in reality, you're setting yourself up to fail, in my thinking. That's just too aggressive for most people ( Again, yes it can be done. ) But it doesn't have to be torturous either, and if you want to have good energy throughout the whole day, proper and adequate nutrition is really important!! It could even help your sleep patterns, and vice versa!!! I would suggest upping your calories by a couple of hundred to start with. Watch your trends after the first 4 or 5 weeks, then adjust, maybe even increasing if you're losing at a nice pace!! I'm eating anywhere from 1500-1900 (depending on if its a workout day) and still losing.. 46, 5'3...It CAN be done, without being so hard! Good luck xo
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,910 Member
    Options
    Plus adequate sleep is essential for regeneration and getting stronger.
  • mpt1110
    Options
    This^^^

And are you talking 1200 net, or gross?

Absolutely disguise math so I'm going to say that I was set at 1200 to eat daily, if I burned 400 calories...it would add 400 to 1200 - does that give you the answer?! lol

So you're actually aiming for 1600 calories total?

I agree with everyone else that you're probably having a tough time with only 6 hours sleep. That's about what I get in per night if I go to the gym the next day, but almost always find a day in the middle where I can sleep in an extra 45 min's or so.

I wasn't particularly aiming for 1600 calories, I was set @ 1200 calories on MFP from last year's goals....here I just picked up where I left off but my routine drastically changed, didn't think of changing my settings on MFP. I think I'm okay now! lol Thank you for your help :)
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I would say set your goal for 1 lb or less a week. I think you should be able to start at 1300-1400 calories instead of 1200. Eat back some of your exercise calories too.
    Sleep more. Try for 7-8 hours.
    Consider getting your diet in order before adding 1 hour exercise sessions. Start with 10-30 minute workouts instead.
  • Nachise
    Nachise Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    You probably need more sleep. Go to bed earlier, sleep in another couple of hours, or exercise later in the day. Do you eat before your workout? I would perish if I didn't have breakfast or a snack before my morning workout.

Personally, I don't even know my name much before 6:00 am, and I don't function well at that time of day. I am on the short side of 5'4", and a 1200 calorie limit is not unreasonable for the purposes of weight loss. Making every bite count is the trick.