Are you ever embarrased?

Options

Replies

• nlevesque11887
    nlevesque11887 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I do tell people that I've lost 165lbs "so far" - this is a journey that I've committed to and I want to feel proud of myself after so many years of feeling ashamed. Only a few people know my actual weight, and the rest don't ask anyway, but most know that I still have a way to go as I'm waiting for surgery and my BMI has to be a certain point.

Be proud of your achievement, you're doing this for you x

Great job Chatter. That is awesome. And you're correct, this has to be a commitment. I am committed to getting to a healthy weight and staying there for the rest of my life, however long that will be. Good luck with the surgery. I hope all goes well for you!
  • Kerryatoon
    Kerryatoon Posts: 374 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I can understand this completely. I have other "addictions" that I have recovered from and I can use all the tools in my journey to fitness as well. I was told what others here have already said, you don't have to disclose anything you don't want to about your journey. It's your business. In my experience, you will most likely reach a point where you detach "who you are" from "your behaviors/body/past" and the shame will no longer be there. You will realize that you are valuable and loved no matter what, and that you have the unique ability to help where others can't.

What we are doing is a form of recovery.. we are changing our lives through self-love and commitment, and our experiences will be our greatest gift to those around us. We can offer compassion, understanding, and hope, as someone who has "been in the trenches". We are uniquely qualified by our past.

This is an excerpt called "The Promises" from a great book that changed my life.

"If we are painstaking about this phase of our development, we will be amazed before we are half way through.

We are going to know a new freedom and a new happiness.

We will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it.

We will comprehend the word serenity and we will know peace.

No matter how far down the scale we have gone, we will see how our experience can benefit others.

That feeling of uselessness and self pity will disappear."

Congratulations on all you have accomplished!! You're a miracle! :)
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I feel weird about it. I'm proud that I've lost 60 pounds so far, and I know I can handle the next 50 to get to my goal weight. I'm proud that I can do difficult exercises I wouldn't have even tried in the past. I'm proud that I've done it without fads or pyramid schemes and that I'm much healthier than before.
    But, I'm really ashamed that ever I allowed myself to hit my highest weight, so I have a hard time talking about exact numbers with family and friends. Especially since they're supportive of my efforts (and they could physically see that I was very fat - it's not like it was a secret). I get really embarrassed if they ask direct questions about what I'm doing and how much I've lost, even though I can see they're impressed by my progress. I finally admitted to my mother how much my highest weight was because I was so happy I was finally back in the 100s, though I felt uncomfortable doing it. It was too hard to be vague about leaving the 200s behind.
  • rumswood
    rumswood Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I definitely know what you mean! I started out at 201 and I'm down to 155 on my way to goal of 130-135. I feel proud that I've lost what I have a far, bit at t h e same time I feel ashamed of letting myself go to that point.
  • AllSpiceNice
    AllSpiceNice Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your success! Always remember, YOU get to choose what you share and with whom you share it! My starting weight, current pounds lost, goal weight, current weight - all are personal information and no one else's business. If others are comfortable sharing this info with anyone and everyone, that's great! I, however, am not.

Oddly, it is the people who I don't know well who seem most compelled to ask what I perceive as overly personal questions. I appreciate support, and understand the curiosity - I lost almost 90 pounds in less than 2 years, the change was visible and significant. So I would politely respond with a smile and something like "making progress but still working on it".

If they keep pushing, I look them straight in the the eye, smile, and repeat my first statement.

Anyone that pushes the question a third time gets "kitten" slapped. ;-)

The good news is that those questions are decreasing now that I'm in maintenance and no longer in loss mode.
  • fidangul
    fidangul Posts: 673 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I don't feel embarrassed. But for me to give an answer It depends on who's asking and why... If I feel it's a genuine question, yeah I'll share. But if I feel it's just to judge or size me up, then no. At the end of the day it's up to me if I want to share info or not.... However, I always share on MFP, I feel like its the whole point of it.
    Oddly, it is the people who I don't know well who seem most compelled to ask what I perceive as overly personal questions. I appreciate support, and understand the curiosity - I lost almost 90 pounds in less than 2 years, the change was visible and significant. So I would politely respond with a smile and something like "making progress but still working on it".

^^^ It's the same in my experience!!
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    you should be proud of your accomplisment! and also in the telling is a chance to raise awarness for people with wieght issues and tell your success story. They might have a loved one who is strugglign with weight issues or misconceptions of their own and it is a chance to enlighten them. No one should ever have to feel ashamed of who they are and where they have been in their journey. if they are going to judge negativly or use that info for the wrong reasons its on them, not on you. Keep on your good path and dont let the fear of others opinions bring you down. And if its your opinion of yourself, when ever you feel ashamed it is a lesson and wake up call for you that you have inner work to do and drop some of the weight of all those negative thoughts and feelings. And they do weight us down, our spirits and our effots as much as the physical weight does.
  • Josh_lol
    Josh_lol Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't say embarrassed but I often never really tell people. I've had a few people tell me they've seen the weight I've lost but unless they ask me how much I've lost, I never really say anything.

Is that just me not knowing how to be proud of my achievements or just being humble?
  • yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    Options
    I've never been embarrassed (online or in person) about what I weight now (172), what I used to weigh (200) or how much I lost* (46).

*I've intentionally put on weight while lifting so the used to weigh number minus the weight lost doesn't equal my current weight
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I would never give the actual number - except on here. If people ask me how much I've lost I either say "some" or "a little".
  • agzram
    agzram Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    What I'm more embarrassed about is that I walked around at my before picture for 10ish years of my life.

I felt terrible because of the 100+ extra pounds I was lugging around and I looked terrible too. I'm still hoping to get down another 30 pounds and and then I'll finally be out of the "overweight" BMI and firmly into the "normal" range. I'm slowing my loss down now that I've been at it 9 months and focusing more on my fitness goals and truly maintaining this new and improved lifestyle.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!