Indoor Cardio at home?

Options
So here's the deal: I do belong to a gym but haven't been able to make it there due to having no one to watch my daughter. It doesn't have childcare there either. And I would do at home cardio videos from YouTube but I'm in an upstairs apartment and my neighbors are stupid and complain. Are there any exercises that I can do at home that will still help me burn fat and not disturb my neighbors?

Replies

• awholenewworld
    awholenewworld Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I do circuits. Pick 4-5 different exercises and do so many reps of each and do them all in order and do as many circuits of it as possible. Gets your heart rate going and works your muscles all at once. Good luck!
  • AliciaBerries
    AliciaBerries Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Millionaire hoy on YouTube has a bunch of quiet cardio workouts. Low impact but still really challenging.

• sherrycwj
    sherrycwj Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your complex should have a no noise time, so long as you exercise before that time, you should be okay. That's why I choose an upstairs apt so I won't hear others (which doesn't always work). I do Leslie Sansone walk away the pounds. Hope this helps.
  • HamsterManV2
    HamsterManV2 Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Make a list of workouts you can do without disturbing the floor beneath you.

Things like mountainclimbers, kettlebell swings for cardio, combined with planks/leg raises, pushups and wall squat holds/ wall sits (with little rest in between) will leave you gasping for air and muscles burning. Once you have a list, you can find something that works for you in your apartment.
  • newengland11
    newengland11 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. My boyfriend works during the day so he has the car so I don't have a way to the park. That's what I was originally doing when he worked overnights. As for the no noise time, there is one, but the people beneath me are very old and complain so much the apartment manager just asks us to kinda comply.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Get a decent quality exercise/spinning bike (or a real bike on a trainer) and put a rubber mat under it, there are tons of great free videos that will have you burning calories and building your fitness without disturbing your crotchety neighbours.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    i do circuits, too - more like 12 exercises and repeat between them.

but you can get a folding exercise bike for under $100 at amazon, although our schwinn 170 is much better quality than they are. still, there are some that are quite reasonably priced and utterly silent. i used to use an exerpeutic that didn't make any sound at all.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    Check out SWORKIT app (free)
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Jessica Smith TV & WalkAtHome (Leslie Sansone) have lots of walking style workouts

www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLe5P3ayTEj7aejY9MC8-0S6oTqx5j0aGK

www.youtube.com/user/walkathomemedia

"Walking workouts" are code for (generally) low impact with no choreography. Sometimes they have a few high impact moves, you can always sub in something else. I like to do these on a yoga mat to muffle the noise.
  • itsbasschick
    Options
    personally i prefer not to make my neighbors unhappy, and i prefer they not make me unhappy, either. use an exercise bike, everyone wins.
  • AliceAxe
    AliceAxe Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    low impact aerobics and marshal arts type of workouts where you have to be very soft and quite in your step combined with some sort of soft footware?
  • cocohenderson
    cocohenderson Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try zumba!! I do it on the wii, dvds and using youtube. Your kids might even want to do it with you- my coworkers son likes to do it with her.. its really just dancing in the privacy of your own home :)
  • sarochka85
    sarochka85 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    personally i prefer not to make my neighbors unhappy, and i prefer they not make me unhappy, either. use an exercise bike, everyone wins.

Agreed. Do you have space for this, or a secondhand elliptical?
  • itsbasschick
    edited May 2016
    Options
    sarochka85 wrote: »

Agreed. Do you have space for this, or a secondhand elliptical?

a folding exercise bike is quite small. elliptical, not so much.

this is pretty small and folds smaller
    www.amazon.com/Exerpeutic-Folding-Magnetic-Upright-Pulse/dp/B007595TKU/ref=sr_1_1

and there are several brands that are smaller and under $100
    http://www.amazon.com/Marcy-NS652-Foldable-Excercise-Bike/dp/B0090OKG38/ref=sr_1_2

or there are things like this -
    http://www.amazon.com/Sunny-Health-Fitness-SF-B0418-Magnetic/dp/B00QIM5CMA/ref=sr_1_1?
    i used to have the $150 magnetrainer, and it was actually quite good and utterly silent.
  • shondaj70
    shondaj70 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try looking up silent hiit workouts on youtube. I'm on the 3rd floor and my downstairs neighbor says she never hears me exercising. I've worked up a great sweat and felt awesome and sore the next day!
  • a_candler
    a_candler Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Perhaps bake a batch of cookies, and go talk to neighbors asking if there's a good time you can workout? Explaining there's no other way to get in shape while at home with daughter ect... if they know what the loud banging and jumping is maybe they won't get so upset, also if it fits around THEIR nap time lol
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Drive boyfriend to work one day a week so you can have car!
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    Would taking your daughter to the park or a playground and running around with her be something you could do? It could be a fun way to exercise and be active.

This. And great bonding with your daughter.