Diuretics - does anyone use

Options
I just bought a diuretic today. Never used before. Wondering if anyone else has or uses long term. . This is only for short term due to menstrual cycle.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Why? You want to lose fat not water weight.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I use them before boarding flights as my ankles swell up for some reason.
  • Shellymarie604
    Shellymarie604 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I just stated for menstrual cycle not for fat loss.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I don't, but my mother, who has kidney failure, does. Be careful with them. It is very easy to throw your electrolyte levels of of whack.
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    using a mild diuretic during one's period to avoid water gain is really common. there's a light one built into some pain relievers with a focus on menstrual pain. pamprin has pamabrom, for example; midol is now relying on caffeine to act as diuretic, although their midol teen has pamabrom, bragging that it's caffeine free.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I haven't used them before but thought that was an interesting use - bump for later!
  • Shellymarie604
    Options
    I will report in a few days if I notice any difference.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I googled "dehydration" yesterday after thinking about diuretics. Might be worth a look for anyone considering taking a diuretic. I've often thought that I'd like to suggest to people who are anxious about a certain date/event that perhaps they should just lose weight in a sustainable fashion and take a diuretic on their big day. But if that event involves alcohol, and therefore dehydration, or sweat (as in from exercise or time on the beach) this is terrible advice.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I can't even imagine... as if I wasn't going to the toilet enough as it is. I already dread going to the movies or anywhere where I won't be able to use the bathroom for 2 hours. Ugh.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Did you even read the post? She uses them exactly for their purpose: excess bloating, which happens to many women for their menstrual cycle. I am one of those women, and yes I do use water pills for 3-4 days a month. Usually the day before my period until it's over. You have to make sure you drink PLENTY of water, I drink a whole extra Liter on days I take a diuretic.
  • Shellymarie604
    Options
    I agree. I am only using it for shark week for bloating. Not for permanent weight loss.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I will admit I have used "water pills" in the past from being so bloated that I was swimming in my own living room. It has been necessary from in taking huge amounts of sodium from previous meals or days of eating three or four days worth at a time ( i don;t do this anymore).. The TOM water never bothers me that much, but if it accompanied high sodium days... however...

But I will say that these are not even necessary to get rid of water weight and bloating, all you need to do is increase your water intake, you will pee just as much and more than the pills! Trick too is have some caffeinated drinks though the day with your water and drink a power ade or gatorade during the day to balance eltrolytes.. works like a charm..

one more trick, its hard during TOM, but if want to cut down on water retention, cut your carbs for a day or two, you will loose water as for each carb you eat, you hold about 2.7 or 3 grams of water!

• Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Please don't do this. Even after 2-3 days of diruetics, your potassium could be depleted. Especially if you exercise and drink a decent amount of water to begin with. Consume less sodium and give it a few days. That should help.
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    queenliz99 wrote: »

Did you even read the post? She uses them exactly for their purpose: excess bloating, which happens to many women for their menstrual cycle. I am one of those women, and yes I do use water pills for 3-4 days a month. Usually the day before my period until it's over. You have to make sure you drink PLENTY of water, I drink a whole extra Liter on days I take a diuretic.

My reading comprehension is alive and well, thank you. I wanted clarification. Diuretics are not necessary. I am one of "those" women too. You just learn to deal with it.
  • MsBuzzkillington
    MsBuzzkillington Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    But your period bloating is only temporary? So what does it matter if you're bloated for a few days a week? It doesn't affect your overall weight loss.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    I use a mild diuretic every single day, it's built into my blood pressure meds
  • xtina315
    xtina315 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I use pamprin which has it in them. I don't really notice a difference but I sometimes gain up to 10lbs during TOM.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    But your period bloating is only temporary? So what does it matter if you're bloated for a few days a week? It doesn't affect your overall weight loss.

Headaches are only temporary too, but people the world over enjoy the relief of over the counter medication :) same deal to me. I could just suffer though a headache or suffer through the bloaty feeling but I'd rather be able to feel comfortable.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    I retain water on vacation (too much salt cooked into food) and when flying. I have found a glass of cranberry juice, an emergenC and plenty of water throughout the day has really helped.

I only peed out 3 lbs of water weight when I returned from my latest trip instead of the usual 4-6.
    I didn't pee more often while I was away, but each visit was a much greater volume.

I have always been hesitant to try a diuretic, no idea why.
    Cheers, h.
  • Labyrinthine93
    Labyrinthine93 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    One of my daily medications is also a potassium sparing diuretic. Gives me dry mouth, but makes me pee a lot. Which is really what they are for.