Washing your hair twice a day. Good or bad idea?

Options
2011rocket3touring
2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
I do cardio in the early morning, shower, wash hair and go to work. I'm thinking about adding resistance training in the PM a few days a week, which of course would lead to needing to wash my hair again.
Right now when I wash my hair I use a leave-in conditioner and it seems to be holding up well, I thought about shaving but don't think the wife would like that (it's not a battle I want to wage).
Thoughts?

Replies

• jen_bush
    jen_bush Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    My hairdresser always says to wash the hair whenever it needs to be washed - there is no good or bad and each person needs a different amount of washes. Not washing your hair after sweating could lead to acne and bad skin in general - I wash it once a day and then after every workout
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    I think washing it twice a day would strip it of its natural oils, leaving it to get quite dry.

I use Batisse dry shampoo inbetween washings to soak up moisture, oils, etc.
  • salembambi
    salembambi Posts: 5,592 Member
    Options
    i only rinse my hair with water everyday which is after my workout

honestly i dont even wash my hair i only rinse it with apple cider vinegar once or twice a week
  • jen_bush
    jen_bush Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Chemically the way it works is shampoo takes oils out of your hair and conditioner replaces them. So your hair won't get dried out if you use nice moisturising shampoo
  • jlc102980
    jlc102980 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    In the evenings just rinse it with water - no shampoo or conditioner. Then wash it in the morning as usual.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even suggest washing it EVERY day, tbh...You're stripping your hair of its' natural oils.
  • _dixiana_
    _dixiana_ Posts: 3,262 Member
    Options
    I wash twice a week but that's what works for me. If I sweat too badly I'll just rinse it with water.
  • synchkat
    synchkat Posts: 37,369 Member
    Options
    I wash my hair every day. I hate the feeling of dirty hair. And it's hair it grows back. I get it cut like once a year to cut off the fried bits.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Depends on how oily your hair gets. When I was younger I washed my hair every other day now I wash it once or twice a week. It use to be oily but as i have aged my hair has gotten drier in texture and has gotten thinner as well
  • draco706
    draco706 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I would ask you hair dresser/ stylist if you have on or ask a friend for a recommendation of a stylist. It may be different based on your hair. I wash my hair 3 times a week. I just rinse it after most workouts or put in a little conditioner. But my hair stylist knows my hair well, has been doing it for nearly 8 years and knows how often I cut it, dye it and that I don't blow-dry it but I do swim with it about once a week. More than 3X a week and it starts shedding like mad.