What NSV did you achieve today?

Options
Greetings all. I have a lot of *kitten* going on in life ATM, and trying to stay positive and focus on what is going right vs. What's going wrong. I am not a positive person by default, so sometimes it is a lot of work. With that in mind I thought I would share something good about today. It may seem lame to some, but maybe it will help someone else find good in their day as well. Let us all try to find and share a victory we had today.

Six years ago my wife and I because home owners. We had both always lived in apartments, so we had nothing in the way of grounds keeping tools that are important when you have an actual lawn. Some close friends were kind enough to give us a push mower and other things they had extra of, but were in need of minor repair. The mower was pretty old and had been stored in the back of their shed for 10 years or more due to a broken handle and pulley. About ten dollars in parts and an afternoon later I had it cutting grass just fine.

Fast forward six years and this beast is still going. Every year I take it out for the first time and wonder if it will make it another round. The process for getting it started for the first time in the season almost always involves a lot of huffing, puffing, yelling, and cursing. by the time I get it running I am usually tapped out and have to wait to mow until the next day.

This year I am in better shape than I have been on years. For the past five months I have faithfully tracked my calories, and have been getting to the gym 3 days a week. I noticed it was time to start on the lawn, and have been dreading the process of getting the mower running. I finally got up the gumption to drag the vile beast from its lair this afternoon, fulling intending to spend the day raging against the machine.

I checked the lines, flipped the switch and braced myself to begin what I was sure was going to be hours of yanking on the pull cord. Within the first few pulls I realized this year was different.

The past few years after three or four pulls I would already be exhausted, pouring sweat and mumbling curses under my breath. This year it felt effortless. Within ten minutes the mower was running and the lawn was being tamed.

So there it is, my non scale victory for today. It may seem lame to some, but being able to pull that cord with what felt like little effort felt huge to me. Sometimes you don't realize how far you have come until you can accomplish with ease something that used to require an all out effort. I am now enjoying a refreshing beverage on my porch, enjoying this beautiful northern Michigan evening, looking out at my freshly shorn lawn. Am I the only one that lives the smell of fresh cut grass?

That's it, my NSV, although a small thing to some, to me it is a reason to smile today. What was your victory today? Look at the small battles you have won today, appreciate them, be cause every battle won is a step closer to winning the war.

Replies

• tugsandpulls760
    tugsandpulls760 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    i was the biggest looser in my wight loss support group its a scale victory i know but still felt good
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I guess my biggest NSV today would be that typically on rainy days my arthritis gets worse. Before I started MFP in January, this constant rain all day would have meant that I was hobbling around like a 90yr old (which since I'm only 41, looks weird), barely moving or able to walk. Today, I'm sore but no problem at all moving. Been running all around the office all day, lots of energy and you wouldn't even know I have arthritis :smile:
  • jennie361
    jennie361 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Did 2 (and and a half) pull ups :smile:
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    good for everyone posting in this thread - in different ways, these all sound like real victories!

due to bursitis plus hip and leg issues, i haven't been able to ride an exercise bike for some time, but today was my second ride, and i increased the resistance for a while. so far, no pain or issues, so i'm feeling really good about this :)
  • AlyM725
    AlyM725 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Went to the gym today when I really didn't want to (too many rainy days is bringing me down) but I went anyway and had a great workout!
  • Noelani1503
    Noelani1503 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Great job everyone! My NSV was at lunch today, with a full basket of chips & salsa, 2 tacos, refried beans & rice in front of me.... I ate till about 60% capacity and didn't stuff myself. I even left over the rice, beans and chips :smile: My self control is getting better, which will hopefully translate to some losses!

I swear self control is like a muscle. The more you use it, the stronger it gets.

My NSV today is my glutes are sore. First time in my life I've been able to use them properly. I squat and deadlift all day (thanks to my 35 lb toddler lol), but I've never actually activated my glutes. I'm loving the burn, and my lower back is blissfully free of aching.
  • 120poundstogo
    120poundstogo Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Nice job everyone! I have a piece of lingerie that was way too tight for me and now is really loose.