Exercise Timing

Options
brb_2013
brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
I am curious if there is a significant difference between doing all sets of a bodyweight exercise in succession, versus spreading them out 1-2 sets at a time throughout the day.

If in the end the amounts of sets/reps are equal, effort is equal, is there a difference when it comes to retaining muscle during a deficit? Or does it all need to be one cohesive exercise (like circuit training)?

Replies

• hill8570
    hill8570 Posts: 1,466 Member
    Options
    Probably no significant difference from a muscle retention viewpoint. Will make a difference from an endurance point of view, of course.
  • brb_2013
    Options
    hill8570 wrote: »
    Probably no significant difference from a muscle retention viewpoint. Will make a difference from an endurance point of view, of course.

Right, and I'm sure for building mass as well!! But right now I'm just looking to maintain what I have, while I lose weight.

Just want to make sure it's okay to split it up!
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    brb_2013 wrote: »
    hill8570 wrote: »

Right, and I'm sure for building mass as well!! But right now I'm just looking to maintain what I have, while I lose weight.

Just want to make sure it's okay to split it up!

Not sure if that's really going to make a difference unless we are talking higher reps here.
  • kirstinethornburg
    kirstinethornburg Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I would ask a personal trainer or a professional of some type
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I am curious if there is a significant difference between doing all sets of a bodyweight exercise in succession, versus spreading them out 1-2 sets at a time throughout the day.

If in the end the amounts of sets/reps are equal, effort is equal, is there a difference when it comes to retaining muscle during a deficit? Or does it all need to be one cohesive exercise (like circuit training)?

The issue is that the energy required and effort is not equal.

If you are taking long rests between sets the effort and energy required is different.

You have more energy and takes less effort.

The point is to engage and tax the muscles.
  • feisty_bucket
    feisty_bucket Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

Yeah, growth happens while resting. You ideally want to stimulate them briefly, then rest them so they can repair and improve.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    What you really want to do is stimulate as many muscle fibers as you can. Doing a set stimulates some of the fibers in a particular muscle or muscle group. Resting a few minutes leaves some/many of those fibers fatigued, so the next set will engage more fibers. Lather, rinse, repeat. If you wait too long between sets, those fibers that were originally fatigued are now rested - meaning the "extra/other" muscle fibers won't get used - at least, not nearly as much as they should.

In short, do all of your squats (or whatever) in one session. If you want to do another exercise (if squats in the morning - pushups or whatever) in the afternoon, that's fine - do all of your pushups in the afternoon.
  • brb_2013
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

The issue is that the energy required and effort is not equal.

If you are taking long rests between sets the effort and energy required is different.

You have more energy and takes less effort.

I understand, but I can only do 2 at a time at the moment. That does tax my muscles. Then when I have time later, I try to do a few more. Yesterday I managed a total of 4 sets, but split.

I will try to find a trained pro to ask, but basically is something better than nothing or am I wasting my time completely?
  • brb_2013
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    What you really want to do is stimulate as many muscle fibers as you can. Doing a set stimulates some of the fibers in a particular muscle or muscle group. Resting a few minutes leaves some/many of those fibers fatigued, so the next set will engage more fibers. Lather, rinse, repeat. If you wait too long between sets, those fibers that were originally fatigued are now rested - meaning the "extra/other" muscle fibers won't get used - at least, not nearly as much as they should.

In short, do all of your squats (or whatever) in one session. If you want to do another exercise (if squats in the morning - pushups or whatever) in the afternoon, that's fine - do all of your pushups in the afternoon.

Are you saying that there's no point in extra sets later on? I really can only do 2 sets of 10 at a time before I lose proper form. So is it at all beneficial to me, to do 4 total sets in 2 separate acts, or do I just stick with 2 sets and be done? I'm just wondering if there is any benefit to my body by doing more when I'm recovered (and have the time. I fit them in when the kids at work are occupied, but that is only a few minutes at a time)
  • TR0berts
    Options
    I really can only do 2 sets of 10 at a time before I lose proper form.

Oh, well, in that case (since it wasn't mentioned in your OP), that's basically fine. I thought you meant - like another thread from the past few days - that you were going to only do one set at a time. In your case, go for it.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that you have to lift heavy reps to help retain lean body mass during weight loss. Add resistance.
  • TR0berts
    Options
    rileyes wrote: »
    My understanding is that you have to lift heavy reps to help retain lean body mass during weight loss. Add resistance.

Nope. You just "need" progressive resistance. Bodyweight is fine.
  • rileyes
    rileyes Posts: 1,406 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    rileyes wrote: »

Nope. You just "need" progressive resistance. Bodyweight is fine.

Progressively heavy resistance in a deficit. So, if bodyweight, this would mean progressing toward single leg/arm movements.