calories of canned food

Options
Are the calories indicated on canned food like Tuna or red beans show calories of net weight or the whole can (food+water or syrup or whatever the food is in)???

Tried to search the net for such an answer and I failed to find straight accurate one.

So..how do I log my canned food calories in MFP?

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    It should say drained on canned fish products. If it's beets or beans, then the weight includes the liquid. If you just want the veggies or beans, drain them and weigh them and look them up under "cooked" in myfp
  • MelissaLimeKiwi
    MelissaLimeKiwi Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I think if you drainand rinse it's not less calories but it is less sodium.
  • pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    spcmartinm wrote: »

It's not less calories, but the can usually includes the liquid weight in the nutrition info per serving
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I weigh most things, but for some odd reason I decided to believe what it said on my canned Bumble Bee Pink Salmon. I was wrong to do that. I weighed my last can, after I drained it (and I squeeze out all the water), and instead of itbeing 4 ounces, it weighed as 3.05 ounces (and I check my scale about once a month using nickels [5g] and I trust it). That makes a difference from the label of 28 calories less calories, but more importantly for me, it is 6 less grams of protein, which means I haven't been getting as much protein as I thought I was. So it's a great idea to weigh everything.
  • ralostaz2000
    ralostaz2000 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    spcmartinm wrote: »

It's not less calories, but the can usually includes the liquid weight in the nutrition info per serving
    Correct...it's not less calories as calories indicated equals food + liqiud...so calories of the food itself drained will be higher in calories as it is of more quantity then.