Why Do People Keep Saying This...?

Replies

• t1nk6
    t1nk6 Posts: 215
    Oh dear...of course 1 pound of two different things weighs the same...however if you took a peice of muscle and a peice of fat that were exactly the same size....lets say for example both the size of a golf ball...the muscle would weigh heavier...

thats a clear and simple answer.. seriously how numb are some people haha
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Dude, nobody believes that a pound of muscle is heavier than a pound of fat.

spend more time on the threads...this one comes up about a million times a day or someone says I gained weight and someone says "its probably muscle"....
    That's a whole other issue based on the misconception that you can gain muscle mass really easily, even on a deficit. And still, I've never seen anyone saying "it's ok, you probably gained muscle, and 1lb of muscle is heavier than 1 lb of fat".

Oh I have most definitely seen that...where someone says they gained and someone says "maybe its muscle"....so it is definitely out there...

but I agree with where you are coming from ...
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    double post
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Because by volume it does!

Yep. Which should be obviously implied by the statement "muscle weighs more than fat".
  • smittybuilt19
    smittybuilt19 Posts: 955 Member
    A pound of poop equals a pound of relief.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Everything weighs the same as everything else. Happy now?
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Dude, nobody believes that a pound of muscle is heavier than a pound of fat.

spend more time on the threads...this one comes up about a million times a day or someone says I gained weight and someone says "its probably muscle"....
    That's a whole other issue based on the misconception that you can gain muscle mass really easily, even on a deficit. And still, I've never seen anyone saying "it's ok, you probably gained muscle, and 1lb of muscle is heavier than 1 lb of fat".

What Jester said. I have definitely seen people say 'oh I gained 2 lbs after my first p90x workout' and other people say 'oh it's muscle!' but not that somehow a pound of muscle is heavier than a pound of fat. I will definitely agree that far too many people think you can put on muscle overnight.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member

Are you saying that I weigh the same as an elephant? Are you calling me fat.....again? :sad:
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member

Are you saying that I weigh the same as an elephant? Are you calling me fat.....again? :sad:

But you also weigh the same as a supermodel ... :D
  • cats847
    cats847 Posts: 131
    Everybody knows this and multiple pointless threads have already been made over this.
    Muscle is more dense than fat and thus technically it does weigh more.
    Everyone knows what people are implying when this is said so there's no need
    For people to act like they're Einstein with semi witty remarks.

hahahaha, this!! :P
  • Morninglory81
    Morninglory81 Posts: 1,190 Member
    Because by volume it does!

Yep. Which should be obviously implied by the statement "muscle weighs more than fat".
    not everyone understands to compare two things you must have a variable that is the same. It's unfortunate but people tend not to want to think things through.
  • CrankMeUp
    CrankMeUp Posts: 2,860 Member
    is there cake here?
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    The relative size of 1lb of muscle is much smaller than the relative size of 1lb of fat.

Get over it.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member

But you also weigh the same as a supermodel ... :D

Exactly, this. If anything, Thomas, you should be offended because I called you skinny.
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    tumblr_loexs06L2d1qb4v8go1_500.jpg

I love the smell of science in the morning.
  • Fitfully_me
    Fitfully_me Posts: 647 Member
    Muscle weighs more than fat?! 1 lb = 1 lb. 1 lb of feathers weighs the same as 1 lb of leather which weighs the same as 1 lb of rocks. Geez. *Rant over*

Yeah... this one gets me too. But, I digress.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    is there cake here?

Pound cake. Which apparently weighs the same as angel food cake. Or something...
  • vingogly
    vingogly Posts: 1,785 Member
    ... Fat is fluffy and squishy.

We used to have a cat named Fluffy ... but after he ran out in the street we renamed him Squishy.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    I call bingo!!!!!!
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Best thread ever since I've been here - worth the most :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/321105-worst-advice-you-ve-seen-on-these-boards?page=8

I just read all 20+ pages to get a well needed laugh. :laugh: